Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what's assassins? :|

ReputationRep:
    Theres this society in cambridge called the 'assassins guild' where people are given targets and have to 'assassinate' them with mock weapons (water pistols, cardboard knives stc.). Its apparently really fun, funny to laugh at people anyway when your friends get soaked by complete strangers

Um, and Tek? helenias right, your not really helping the public school image here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiserSoze)
    Theres this society in cambridge called the 'assassins guild' where people are given targets and have to 'assassinate' them with mock weapons (water pistols, cardboard knives stc.). Its apparently really fun, funny to laugh at people anyway when your friends get soaked by complete strangers
    Yeh, we have a society like that here. A handy hint: scientists are generally easier to 'assassinate' as they have a more rigid timetable, so you can pretty much predict where they're going to be during the day. So if you're a scientist, watch out. If you're trying to assassinate a scientist, get hold of their lecture timetable. Obviously the university is likely to get extremely p***ed off if you run into lectures with a water pistol trying to 'kill' someone, but discretely loitering outside buildings in bloodthirsty anticipation shouldn't be such a major problem.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    That's just genius. I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    That's just genius. I love it.
    One of my friends got "killed" by a letter bomb last night

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    As I'm new to this board I thought I might as well give my opinion. First of all I was educated at a private school but under a scheme whereby the council payed my fees. I feel that an argument based solely on meritocratic distribution of education seems in itself as flawed an ideal as education on the basis of income alone. This is because excellence is not necessarily an innate ability. Many aspects influence it: primary schooling, social background and most of all parental attitude and ability. It seems fishpaste wishes to see a system whereby the best education is handed to those with the most ability. This is perhaps flawed as the argument is circular due to the best education producing the people with the most ability.

However most people would agree that it would be wrong to enable those with little potential to deny places at good schools from those with high potential and so the concept of entirely private education is too invalid.

Here I feel I must make the distinction between potential and ability. In my opinion ability is the measure of academic quality at the present time for an individual while potential is the maximum academic quality which a person can obtain given the correct resources. Thus when it comes to university applications I have no qualms about positive discrimination in the nature of reduced grades or easier interviews for those from poorer schools if it is felt that potential is being assessed. However I say this with one cautionary note; not only should potential be assessed at for example an Oxbridge interview but whether or not the person admitted has the nature to reach their potential. Thus someone from a private school with less potential but a better work ethic should perhaps be admitted against someone who will never be able to fulfill their true potential.

Just to finish I must unwillingly agree with Tek that private schools are good things for the simple reason that they take people who would otherwise have been state educated if there were no private schools while the parents of such children pay in addition to fees, taxes to fund state education for children who are not their own. Thus if private education were abolished the state system would decline severley without a sharp tax rise. However I must say that Tek's lack of thought and analysis insults the education to which he has been privilege to and betrays those who have not had his good fortune but may have greater potential. Sorry, rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point Alex_R, awarding on a merit basis would probably be impossible and unfair. I still think a uniform distribution where all pupils have access to the same mean resources is fair.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point Alex_R, awarding on a merit basis would probably be impossible and unfair. I still think a uniform distribution where all pupils have access to the same mean resources is fair.
    I agree with fishpaste (starship titanic?). It is a question of the fair distribution of resources. Just because it isn't possible to award places exclusively on merit, doesn't mean that an academically speaking random element (i.e. wealth of parents) should be allowed to influence it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It's your kind of dispicable attitudes which are holding this country back! Why the **** do you think you have to right to attack me just because I come from a well - to - do family? I can't help that any more than you can help coming from whichever class you do.

You two really are a disgrace to this society, and are exactly the kind of people who hold unwarranted prejudices against those who have the temerity to earn more money than you, which is just as bad as any other form of prejudice. Oh and guess what, idiots? THIS IS CAPITALISM. SOME ARE RICH, SOME ARE POOR. Now learn to ****ing deal with it.
    You have one major problem.

Look over some of the insensitive comments youve written on discussions and you might understand why people want to feed you to the lions. Not attacking you becasue your from private school you ignorant, its becasue of the way you obviouslt think about yourself.

Are you going to cam? I bloody hope i dont run into you. If theres one thing i cant stand its snobbery. Private schools, rich people, i love em. snobs, i hate them.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a recipe for mediocrity, though.

ReputationRep:
    Im in two minds. Private schools obviously benefit people, and dont exactly deprive others. Its the inequality that seems unfare. Sure, if people ahve money then they want to send their kids to private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Im in two minds. Private schools obviously benefit people, and dont exactly deprive others.
    of course they deprive others of facilities and teachers that could be used in the state sector who would be benefitting more students than they do in the private sector due to class sizes.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    I think you're wrong music boy. It is true that there are a lot of better than average teachers working in private education but if there were no private education there would still be the same number of pupils to teachers altogether. It is also true that private school class sizes are smaller and this perhaps seems like private school pupils receive a disproportionate amount of teaching resources but in my opinion if all education were state then overall class sizes (As only around 10% of education is private) may only decrease by maybe around half a pupil per class. Given that a lot of classes in the state sector are vastly oversized this would not have much of an impact. The way to correct this must be to get more graduates into teaching and not to abolish private education. Also as I have said if private education were abolished everyone would lose out as you would have to educate 10% more pupils without any extra money unless taxes were increased, which I can't see too many people voting for.

Also to others who have suggested that it is unfair that wealthiest 10% of the population should have access to better education - I must say that it is. It is also a good thing you feel this way as these are the sentiments which push forward boundaries and strike a blow for equality. But you also have to remember that sometimes an unfair system has greater overall effect than a fair one - See my point about resource distribution above. The point to change a system is where you have a better one in place. I would love to abolish private education on principle but until the state system gets better itelf doing so will only lead to a worse system for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    OK, of course I recognise that private schools tend to have better facilities, but if this doesn't equate to academic results I still fail to see why anyone would want to send their children to one of those independents which does not do as well as a local state school. I'm not suggesting that your parents sent you to a private school for social kudos, just that it seems the most likely explanation in a lot of cases, and this is definitely not a good thing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    just like university, school isnt just about academia. my parents couldnt afford private fees but i took a scholarship there because of the amazing opportunities in sport, societies and clubs, as well as academia. surely all it comes down to is choosing the best school in the area for your child.

and because most kids dont choose what school they go to.. this shouldnt be taken into account at interviews.the school u went to is a reflection of ur parent/guardian choice and not u.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree that probably the damage caused by private schools is probably relatively small, but it's not a reason to ignore it. And you can NEVER undestimate the benefit of a quality teacher with talent and experience.

ReputationRep:
    I also think it's important to highlight that state schools really are never going to be able to compete with the private sector whilst the private sector is able to outbit them for the best resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    of course they deprive others of facilities and teachers that could be used in the state sector who would be benefitting more students than they do in the private sector due to class sizes.

Musicboy
    Still no-one against private schools has come up with an argument against the economic realities! Private schools give state schools a huge boost in resources by taking people out of the system with no decrease in funding. I can't see how they deprive state schools of facilities, if you can, please say so. On drain of teachers you may have a point, but this assumes teachers are good and then go to private schools rather than being able to teach effectively by virtue of access to what a private school has to offer (positive atmosphere, small class sizes etc.).

Fishpaste, music boy et al: Do you have any answer to the dire funding implications for state schools if we didn't have private schools?

ReputationRep:
    Still no-one against private schools has come up with an argument against the economic realities! Private schools give state schools a huge boost in resources by taking people out of the system with no decrease in funding. I can't see how they deprive state schools of facilities, if you can, please say so. On drain of teachers you may have a point, but this assumes teachers are good and then go to private schools rather than being able to teach effectively by virtue of access to what a private school has to offer (positive atmosphere, small class sizes etc.).

Fishpaste, music boy et al: Do you have any answer to the dire funding implications for state schools if we didn't have private schools?
    wel of course it comes back to the government. we must accept that 3000 pounds a year is not enough fora good education. The situation is not helped by the fact that those that can use the private route to opt out of the system. In the case of meritocratic scholarships which I still disagree with, private schools are in effect taking those children with high academic standards and a good work ethic out of a system which needs people like that.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    we must accept that 3000 pounds a year is not enough fora good education. The situation is not helped by the fact that those that can use the private route to opt out of the system.
    Musicboy
    The situation is helped by people using the private route to opt out of the system - it means more money for those that opt in. More money is helping, isn't it?

In the case of meritocratic scholarships which I still disagree with,

Musicboy
    How can you disagree with rewarding merit!?!?! It beggars belief to suggest that those with the ability to do well should have their talents stifled to prop up a failing system. This is the worst kind of lowest common denominator mediocracy.

ReputationRep:
    How can you disagree with rewarding merit!?!?! It beggars belief to suggest that those with the ability to do well should have their talents stifled to prop up a failing system. This is the worst kind of lowest common denominator mediocracy.
    There are plenty of people on these forums (myself included) who would do just fine teaching themselves from text books. There are plenty of people in my school (an inner-city comprehensive) who need real help with learning and getting to grips with real basics. I'm sure that money is better spent on helping them than excelling a minority (who tend to come from backgrounds where they will get plenty of academic nourishment at home).

Musicboy

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.