Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is western feminism fuelling working class/northern decline? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has western feminism gone too far? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-decades.html

Will white northern/working class males be able to compete in a post recession/post industrial western society? Is the workplace too oriented towards soft skills, customer service, IT etc...

A society full of individualised drunken career women is incredibly destabilising. They are a disgrace to their communities, and their families. We need to see a return to pre war values if our society is to survive the threat of Islam (EU women average only 1.5 children per family)

Nevermind though, modern Britain is great if you are a 3rd world/ethnic binge drinking career woman or a white homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have pointed to feminism as one of the reasons for the decline.

Since when is being a binge drinker going to score you points with your employer?

If you're female/non white/gay and do well, doesn't mean it's your fault someone else doesn't do well.

And isn't IT male dominated?

What's your beef with Islam?

You sound like a bitter under achiever tbh.

ReputationRep:
    A white homosexual..? How does that benefit you in the workplace in anyway? I assume you're not gay, but believe me being gay is still a massive taboo to some people, and I would say being gay is a hindrance more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    It does and it's not limited to the West.

They are trying the same crap in Singapore where the system is controlled by Chinese career self racist women dykes.

Double standards appear all over the stupid pin sized island.

They salute themsleves as "great acheivers" yet the men do 2 years army service while they sit on their fat ugly asses.

stop sexism in Singapore ! let the "super talented" local woman have a chance to defend their counrty like their Western counterparts.

NS for SG women ! now !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    controlled by Chinese career self racist women dykes.
    Maybe they're not dykes?

Maybe they just don't want to have sex with you? :nopity:

Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Maybe they're not dykes?

Maybe they just don't want to have sex with you? :nopity:

Just a thought...

yeah right you wish.

not all SG women are dykes and I got nothing vs the normal women but the ones controlling the place are.

this is for sure - spent 5 years working there know all their stupid little secrets.

Stop running ! :

stop sexism in Singapore ! let the "super talented" local woman have a chance to defend their counrty like their Western counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    y
    What does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES !

stop sexism in Singapore ! let the "super talented" local woman have a chance to defend their country like their men.

haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OP, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but actually electricity, education and the internet have reached the North...we don't ALL work down mines, drink bitter, beat our wives, wear flat caps, complain etc.

We're very much the same as the rest of the country, only we talk properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    It does and it's not limited to the West.

They are trying the same crap in Singapore where the system is controlled by Chinese career self racist women dykes.

Double standards appear all over the stupid pin sized island.

They salute themsleves as "great acheivers" yet the men do 2 years army service while they sit on their fat ugly asses.

NS for SG women ! now !
    Except Singapore is Brilliant and England is not so much.

ReputationRep:
    since when were all northerners working class? isnt Cheshire the richest county?

ReputationRep:
    interesting theory.. not sure where it takes us though.. I for one wouldn't want to see more Northern scallies in uni at the cost of fewer lasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    since when were all northerners working class? isnt Cheshire the richest county?
    One of them, George Osbourne's Cheshire constituency is the third wealthiest in the UK. I'm sure some idiots never venture North of Watford. The area I live in (near Leeds) has houses going for £1mn plus on a regular basis (post-reccesion). I know quite a few southerners (who have moved to the Leeds area - mainly to work in the financial service industry in Leeds) and they are dissapointed that the parts of Leeds they want to live in (harrogate, alwoodley etc) are more expensive than wherever they left down south.

As a white northern male, I and my white northern male family members do/will do very well in the post-industrial economy.

Underneath the prejudices you make a valid point, the modern economy does leave a large section of people - North & South behind with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Except Singapore is Brilliant and England is not so much.
    Good go there !

ReputationRep:
    There's a good reply to this in The Guardian by Barbara Ellen. I would post a link in, but it's not letting me. I don't know whether it's Safari, TSR or The Guardian. Strange.

It seems ridiculous to blame middle-class women for the lack of social mobility of working-class men. Where are the middle-class men in all of this? Is it taken for granted that they should succeed? It is simplistic to blame this on feminism when we should really be looking at the structural causes of inequality in our society. People shouldn't be held back because of their class or their gender, and there is no reason that one has to infringe on the others' opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    David Willetts is right, of course. It seems pretty damn obvious that when a huge number of new people enter the labour market, those already seeking jobs are going to have a harder time doing so.

Has feminism gone too far? Well, if by 'feminism' you mean equal rights and oppurtunities for everyone regardless of gender, then no, it hasn't gone far enough. If you mean a cult of bra-burning, man-hating marxist nutjobs, which is what many modern 'feminists' seem to be in reality, then yes, it went too far by even existing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    Not sure Cheshire is exactly Northern! It depends where you draw the line, but I'd say anything markedly below the Humber is actually the Midlands.

I'm not sure how someone called 'native Londoner' can really talk about what it's like to live in the North anyway :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Feminists see things in men/women terms, when the cause of greivences to both men and women is a class/economic issue. Unsurprising since that most feminists are middle class women with little better to do.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you increase the pool of potential candidates for elite jobs by double and don't increase the number of elite jobs by double, it seems pretty obvious that fewer people from the working classes are going to be able to climb the slippery pole. But I would argue the single, and perhaps only reason, that social mobility has stalled is the closing down of the grammar school system. And that the only reason it hasn't gone into terminal decline is that there are still some exceptional people languishing in the lower classes, coupled with the fact that religious schools are still providing exemplary education to the poorest of the poor like they have for the last 150 years.

Although I do agree that feminism has taken the place of egalitarianism, and it is nice to see that a minister can finally say these sorts of criticisms without having his balls chopped off by the likes of Harman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Not sure Cheshire is exactly Northern! It depends where you draw the line, but I'd say anything markedly below the Humber is actually the Midlands.

I'm not sure how someone called 'native Londoner' can really talk about what it's like to live in the North anyway :teehee:
    Cheshire is in the North West region, which I think makes it Northern! I find it odd that people seem to think that what is north and south is subjective when we have official regions which make it quite obvious.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.