Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Calling successful applicants who dropped Biology at A2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that there are only a few places that state that they want Biology to full A2, although most require it at AS. Do you think that unis will wonder why I have dropped it for A2 (if I do)? I am currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and in my first AS module, my lowest mark was for Biology, where I only just scraped an A. I am more likely to get an A* in Maths and Physics and A at Chemistry should be fine but I'm worried that I might jeopardise my chance of acheiving AAA/A*AA with Biology because I just don't seem to be able to answer questions in the right way for AQA Biology. I know the stuff but seem to lose silly marks because they are so specific about the wording needed. Will it look odd if I drop it, or should I just work my ass off to make sure that I get an A?
    Is there anyone else out there that's dropped Biology and managed to get a place for medicine? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is ok, if they say they don't require it at A2 then they won't question it. I've dropped Biology because virtually anyone in the year gets an A though I did get a high A at Jan but the power of my ISA score pulled it down to a high B.

ReputationRep:
    I dream of the day I get an A chief, so don't be worrying about "scraping the grade". You are achieving some very, very good grades so go for the ones you are most comfortable in studying.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far. I know I am achieving good grades LandyJon but the thing is that I have to for medicine and I can't afford to drop below an A for Biology. This is what worries me. Obviously lots will depend on how I do in May/June exams. I'd just like to hear from others who have dropped Biology for reassurance (if there are any).

ReputationRep:
    Faith, that's reassuring to hear. Do you mind me asking, have you got any offers? and where have you applied?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Have a look at the medical school A-Level requirements here. In summary, it will restrict where you can apply slightly, so be sure to check before choosing a medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by protozoa)
    I know that there are only a few places that state that they want Biology to full A2, although most require it at AS. Do you think that unis will wonder why I have dropped it for A2 (if I do)? I am currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and in my first AS module, my lowest mark was for Biology, where I only just scraped an A. I am more likely to get an A* in Maths and Physics and A at Chemistry should be fine but I'm worried that I might jeopardise my chance of acheiving AAA/A*AA with Biology because I just don't seem to be able to answer questions in the right way for AQA Biology. I know the stuff but seem to lose silly marks because they are so specific about the wording needed. Will it look odd if I drop it, or should I just work my ass off to make sure that I get an A?
    Is there anyone else out there that's dropped Biology and managed to get a place for medicine? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Your LOWEST was only just an A.

My lowest was 1st mark of E for biology, then 1st mark of D for physics, then 1st mark of C for maths, and I'm happy with the maths. resitting the other 2

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Beska. I have already looked at that and at the uni websites/prospectus. I am fairly certain that the ones that insist on A2 Biology are not ones that I am likely to apply to anyway. However, lots say 'and/or' Biology or 'at least to AS level'. What I'm trying to ascertain is whether I will really be disadvantaging myself by dropping it. Also, I'm wondering if medical schools are likely to look les favourably at someone who has dropped Bio at A2 despite what they state as their minimum requirement. There's a difference between a 'minimum' requirement than an 'ideal' candidate. All other things considered equal (UKCAT, personal statement, experience, etc) would they be more likely to offer an interview to someone who continued with Biology than someone who dropped it?

If I get less than an A (at A2) then I obviously will have a problem so dropping Biology may be the best course of action for me. I would love to hear from people who have been successful in gaining a place for Medicine after dropping Biology after AS.

ReputationRep:
    The other thing is, physics is my best subject (at least the one I get the highest marks in) so I'm reluctant to drop it. I have to continue with chemistry so that means must choose between maths and biology. I'm good at maths and it will help with physics. Alternatively, I could continue with all 4 but that will be a lot of work and I could better spend my time getting more work experience. Argh!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.