Turn on thread page Beta

Most "efficient" way to revise for c1,c2 and s1? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,

like most people doing AS maths, I'll be doing core 2 and stats 1 in May along with my core 1 retake(all edexcel) but I was wondering if anybody could possibly give me some advice?

How should I structure my revision plan for maths? for c1, I just looked through the text book and did the past papers in the final week(didn't leave enough time) So for the retake i'm just doing past papers for c1 with examsolutions.

For core 2 and stats i'm baffled. I guess I know most of c2 but hardly any of stats(had 5 different teachers already so far) would it be best if I just did all the examples and taught myself the syllabus or should I do all the past papers first? Although, I think If i went through the whole textbook, that would be wasting time i don't really have, so if anybody could point me in the right direction i'd be extremely thankful.

Again, thank you for your help in advanced

ReputationRep:
    For all my maths modules, I went through the textbook, and wrote notes on various methods, formulae and specific examples. I made basically a little textbook of my own. Then I did past papers, and did extra questions from the textbook and other sources for the questions I got wrong in the past papers.

You do have time to go through the whole textbook, and I'd start now if you feel you need to do that. You want to do all the past papers you have, but you need to time it carefully, because its not good starting past papers now, since you will most likely run out before you get to the exam. Count how many past papers there are, and work out how many you can do per week so that you do a consistent amount to do right up to the exam. I didn't do this last year, and ended up running out of past papers a few weeks before the exam and I felt a bit stuck for what to do haha.

ReputationRep:
    Look at book --> Look at exercises --> do them --> check if you're doing it right --> repeat if right, or check what you're doing wrong and repeat.

Repeat for all exercises, then repeat for exam papers. Do Solomon/Elmwood papers, then repeat.

Do all papers twice and you're pretty much set for 100.

ReputationRep:
    This may seem repetitive, but past papers is the god of maths revision.

I finished the S1 book, forgot everything. Then I did a past paper while using the textbook, and somehow it has just stuck. Now I can do papers without having to look at the book.

The questions are predictable

ReputationRep:
    Just do past year papers. When you finish, repeat repeat repeat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    For all my maths modules, I went through the textbook, and wrote notes on various methods, formulae and specific examples. I made basically a little textbook of my own. Then I did past papers, and did extra questions from the textbook and other sources for the questions I got wrong in the past papers.

You do have time to go through the whole textbook, and I'd start now if you feel you need to do that. You want to do all the past papers you have, but you need to time it carefully, because its not good starting past papers now, since you will most likely run out before you get to the exam. Count how many past papers there are, and work out how many you can do per week so that you do a consistent amount to do right up to the exam. I didn't do this last year, and ended up running out of past papers a few weeks before the exam and I felt a bit stuck for what to do haha.
    Thanks for the advice, yeah i'm already starting. I know what you mean, when you have a week left and you end up having a really unstructured revision plan!

(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Look at book --> Look at exercises --> do them --> check if you're doing it right --> repeat if right, or check what you're doing wrong and repeat.

Repeat for all exercises, then repeat for exam papers. Do Solomon/Elmwood papers, then repeat.

Do all papers twice and you're pretty much set for 100.
    (Original post by ilyking)
    This may seem repetitive, but past papers is the god of maths revision.
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    Just do past year papers. When you finish, repeat repeat repeat
    Thank you everybody, I think the general consensus is that past papers is the way to approach my studies but in moderation, of course. Again, thank you for all the help

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.