Turn on thread page Beta

RAF, Navy, BA etc. (too late to join?) ADVICE NEEDED watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thanks for checking my thread out, in a nutshell (as of July 2011) I am 25 years old, male and excellent fitness. Additionally, I am a graduate in engineering (this year). I would like some advice from people on whether I can still join the British Forces (any), which is the most appropriate (does not have to be specifically engineering) and other things like what are the requirrments to join and your opinions or reccomendations through personal experience if you have any. p.s yes i have checked websites but i prefer seeing what peopl on here say :cool:

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    Re joining the armed forces....go and see your AFCO...he will be able to help you a lot more than we will be....

ReputationRep:
    So you can get the maximum age for joining the forces on their websites. All jobs have different age limits but you'd rather ask on here?
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you what to do and which branch of the armed forces.
    Best popping into your AFCO tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    Re joining the armed forces....go and see your AFCO...he will be able to help you a lot more than we will be....
    AFCO? also the reason of my thread is to speak with people who are currently in the army or have past experience i.e get the real deal in addition to the published material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    So you can get the maximum age for joining the forces on their websites. All jobs have different age limits but you'd rather ask on here?
    Why?
    see above :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The AFCOs are full of people who are serving currently with lots of experience. I'm sure they are your best bet for finding out good information that you will need to make your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    AFCO? also the reason of my thread is to speak with people who are currently in the army or have past experience i.e get the real deal in addition to the published material.
    Armed Forces Careers Office

ReputationRep:
    armed forces career advisor....

they will tell you what you need to know and all the info etc. and can book you on visit days in which you go out to the particular branch you are interested in etc.

ReputationRep:
    Totally.Go see the AFCO but..

Navy: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/

RAF: http://www.raf.mod.uk/

BA: http://www.army.mod.uk/

I'd tell you to join the Navy,only because I'm biased.Go see what you really want to do and thanks for serving the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody_bum)
    Armed Forces Careers Office
    Ah, I see. Didn't know about the AFCE until now tbh so looks like i'l pay them a visit
    in the meantime, i would still like to hear thoughts and feedback from other people to help me decide. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnivores)
    Totally.Go see the AFCO but..

Navy: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/

RAF: http://www.raf.mod.uk/

BA: http://www.army.mod.uk/

I'd tell you to join the Navy,only because I'm biased.Go see what you really want to do and thanks for serving the country!
    Ah! what can you tell me about the NAVY, are you serving currently? how would you descirbe your experiences etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    armed forces career advisor....

they will tell you what you need to know and all the info etc. and can book you on visit days in which you go out to the particular branch you are interested in etc.

ReputationRep:
    I served in the army before! p.s not in the British one.

My advice , ask yourself if you have the passion? its not about being fit , its the mental strength. As long as you have basic fitness , the training will be more then enough

Secondly bureaucracy is crap. Because no matter how right you are , someone that out ranks you. Will usually be the one making the say.
    Never serve as a enlistee level! Serve with commission , you can serve in tour of duty in a war zone be a warrent officer . end of a day a recently commissioned 2nd LT will still own your ass

P.S from my experience in talking to people in different branch of service in diff country

AIR FORCE, NAVY > ARMY in terms of culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boucy)

My advice , ask yourself if you have the passion? its not about being fit , its the mental strength. As long as you have basic fitness , the training will be more then enough

Secondly bureaucracy is crap. Because no matter how right you are , someone that out ranks you. Will usually be the one making the say.
    Never serve as a enlistee level! Serve with commission , you can serve in tour of duty in a war zone be a warrent officer . end of a day a recently commissioned 2nd LT will still own your ass

P.S from my experience in talking to people in different branch of service in diff country

not unless you're general :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boucy)

I would love to see anybody take on the Station Warrant officer at my place. Good luck to any recently commissioned baby officer, I would say the WO would act more as teacher to him, whereby you could learn from his experience.

and OP the RAF has the better culture IMO, but I am biased after all. xD

ReputationRep:
    http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk

Start there for the Army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey121)
    I would love to see anybody take on the Station Warrant officer at my place. Good luck to any recently commissioned baby officer, I would say the WO would act more as teacher to him, whereby you could learn from his experience.

and OP the RAF has the better culture IMO, but I am biased after all. xD
    there is no doubt warrants have the experience , seniority and connections. but when it boil down not much he can do

Like most RSM have the support of the CO.

afterall most officers are not asses but there is always black sheep.
    NO matter what armed forces are a decent career

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thanks for checking my thread out, in a nutshell (as of July 2011) I am 25 years old, male and excellent fitness. Additionally, I am a graduate in engineering (this year). I would like some advice from people on whether I can still join the British Forces (any), which is the most appropriate (does not have to be specifically engineering) and other things like what are the requirrments to join and your opinions or reccomendations through personal experience if you have any. p.s yes i have checked websites but i prefer seeing what peopl on here say :cool:
    Yes, you can still join.

Appropriate to what? It's up to you. You think you'd like to be kept awake by a million and one announcements every day, whilst floating around the sea on a big grey thing? Join the Navy. Or, do you think you'd like to wake up/ kept awake to the sound of big grey things taking off/ engineers testing their engines? Join the RAF. Or do you think you'd like to be woken to the sound of a big GREEN lump of metal thumbing along the road/ random (and seemingly sporadic) gunfire/ some old guys voice screaming at someone for having their hands in their pockets? Decisions yours.

I jest. However, no-one can tell YOU what YOU'D like to do. Or indeed, whether the forces would be your cup of tea; you're likely to find some very opinionated individuals on here, who will tell you (with no experience other than an application form) that it's the best thing you can do! But at the end of the day, it's your call - the forces is amazing, if you're the right person for it; but it can be the most horrible experience you'll ever have, if you're not. In case there's somewhat of a negative tone in there, I love it btw!

..And the requirements are different for different things. You'll need to take a bit of initiative on that one!

I have my opinions, like everyone else - and I stress that: they are opinions. Feel free to ask anything back at me. And I'm Navy!

:cool:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.