Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do an MSci degree starting this September and have got and replied to all my offers. I've accepted Bristol as my Firm choice and Manchester as my Insurance. I've been really excited about going to Bristol as it's so far away from home and the uni is amazing and I love it. Then the other day my careers advisor told me about an opportunity to do an apprenticeship at 'International Paints' in Gateshead and do part-time study of Chemistry at Northumbria University. There's so many pros and cons to both of these opportunities and I don't know what to do. Gateshead is too close to home and would mean living at home which I don't really want to do but it's a starting salary of 15.5K and you get your tuition fees paid for and a career at the end. Whereas at Bristol it would mean I'd get to move away from home and properly experience the student life and in my course I get to study Spanish and study for a year in Spain. But then I'd have all these student loans and no guarantee of a job at the end. Could anybody give me some advice?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Apprenticeship.

1. Work experience. Worth more than a degree.
    2. No debt
    3. A 100% job at the end.

Honestly, that's worth more than any 'student experience' in my opinion. I had fun at uni (I'm now a Masters student) but everyone I graduated with is having trouble finding a job because they have no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're a long term thinker do a degree, but it'll probably be a harder longer road, with more rewards at the end.
    But if you want security I'd agree with the above post

ReputationRep:
    Degree simply because the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in a long term sense, and you're doing a degree in a respected field.

ReputationRep:
    Degree definitely. It will open so many more doors to you in the long run. Plus life is all about experiences, and you said yourself that you're loving the prospect of studying at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    well
    pros:
    job security

cons:
    if you want to change field. its hard

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the apprenticeship after having experienced what the job market is like and the fact that when it comes down to it employers really just care about your work experience. Although the year in Spain would make the decision very difficult. Is it an industrial year?

ReputationRep:
    I think what you will find is that applicants/freshers who themselves want/are going to go to university with choose university because it accords with their own ambitions.

Finalists/recent graduates who know what the labour market is like will say apprenticeship+part-time degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    I'd say the apprenticeship after having experienced what the job market is like and the fact that when it comes down to it employers really just care about your work experience. Although the year in Spain would make the decision very difficult. Is it an industrial year?
    Well I could either to a work placement abroad or study in the foreign university. Either/Or would give me better job prospects yeah? And I'd love to be able to speak a foreign language. I love the degree course and the uni but there's so much opportunity with the other choice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Unless you're going to be doing a vocational degree that will lead into a profession in which the degree route is the normal/preferred/only route into, then do an apprenticeship.

The pros are that you will be earning a wage whilst you are learning. You will be getting relevant work experience and meeting professionals in your field. This is worth far more than a degree if the degree is not required.

nulli tertius is spot on with his post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Apprenticeship.

1. Work experience. Worth more than a degree.
    2. No debt
    3. A 100% job at the end.

Honestly, that's worth more than any 'student experience' in my opinion. I had fun at uni (I'm now a Masters student) but everyone I graduated with is having trouble finding a job because they have no work experience.
    I'm currently doing an apprenticeship (working in a lab). I'm also doing an NC in Applied Science... after this I'll probably do a HNC in Applied Chemistry. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows how this work experience + a HNC compares to a degree in chemistry to employers?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.