Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm just embarking on the final revision of History now, and am a bit confused.

I know I'm expected to know facts, to back up my arguments, but to what extent? For example, in an essay about the fall of the Romanov Dynasty, can I make a remark like:

"The Revolution of 1905 was brought to an end by the promises in the October Manifesto combined with an authoritative launch of a brutal crackdown with mass arrests and summary executions"

Or is this not sufficient? Do I have to memorise statistics to do with the mass arrests? This is just an example, and I have the same query on all topics. How much statistical proof etc. do I have to use?

Would be grateful for any advice...

From my experiences the IB are looking more for your argument and analysis than your facts in P3. Of course you'll need to know some things, but you can get away with not knowing too much, I got 51/60 for P3 (so averaging 17/20 per essay) without too many facts and with one tiny bit of historiography in one of the essays. One of my questions involved looking at the reasons for appeasement, and I knew no specific facts but I just wrote more generally about things like public sentiment. As long as you are able to argue, you'll do fine. I find that when I knew heaps of facts (as I did in P2, where I got 27/40), my essays were actually worse as they got too narrative-y.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.