Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojstratton)
    Yes, I think so
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The closest I have got to the answer is: RPKPKQFFGLM but it still isn't right
    What is ASGA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryQuiz)
    What is ASGA?
    I believe it's a sequence of amino acids by their 1-letter code.

ReputationRep:
    Finally done it.one of the hardest challenges there has been, no easy questions.
    for rg, it's to do with amino acids.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's a sequence of amino acids by their 1-letter code.
    A protein code? :-/
    I have a feeling Rg is gonna take long.

ReputationRep:
    I finally did it YAYEYAYEYAY

ReputationRep:
    I finally did it YAYEYAYEYAY
    Some help, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryQuiz)
    Some help, please?
    Get an excel spreadsheet ready. This is a major spoiler so don't look unless necessary!
    For Rg:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ASGA is a polypeptide, looking at the ASGA example, the molecule is divided up into it's molecular mass: 'a1=44.1' is the molecular mass for NH2CH3CH, 'b1=72.0' is the molecular mass for a1+CO, 'a2=131.1' is the molecular mass for b1+NHCHCH2OH, etc.
    The same logic is applied to the mass spec. results, below the example: b1 is the mass of the first amino acid, b2 is the cumulative mass of the first 2 amino acids. You'll have to then work out the missing values (b7, a9, b10, etc.) using a spread sheet and google the masses you calculate to find the corresponding amino acids (
    http://education.expasy.org/student_projects/isotopident/htdocs/aa-list.html) and then google the amino acid sequence to find the name of the polypeptide the make up.

ReputationRep:
    Still stuck on gold

ReputationRep:
    I finally completed the challenge

If anyone needs help with any of the questions, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    Get an excel spreadsheet ready. This is a major spoiler so don't look unless necessary!
    For Rg:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ASGA is a polypeptide, looking at the ASGA example, the molecule is divided up into it's molecular mass: 'a1=44.1' is the molecular mass for NH2CH3CH, 'b1=72.0' is the molecular mass for a1+CO, 'a2=131.1' is the molecular mass for b1+NHCHCH2OH, etc.
    The same logic is applied to the mass spec. results, below the example: b1 is the mass of the first amino acid, b2 is the cumulative mass of the first 2 amino acids. You'll have to then work out the missing values (b7, a9, b10, etc.) using a spread sheet and google the masses you calculate to find the corresponding amino acids (
    http://education.expasy.org/student_projects/isotopident/htdocs/aa-list.html) and then google the amino acid sequence to find the name of the polypeptide the make up.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    help with gold please i get the idea of what substance lowers the freezing temperature but i try salts and alcahol ect but get no where help please
    wow got it now

ReputationRep:
    well copper's really doing my right nut n.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)
    well copper's really doing my right nut n.
    Think along the lines of ROY G BIV

ReputationRep:
    Rg looks lke fun :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RHCPfan)
    Think along the lines of ROY G BIV
    thanks, i got there eventually aha, Rg is painful though. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i got there eventually aha, Rg is painful though. :unimpressed:
    No problem. It sure is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RHCPfan)
    No problem. It sure is.
    exceeded the usual cambridge chemistry challenge coffee limit and somehow i'm not magically becoming a genius

ReputationRep:
    exceeded the usual cambridge chemistry challenge coffee limit and somehow i'm not magically becoming a genius
    I think I might come back to this one! :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    For Rg:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Hi, I am really stuck on Rg! I have got the following combinations, which I have put into the answer box and into Google, and none of them are correct. Please could you help me, even if it's just pointing out which ones are nearly correct, I will be very grateful!

Spoiler:
    Show
    RPQPQQFFGFP RPQPQQFFGPF RPKPQQFFGFP RPKPQQFFGPF RPQPKQFFGFP RPQPKQFFGPF RPKPKQFFGFP RPKPKQFFGPF RPQPQKFFGFP RPQPQKFFGPF RPKPQKFFGFP RPKPQKFFGPF RPQPKKFFGFP RPQPKKFFGPF RPKPKKFFGFP RPKPKKFFGPF

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Rg now, but if anyone needs help up until then, I am happy to help! (especially seeing as I always get help!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.