Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused, what you've written is very helpful but I still keep getting it wrong =( Can I ask about the line

So, there must be less than 4 x y mg of SO2 in the room.

Just wondering if the "x" is a multiplication sign or the length?! Ha, thanks anyway…tried both ways but still can't get it

ReputationRep:
    On gold I followed droplet739's advice and got a final answer of 17703, but that didn't work. Anyone else get this? Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccc1234)
    On gold I followed droplet739's advice and got a final answer of 17703, but that didn't work. Anyone else get this? Can anyone help?
    Here's a hint
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's a huge number and you're close, off by a couple of hundreds and thousands:P

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your values are correct? (Don't post them- unless if you really must, in which case please spoiler tag them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzers)
    Are you sure your values are correct? (Don't post them- unless if you really must, in which case please spoiler tag them)
    I think so, I'll post them as a spoiler so hopefully someone can check:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Mass of SO2 as 998.9677, maximum mass per cubic metre of SO2 as 14.1mg/m3. This gives a final answer as 17712 (or 17713), my mistake but these still don't work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ej12992)
    I'm so confused, what you've written is very helpful but I still keep getting it wrong =( Can I ask about the line

So, there must be less than 4 x y mg of SO2 in the room.

Just wondering if the "x" is a multiplication sign or the length?! Ha, thanks anyway…tried both ways but still can't get it
    x is the unknown, if you're confused, substitute it for y

ReputationRep:
    I think so, I'll post them as a spoiler so hopefully someone can check:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Mass of SO2 as 998.9677, maximum mass per cubic metre of SO2 as 14.1mg/m3. This gives a final answer as 17712 (or 17713), my mistake but these still don't work
    Here's some tips:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Your value for SO2 is wrong, use 13mg/m^3 (the actual value is 12.9 but 13 is fine)
    And just to make it easier, use 1kg of SO2

Further info :/ use at your own risk for anyone who's still really stuck
    Spoiler:
    Show
    From what droplet had helpfully pointed out, basically:

-let's say the unknown length is L

-and since you know the ppm value in mg/m^3 (metres cubed)

-and the other lengths, 2 times 2 makes 4m^2

-therefore the volume of the room would equal 4 times L which gives the volume=4L m^3

-the concentration of SO2 must be in the safety requirement of less than 5ppm, less than 13mg/m^3

Spoiler:
    Show
    -13mg/m^3 means that there is 13mg of SO2 PER cubic metre of the room, for every ONE cubic metre

Spoiler:
    Show
    -and there's 4L cubic metres, so the total volume of SO2 which can be in the room whilst allowing the concentration to be less than 5ppm is 4L times 13 concentration

Spoiler:
    Show
    -this gives 52Lmg of SO2 which can be in the room whilst being less than 5ppm concentration

-find L

Spoiler:
    Show
    -still stuck?
    okay, since there needs to less than 52Lmg of SO2, but 1000g SO2 is being produced and L still means the unknown length so....

Equate the two values to find L

Spoiler:
    Show
    COME ON STILL STUCK????
    whats 1000g in mg?
    then Use algebra and equate it so you get
    L=.....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just message me if you're still don't get it -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadys10)
    Here's some tips:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Your value for SO2 is wrong, use 13mg/m^3 (the actual value is 12.9 but 13 is fine)
    And just to make it easier, use 1kg of SO2

Further info :/ use at your own risk for anyone who's still really stuck
    Spoiler:
    Show
    From what droplet had helpfully pointed out, basically:

-let's say the unknown length is L

-and since you know the ppm value in mg/m^3 (metres cubed)

-and the other lengths, 2 times 2 makes 4m^2

-therefore the volume of the room would equal 4 times L which gives the volume=4L m^3

-the concentration of SO2 must be in the safety requirement of less than 5ppm, less than 13mg/m^3

Spoiler:
    Show
    -13mg/m^3 means that there is 13mg of SO2 PER cubic metre of the room, for every ONE cubic metre

Spoiler:
    Show
    -and there's 4L cubic metres, so the total volume of SO2 which can be in the room whilst allowing the concentration to be less than 5ppm is 4L times 13 concentration

Spoiler:
    Show
    -this gives 52Lmg of SO2 which can be in the room whilst being less than 5ppm concentration

-find L

Spoiler:
    Show
    -still stuck?
    okay, since there needs to less than 52Lmg of SO2, but 1000g SO2 is being produced and L still means the unknown length so....

Equate the two values to find L

Spoiler:
    Show
    COME ON STILL STUCK????
    whats 1000g in mg?
    then Use algebra and equate it so you get
    L=.....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just message me if you're still don't get it -_-

Thank you for this

ReputationRep:
    i really need help with rg been on it for days
    ive made a table but no ive got no where

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robb2304)
    i really need help with rg been on it for days
    ive made a table but no ive got no where
    Tip: DOUBLE CHECK YOUR FACTS!!!
    The value for the ionisation number and boiling/melting points gives different elements, and also for the discoveries as well, research every single scientist

ReputationRep:
    Would someone be able to check what I got for Rg so far, and point out my mistakes please? I've tried every combination of the non metals but it's always incorrect. I would really appreciate it!

Spoiler:
    Show
    House 1: Boyle, Gold
    House 2: Aluminium, Helium and Faraday
    House 3: Davy, Carbon and Lead
    House 4: Dalton and Uranium
    House 5: Priestley, Sodium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsrocks)
    Would someone be able to check what I got for Rg so far, and point out my mistakes please? I've tried every combination of the non metals but it's always incorrect. I would really appreciate it!

Spoiler:
    Show
    There's something fundamentally wrong with quite a few of your positionings, it looks like you've misread a clue or made an assumption that isn't true and then gone along with that which has caused a few mistakes. To give you a hand I can tell you that

Spoiler:
    Show
    aluminium is not in house 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsrocks)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Faraday is in the wrong house
    The elements in house one is wrong
    There should only be two nonmetals in the end which you don't know which house it is in to test for as part of the answer
    There's more mistakes but that'll mean you'll swap them around and get the answer but not actually work it out
    Read through the clues carefully, write them out again with the facts you've researched so they're in simple terms
    It'll be clearer to see
    Draw a table and fill in the ones you are 100% sure of
    Check the clue with ionisation energy and the ones below that, it holds key info hint hint gives not only the elements and chemist but also the place, read carefully!!!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymousy)
    There's something fundamentally wrong with quite a few of your positionings, it looks like you've misread a clue or made an assumption that isn't true and then gone along with that which has caused a few mistakes. To give you a hand I can tell you that

Spoiler:
    Show
    aluminium is not in house 2.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadys10)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Faraday is in the wrong house
    The elements in house one is wrong
    There should only be two nonmetals in the end which you don't know which house it is in to test for as part of the answer
    There's more mistakes but that'll mean you'll swap them around and get the sneer but not actually work it out
    Read through the clues carefully, write them out again with the facts you've researched so they're in simple terms
    It'll be clearer to see
    Draw a table and fill in the ones you are 100% sure of
    Check the clue with ionisation energy and the ones below that, it holds key info hint hint gives not only the elements and chemist but also the place, read carefully!!!
    Good luck!
    Thank you very much! It won't let me rep you, but I've completed it now

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs any help, I'll be happy to help you

ReputationRep:
    stuck on silver, any help would be truly appreciated! what is it asking???? D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dory_97)
    Read the previous few pages!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dory_97)
    Silver asks you to work out the date of the article which relates to the 4th picture. The other dates and pictures are linked, so google those to find the link between them. Then try and find the date for the 4th picture- what is the picture showing you? A google image search might also help here. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So I have signed up for the Chemistry Challenge and finding it kinda impossible!! Does anyone have any tips for doing well (would love any award)? I am going to go through the past papers (2011, 2012 and 2013) but is there anything else I can do to prepare?!
    Cheers
    Oops, forgot to add, its the 90min exam for Lower Sixth!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.