Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    help with entry?

You have to be high if you don't get that one.

wink, wink

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmn2015)
    Focus on the molecule shown in ball-and-stick form in the image - It is porphyrin, a key precursor to the production of chlorophylls in plants and bacteria... the same scientist who researched plant pigments has a piece of equipment named after him.
    I was naming correctly the nail, not the scientist
    but Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    any hint for Au plz??

ReputationRep:
    Help with Rg I don't understand how to decode the message, I don't even know how to search for a way

ReputationRep:
    Any help with Gold please?

ReputationRep:
    Any help with gold would be greatly appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    Need help on rg?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Read about the arceibo message and about nucleotides. Then list the nucleotides in the question without changing the arrangement. Do further researchs about decoding the nucleotides and you should end up with the solution.

ReputationRep:
    All done! Pm for hints

ReputationRep:
    How do i do well for this challenge.
    My chem teacher picked students he felt could do it based on their marks throughout the year.im just trying one paper now and couldn't even answer one question!

Does everyone else go through this or am i just kidding myself? Give up or keep going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwen President)
    How do i do well for this challenge.
    My chem teacher picked students he felt could do it based on their marks throughout the year.im just trying one paper now and couldn't even answer one question!

Does everyone else go through this or am i just kidding myself? Give up or keep going?
    This challenge will be very different to any chemistry you have done before. It is Chemistry mixed with a scavenger hunt with a bit of guessing thrown in. Get help working through a month and you will see how to work out the answer to questions. And learn to reverse google image search! Overall it is very time consuming but I think people here would agree it is hugely rewarding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpinyGecko)
    This challenge will be very different to any chemistry you have done before. It is Chemistry mixed with a scavenger hunt with a bit of guessing thrown in. Get help working through a month and you will see how to work out the answer to questions. And learn to reverse google image search! Overall it is very time consuming but I think people here would agree it is hugely rewarding
    I cant speak for someone else but i think they mean the actual timed paper. As my chemistry teacher also picked me to do that paper and you have to figure out the questions on it without the internet or help.

ReputationRep:
    I have this year's paper.

I'm not especially good at working out how hard students will find things. But to me, it looks a little easier than last year.

No points asking me for any further information.

ReputationRep:
    I only found out that we had been entered into this years chemistry challenge yesterday... Any tips on what I should do as I've never done one of these before and it looks really hard. I'm doing the test this friday :/

ReputationRep:
    Feedback from previous students suggests that time is not a problem, the difficulty level is. Have a look at the past papers, they're all on line.
    Don't panic. Do the bits you can (there always are bits you can/should be able to do), guess the bits you can't, then leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Feedback from previous students suggests that time is not a problem, the difficulty level is. Have a look at the past papers, they're all on line.
    Don't panic. Do the bits you can (there always are bits you can/should be able to do), guess the bits you can't, then leave.
    Oh fun times, I wish that we got told a little bit more in advance that would of been nice. Thank you for the advice, I'll try and see what I can do with the little time I have although I don't expect I'll do very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenafenete)
    I only found out that we had been entered into this years chemistry challenge yesterday... Any tips on what I should do as I've never done one of these before and it looks really hard. I'm doing the test this friday :/
    Ive also been entered into the challenge, i dont think theres too much you can do, it seems like its mostly organic chemistry in past years so maybe revise some of that. Also, my teacher has said that they expect you to know the IR absorbtions of common bonds e.g. C=O, O-H ect.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me a hint for the current gold level question??? I believe I've worked out what the symbols mean, but then again I could be completely wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndavis120)
    Can anyone give me a hint for the current gold level question??? I believe I've worked out what the symbols mean, but then again I could be completely wrong...
    In my opinion this was a very hard question and the only way i got the answer was to look at the scale of the numbers already given and guess. I still dont fully understand the question even with the explaination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndavis120)
    (Original post by Emmaemmalene)
    Any help with Gold please?
    (Original post by miyah01)
    Any help with gold would be greatly appreciated?
    the symbols across the top....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    are a way of representing various elements
    Bigger clue - only use if you're really stuck
    Spoiler:
    Show
    google 'alchemy symbols'
    the pictures down the left hand side...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    are clues to variuos mixtures of metals

ReputationRep:
    help with Rg????

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.