Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just now properly got the Entry Level Question Pun!

Today is April Fool's and the answer is Iron Pyrite or Fool's Gold!!!

ReputationRep:
    clues for 2nd question question??? the copper level question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenLantern1)
    Just now properly got the Entry Level Question Pun!

Today is April Fool's and the answer is Iron Pyrite or Fool's Gold!!!
    clues for 2nd question question??? the copper level question:confused:

(Original post by Me123456789)
    clues for 2nd question question??? the copper level question:confused:
    What have you discerned from the picture so far? Where has your thinking taken you? For me it was pretty simple after that, but A2 physics made it so. If you've not got that, it isn't too challenging once you have an idea what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    What have you discerned from the picture so far? Where has your thinking taken you? For me it was pretty simple after that, but A2 physics made it so. If you've not got that, it isn't too challenging once you have an idea what you're looking for.
    i've never seen the picture before im still doing GCSEs..... would you be able to give me a 'detailed' hint or pm me it because i really want to get it...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    i've never seen the picture before im still doing GCSEs..... would you be able to give me a 'detailed' hint or pm me it because i really want to get it...:mad:
    It's to do with wavelengths of light, and how if an electron falls down energy levels, a photon of that energy is emitted etc
    Even with that it's Not easy, but should be doable x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli_G)
    hint for gold?
    It's linked to the entry level question....

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been on the copper question for a while now. I read your post earlier saying 'think excitation' which has led me onto the hydrogen spectral series. The numbers provided in the picture are identical to the numbers shown in a table about the Balmer series but from what I've deduce 8 -> 4 means an electron moving from the 8th energy level to the 4th one, and I'm given the impression an electron moving back down to the fourth energy level is related to the Brackett series.

Can you give me some guidance please?

I'm doing my GCSEs too, think p1b?

(Original post by Cubic)
    Hey, I've been on the copper question for a while now. I read your post earlier saying 'think excitation' which has led me onto the hydrogen spectral series. The numbers provided in the picture are identical to the numbers shown in a table about the Balmer series but from what I've deduce 8 -> 4 means an electron moving from the 8th energy level to the 4th one, and I'm given the impression an electron moving back down to the fourth energy level is related to the Brackett series.

Can you give me some guidance please?

The top part is just to give you a key really, show you what you're looking for. You're right in saying that it is the lines of the Balmer series (ie, covers the visible spectrum), and you are again right in thinking the bottom part is related to the Brackett series. You've done all the work now, the last step is the easiest!

ReputationRep:

that's what someone else said but i did edexcel

ReputationRep:
    The top part is just to give you a key really, show you what you're looking for. You're right in saying that it is the lines of the Balmer series (ie, covers the visible spectrum), and you are again right in thinking the bottom part is related to the Brackett series. You've done all the work now, the last step is the easiest!
    I've done it.

Wow, that was satisfying. Thank you!

that's what someone else said but i did edexcel
    'Excitation' is a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone give us another hint on Gold?
    I still can't find what they're looking for! Is is a specific species of bacteria or a genus or just a common name of a group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallika)
    I still can't find what they're looking for! Is is a specific species of bacteria or a genus or just a common name of a group?
    im on that one now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallika)
    hey have you found the answer, do you have any hints???

ReputationRep:
    urrghh.....
    ........the last one.....
    hints? or even pm me the answer.....

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I think I'm out of my depths regarding the Roentgenium question :O Any hints?
    Sorry to be pain haha

ReputationRep:
    It's not a shift, you may want to look up a group of series' relating to electron excitation and then what happens when an electron returns to a certain energy level..
    Looking at your later hints about balmer series I see that I wasn't completely wrong about the shift thing, the Balmer Series is used to calculate red shift so I was almost on the right lines, ahh gcse physics.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am kicking myself.

In being busy trying to force myself to do revision, I actually forgot about C3L6 because I am a complete plum. :|

*cries*

:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I've probably spent the longest time on this question so I know how everyone is feeling. In fact, I decided to make a TSR account just so I can help others since no-one was before.

HINT for the Rg question: the number is between 3000 & 4000, the image in the background is a Free Induction Decay graph, and the idea of resonance is very important.

Good Luck
    I am grateful that you're trying to help.

Usually I get the challenge done quickly, but I forgot about it.
    And I'm failing on the Copper question; any hints?

I managed to suss out it's something to do with the Balmer series and spectra in general without coming on here before, worked out that 8->2 is ~389 using the whole [8^2/(8^2-4)]*364.56 or whatever it is. But then trying to get from 8->4 is a bit confusing. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopy786)
    I am grateful that you're trying to help.

Usually I get the challenge done quickly, but I forgot about it.
    And I'm failing on the Copper question; any hints?

I managed to suss out it's something to do with the Balmer series and spectra in general without coming on here before, worked out that 8->2 is ~389 using the whole [8^2/(8^2-4)]*364.56 or whatever it is. But then trying to get from 8->4 is a bit confusing. :confused:
    Balmer series is for x -> 2. Try using the Brackett series which is for x -> 4.

Also, there isn't a need for using a formula.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.