Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you recognise the biochemistry term translation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Do you recognise the biochemistry term translation?
    Haha No problem i've just realised what you meant.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who is done / doing the paper, mark scheme comes out on Friday - come back on this on Thursday so we can find out how everyone did!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any hints for Silver?
    I am obviously being very dense.

I know the name of the molecule in the background and I know a few different bits of labware that work of that technique shown.

However I cannot find the name or the inventor of that method of filtration and later versions (the ones used nowadays) don't seem to work as the answer.

I cannot find a link between any of these scientists and the porphine either. I know it can form chlorophyll etc... which is the reason for the leaf in the background. Loads of people have done research on chlorophyll though so that doe not narrow it down!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember any of the answers to check with me?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't discuss this paper.

It is only fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Please don't discuss this paper.

It is only fair.
    Please stop acting like you are a moderator.

ReputationRep:
    Please stop.

How did you guys find the paper? Which questions were the hardest? I'm hoping i got at least a silver but aiming for gold!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, quite a few people haven't done the paper yet, it's only fair not to ruin your own chances if you let others know what's on it ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What mark is normally needed for a gold?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Please stop acting like you are a moderator.
    Can it not wait until Friday before you start discussing the paper?

Imagine if someone got hold of the questions (and answers), got a high mark and won a place on the residential course in Cambridge not really deserving to be there. Imagine being that person, surrounded by genii, completely out of their depth. Would it be fair to the person who was denied a place by a cheat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indium)
    What mark is normally needed for a gold?
    Worryingly:

2011: 40
    2012: 31
    2013: 28
    2014: 27

Evidence that the papers keep getting harder?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember any of the questions/answers? I did it yesterday and everyone in my school came out with different answers. I can't remember most of the paper but can someone remind me so we can compare answers?

ReputationRep:
    Let's talk about it tomorrow afternoon, people still haven't done it yet! PM me or the others who have done it if you want to discuss beforehand tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_sheikh98)
    Let's talk about it tomorrow afternoon, people still haven't done it yet! PM me or the others who have done it if you want to discuss beforehand tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeahh this challenge is literally the hardest thing i've ever done how do people do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_sheikh98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    some people have this on Friday

ReputationRep:
    The mark scheme comes out on Friday, can't you all wait until then to discuss it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
    The clue is the background image. I worked it out in 2 seconds.
    I still don't get it. can you please tell me the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    I counted all the carbons, hydrogens and oxygens. Tried to match it with different molecules.
    Finally saw the weed in background after working it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    The background is cannabis. One of the main compounds in Cannabis is THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.