Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Okay scratch that then. Groups/atoms in a molecule are said to be "chemically equivalent" or "in the same environment" if the structure of the molecule is such that they are joined to the same groups/atoms.

e.g.

The molecule is symmetric about the 3rd carbon, so the protons on the 1st & 5th and 2nd & 4th are equivalent.

However the molecule need not be symmetric:

This molecule has almost no symmetry but there are equivalent proton environments on the phenyl substituent (the 6-memebered ring with alternating double bonds), as the 2/6 and 3/5 protons are equivalent (counting clockwise around the ring, starting where the phenyl is joined to the other part of the molecule).

There doesn't necessarily need to be symmetry: see above.
    Awesome this really helps, the environment thing has come up twice in vocabulary and it will really help with the questions.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year, I remember walking out very perplexed and thankful for how much easier my AS chemistry exams were. Ended up with a Silver which I was fairly happy with given that no work was put into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the 2011 paper. why do the deuteriums have to be on the carbon not involved in the double bond rather than the double bonding carbon on the end of the propene, given that they're in the same environment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klimenski)
    What do you mean by equivalent, the mark scheme shows 3 OH groups around the arsenic atom, how does environment link in with that?
    where is the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys remeber your answers for the latest 2016 challenge sat today (23/06/16) or find a mock mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klimenski)
    Do you guys remeber your answers for the latest 2016 challenge sat today (23/06/16) or find a mock mark scheme?
    the first question had something to do with extraction of titanium

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember answers to the 2016 paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krish10)
    Anyone remember answers to the 2016 paper?
    got my marks back today!! I got a silver award!!! so chuffed!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread and the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, I've completed the first two June 2015 online challenge and i'm stuck on the Sliver Level Question which is titled 'Whose Nail?'. I'm a little bit confused as the image background shows the molecular model of C20H14N4 which is Porphin and the answer is not Porphin! So please help me with this question

Thank you all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenapplepear)
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread and the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, I've completed the first two June 2015 online challenge and i'm stuck on the Sliver Level Question which is titled 'Whose Nail?'. I'm a little bit confused as the image background shows the molecular model of C20H14N4 which is Porphin and the answer is not Porphin! So please help me with this question

Thank you all!!!
    A picture would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    A picture would be useful.

Yes, here u go.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenapplepear)

Yes, here u go.

Thanks
    Have fun.

https://www.wikiwand.com/hr/Willst%C...4%8Davli%C4%87

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.