The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Please; Any help with Gold? It´s very difficult...
Reply 601
With Gold, I have the mass of graphene per m^2 in kg and the surface area of the Earth, also in m^2. I'm multiplying them together, which isn't returning the correct result. What am I doing wrong?
Original post by Lutski
With Gold, I have the mass of graphene per m^2 in kg and the surface area of the Earth, also in m^2. I'm multiplying them together, which isn't returning the correct result. What am I doing wrong?

Hey, I'm doing this too. :frown: GRR Silly question... My eyes hurt. I give in, time to sleep and revise in the morning. :cry2:
Original post by chemistinthemaking
I'm using my molecular modelling set, It's getting fiddly! PM me if you have the figures :biggrin: thanks, I'll love you forever :tongue:

Yeah i'm getting bored of this endless isomerism puzzle. someone put me out of my misery again.
Reply 604
Original post by Lutski

What is the value of mass per meter squared you have?
someone help with Rg pleaseeeeeee pm me
Original post by chemistinthemaking
someone help with Rg pleaseeeeeee pm me

Same, on this one I really have not got a clue

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 607
Help in Gold; I know that SA of Earth is 510064471.9 km^2 and of graphene: 2.675*10^-3 km^2/kg. But I can´t get the correct answer :s-smilie:
Reply 608
For those of you stuck on Rg. A clue is that there can only be one element in the centre and the shape of the molecule is drawn in the back ground. For 2nd one, it might help to find the different combinations of the two "poles" of the molecule as they have different bond angle. Then assess the different combinations for the 3 elements in the middle.
Reply 609
Can someone give me the answer to Rg? I'm not sure I actually have the knowledge to complete this.
Original post by Lutski
Can someone give me the answer to Rg? I'm not sure I actually have the knowledge to complete this.

same
Reply 611
can somebody private message me with some help with the Rg! seriously struggling with it! :frown:
Original post by distroyer
can somebody private message me with some help with the Rg! seriously struggling with it! :frown:

Same, I have holes in my knowledge to complete this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
someone tell me Rg and I will be soooo grateful. pm me pleaseeeee I need to study for my exam as well
Reply 614
For the first compound, only Si can be in the middle, for the second one, only P in the middle and for the last one, only S in the middle. From there, it's just the number of different permutations you can have which would result in optical isomers.
This is a massive clue for the last molecule:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octahedral_molecular_geometry
so it's 1 + something^2 plus 30^3?
Reply 616
This makes me sad, I feel as if I can't do anything at all.
I still dont get it with Rg... :/ I thought abt 30^3 + 1 + something^2 too.....
There's more than one isomer for the first one - it's chiral...

As for the second one, use the fact that you know the 3rd is 30. Compare the number of different ligands to the number if isomers.
Original post by chemicangel
There's more than one isomer for the first one - it's chiral...

As for the second one, use the fact that you know the 3rd is 30. Compare the number of different ligands to the number if isomers.

Thanks! I got it :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest