The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:
Well, I'm still stuck on the entry :/
Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me out??
Please! I understand everyone is excited with the RG, but I am stuck at the entry since 2 hours+ and would really really appreciate any help- it will only take a second- pleasee :frown:
Reply 621
so is it 2+something^2+30^3?
Reply 622
I need desperate help with Rg, so if anyone can mail me the answer, that'd be fabulous.
Reply 623
yay finally got it! :biggrin: message me if you need any help :smile:
Wow, that challenge was a breeze except for gold. There's like only one website that gives the correct area density. PM if anybody needs help. By the way, clue for Rg, use combinations on your calculator for the middle one.
Reply 625
Yey! Finished! :tongue:

What a shame that well have to wait until January to get some more of this. :frown:

Well here is something for all those of you who want to get Roentgenium done!

Try plugging this in! 27102

Its not the solution, but it will give you a hint. Use that hint and all the other ones flying around to find it!

Have fun guys!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Randophera
Wow, that challenge was a breeze except for gold. There's like only one website that gives the correct area density. PM if anybody needs help. By the way, clue for Rg, use combinations on your calculator for the middle one.

Can You please put up the link of that website??
Reply 627
Help with Rg please! Message me! :"( :'(
Original post by Moriorinvictus
Can You please put up the link of that website??

I can't. It's an article from the science journal "nature". And when I go to the link, it won't give me the full article because I have to make a username/password and login first. So how did I get the density value? Y'know how in google, when you search something, they put the hits on the page, and then a small preview of the text underneath it? I read it off from that preview.

But if you don't mind jumping a few hoops to see the nature article...here you go:
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v3/n4/full/nnano.2008.58.html
Reply 629
igcse student i have no clue the entry level is about please pm me the answer or any other help you can give
Reply 630
Original post by nihar97
igcse student i have no clue the entry level is about please pm me the answer or any other help you can give

It's the skeletal formula of a compound. Each vertex (corner, if you will) represents a carbon atom. Note: Hydrogen atoms that are bonded to Carbon atoms are not shown, but it is relatively easy to work out how many are on each individual carbon (considering that each carbon can only have 4 bonds around it).

Now you know this, you should be able to find the molecular formula of the compound. Then a quick google search later and you have got it.
Reply 631
arghhh I've been stuck on Rg for hours now! Can someone pm me the answer please? Thanks!
Reply 632
ans for graphene qn please
Reply 633
Hints for entry level please! I keep making the wrong formula :frown: I got C12H11O2N2OH
I keep trying different combinations but they won't work so I'm stuck, can anyone at least give me a hint for the formula, it's counting the hydrogens and the carbons that's hard!
Reply 634
Never mind! I got it after an hour, I downloaded a program called chemsketch and drew the molecule and found the correct formula :biggrin: Kind of cheaty, but I'm only Year 10!
YAAAAY Finished! :biggrin:
Reply 636
Please help with gold been on it for hours.:mad::mad:
Okay I'm just fed up with silver I know I'm being really thick but I have never been able to do those sort of puzzles they make me want to scream. Would somebody please PM me the answer so I can get on to some proper chemistry. Thanks.
Reply 638
If you work out the density for yourself then you get the right answer for the gold question
Original post by Theafricanlegend
anyone help me with copper.. im new to this competition!

The background pictures tend to be very big clues when it comes to the monthly challenges. What is the background picture of? Should give you something to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest