Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theafricanlegend)
    I putting 0.1 but its not accepting it
    Are you sure you looked that up right?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any past papers for the L6 paper other than the 2011 one? If so, could you please post a link? Thanks.

(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Does anyone have any past papers for the L6 paper other than the 2011 one? If so, could you please post a link? Thanks.
    Pretty sure it only started last year, sorry!

ugh silver is fudging annyoning, probably tried all combos
    Have you got the list of the dates? I tried a couple of guesses at first, but when you look at the dates, you should notice that there are certain elements which HAVE to go in certain places, and from there you can slot in the others by inspection.

can anyone tellme if the area density of graphene is 0.77 mg/msquared is right?
    That is correct.

uh oh roentgenium looks very hard!
    I'll post some useful pointers, but only look at them if you get ultra stuck.

Molecule 1
    You may or may not have come across stereo-isomerism, but that is what you're looking at. How many non-superimposable arrangements exist for a tetrahedral compound with 4 different atoms surrounding the central

Molecule 2
    I came back to this one after doing 3. It was useful to note any mathematical relations between the answer to 3 and surrounding atom number

Molecule 3
    This one was quite easy once you knew what to look for. There exists a wikipedia page that will answer this question for you. Knowing the name of the shape helps, then it's just a matter of searching

ReputationRep:
    yes? what is it? i cant find anything on methane in jupiter
    I searched for the 'keywords' ie the element then the number into google, and a table comparing all the values including the required one popped up...
    HINT/ complete giveaway: If you're still stuck... try tripling your original value...
    edit: just read the other posts - thought you said 0.1... yh, no percent sign!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Pretty sure it only started last year, sorry!
    Aha. that explains why my 2 hours of searching found nothing! oh well... thanks for preventing me wasting more of my time!

yeah haha after another hour or so i found the right percentage D , done silver and gold now on to the last bit! any help will be muchly appreciated, i thought the first molecule has 2 isomers the second has 15 and the third has 30 but its giving me the wrong answer any pointers??? id llove to finish this puzzle before school
    Well, what I noticed was:

Small Clue
    For the third molecule, which you have correctly found has 30 isomers, I noticed 30 actually = 6x5 (6 being the number of different atoms attached to the central).
    Ultra Clue
    From there, I noticed that this is actually 6 x (6-1), so I tried applying this to the second molecule
    Answer
    27402, as the second molecule has 5x(5-1) isomers, = 20.

qaww thats so good! what year are you? how are you so good? what did u use? thaanks!!
    I'm year 13, and I just like puzzles. I used my brain and some Google really. Placed top 10 for UK, but I took part every month since it started this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    I'm year 13, and I just like puzzles. I used my brain and some Google really. Placed top 10 for UK, but I took part every month since it started this year.
    Could you post the area density for graphene please? Can't find a correct value anywhere!

(Original post by dmccririck)
    Could you post the area density for graphene please? Can't find a correct value anywhere!
    It was a tricky one to find actually, had a wee bit of help myself. I'll put it in expand as other people might not want to see it.

Graphene
    0.77 milligrams per metre squared.

milligrams you mean?
    Ah yes, my bad Cheers

ReputationRep:
    yeah haha after another hour or so i found the right percentage D , done silver and gold now on to the last bit! any help will be muchly appreciated, i thought the first molecule has 2 isomers the second has 15 and the third has 30 but its giving me the wrong answer any pointers??? id llove to finish this puzzle before school
    first molecule - 2 isomers (optical), third molecule - 30 isomers. correct.
    Second molecule:There is one central atom and five other atoms (from group 7) bonded to it. This makes a trigonal bi-pyramidal structure. There are two atoms vertically bonded and three atoms horizontally bonded. Therefore, you could have, for example, F and Br vertically, and Cl, I and At horizontally. There are therefore 10 combinations in which the atoms can be bonded either vertically or horizontally (5C2). Look back at the first molecule, which had two optical isomers (reflections). Each combination of the second molecule would also have two isomers. Therefore the total number of isomers is...

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the Lower Sixth Exam today?

ReputationRep:
    Myr 12s did it today, looked tough. Nice range of questions..... Please remember the usual rules on exam papers though (the paper is live till the 22nd).

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find the lower sixth exam today?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but we're not allowed to discuss it yet

ReputationRep:
    ohh oops sorry i forgot

ReputationRep:
    I got a silver in the lower sixth exam event, found it rather hard. Did anyone else do it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david2457)
    I got a silver in the lower sixth exam event, found it rather hard. Did anyone else do it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Ohh nice one! I got bronze in it, quite tough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 18, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.