Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck on gold! I know it's the nanokid and something to do with the IR spectrum, but I don't know what to do now, please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xboxaddict)
    I'm really stuck on gold! I know it's the nanokid and something to do with the IR spectrum, but I don't know what to do now, please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the nanoballet dancer. Look up degrees of vibrational freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklepanda)
    I know exactly what I'm looking for with Gold (I know what the molecule is and what the numbers mean) but I don't know how to find the answer. Can anyone help me out? It's really annoying me
    There's a formula to calculate it. It's on the wikipedia page.

(Original post by dmccririck)
    There's a formula to calculate it. It's on the wikipedia page.
    If you still require additional help:
    For a general (non-linear) molecule with N > 2 atoms an N-atom molecule has 3N - 6 vibrational degrees of freedom

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees...and_chemistry) if you wish to read a bit more about it

(Original post by House MD)
    Really stuck on Copper... Just can't work out what to do.

Any help?
    Another hint to find the compound displayed, is the object it is made of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmccririck)
    It's the nanoballet dancer. Look up degrees of vibrational freedom.
    Thankyou! Just finished rg too, managed to do it on my own in around 10 minutes :yay:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu142857)
    If you still require additional help:
    For a general (non-linear) molecule with N > 2 atoms an N-atom molecule has 3N - 6 vibrational degrees of freedom

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees...and_chemistry) if you wish to read a bit more about it
    Thanks can't believe I didn't see that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendads89)
    the volume of the arena is: [50*(365/2)*(365/2)*4pi/3]/2 .... then get it to liters cause it is in cubic meters...for total moles divide by 0.082*273 ... for oxygen moles: multiply by 21% and then by the abundance of each isotope....for the answer multiply by the molecular weight (35.. or 34 it really doesn't matter) and that should be it....
    I did exactly this but it does't seem to work out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryQuiz)
    I did exactly this but it does't seem to work out...
    Yes!! Thank you!! I got it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu142857)
    Another hint to find the compound displayed, is the object it is made of.

(Original post by picklepanda)
    First look at what the molecule is made of, that should give you a hint as to what it is.
    Also, what really helped me was knowing what the symbol was (before max), think about greek letters.
    Maximum wavelength, but I'm drawing a blank and can't figure out what the pink stuff is. Clay? Gum?

(Original post by House MD)
    Maximum wavelength, but I'm drawing a blank and can't figure out what the pink stuff is. Clay? Gum?
    Carrots

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help out with Silver- I get the message that I'm almost there but need to look at the peaks but I don't know where to go from here! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got it! It appears I cannot count!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    I am! I literally checked the time just before you quoted me to see if it was 12:00 yet .
    How did you do Brittanna?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhiannonEdmunds)
    How did you do Brittanna?
    You beat me, I didn't manage to finish RG until after sixth form.:ashamed2:. I came 141st (Alexander H.) :cry:. The first one took me such a long time to do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    You beat me, I didn't manage to finish RG until after sixth form.:ashamed2:. I came 141st (Alexander H.) :cry:. The first one took me such a long time to do though.

Maybe next month? :P

It took me ages!! Spent a good half hour on it! :L

ReputationRep:
    Any one staying up for the challenge tonight.
    If you are good luck and to everyone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinkal)
    Any one staying up for the challenge tonight.
    If you are good luck and to everyone else!
    Yep, good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    as usual, entry has me a bit confused

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap it's the first

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.