Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am currently in the process of applying for university and have recieved all of my offers. My college have been a bit rubbish about advising us what to do next and i have recently found out that i should now be applying for accomodation.
    Currently my status is:
    Roehampton Univeristy- conditional (firm)
    Canterbury Christ Church Univeristy- conditional (insurance)
    The problem is the grade boundries for each uni are quite different so im not sure which one i ill be going to until after my exams.
    So now that it has come to applying for accomodation im getting quite worried, does anyone know:
    - whether or not you are only allowed to apply for accomodation at one uni
    -whether the uni u apply to has to be your firm choice
    -what happens if you apply for accomodation at your firm choice but dont get the grades, and wish to go to your insurance choice
    -if you are expected to pay a large deposit up-front (as one of my choices is asking for £250 in like 2 days time)
    Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    You apply for accommodation at both your firm and insurance choices however you're not actually guranteed your choices at your insurance choice. If you don't get the grades for your firm choice then the majority of the time you'll be allocated accommodation by your insurance choice where they have space.

If you're exceedingly unlucky and your insurance choice can't offer you any of their accommodation they will help you find privately owned accommodation - usually with other first years so you're not left on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Organise accomodation at your firm uni. If you have to go to your insurance, you can sort out accom there after results day.
    You will be expected to pay a deposit, and £250 sounds a reasonable amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martclai04)
    Hey,
    I am currently in the process of applying for university and have recieved all of my offers. My college have been a bit rubbish about advising us what to do next and i have recently found out that i should now be applying for accomodation.
    Currently my status is:
    The problem is the grade boundries for each uni are quite different so im not sure which one i ill be going to until after my exams.
    So now that it has come to applying for accomodation im getting quite worried, does anyone know:
    -what happens if you apply for accomodation at your firm choice but dont get the grades, and wish to go to your insurance choice
    -if you are expected to pay a large deposit up-front (as one of my choices is asking for £250 in like 2 days time)
    Hi, it depends on the uni as to whether you apply for accomm if you're an insurance applicant. Check on their website, and if it's not clear email them asking do you need to apply for accomm as an insurance applicant. Some places need you to, some don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martclai04)
    Hey,
    Currently my status is:
    1.) Have a look at your unis accomodation policy. It varies between uni as to whether you get accomodation if you place a uni as your insurance.
    2) If your insurance uni doesnt let you apply for a place in halls, then they should help you find a house with others in your situation.
    3) A deposit is common though this usually isnt paid until you have accepted your accomodation offer. In most cases the accomodation offer isnt made until after results day in August This may differ in some unis though.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.