Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm some weeks away from my real GCSEs and I need to find a solution to this dilemma. The business teacher recommends people to not get AS Business if you are not doing the GCSE, however, I have some older friends which were in the same situation and say that it isn't hard to catch up.

My grades are generally quite good, but will I be able to get the highest grades in AS Business?
    The other option would be French, which I'm quite good at, however, my interests for the future focus on something like marketing or architecture. Are the subjects that you actually choose that important? or are grades more important?
    Btw I'm doing Art, Mathematics and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be honest with you, if you're predicted good GCSE grades, then I don't see why you wouldn't be capable of studying AS Business Studies.

If, like you said, study Maths, Art, and Physics, with Business as your 4th AS subject, then it would be perfectly fine. I would advise you to do these 4 during the AS (first year), and then if you'd like to drop an AS at the end of your first year at college/sixth form, drop art - simply because if you'd like to get into a good uni (especially with the competition nowadays), it'd be best for you to take maths, physics and business, which is a very good combination.

But also, french, maths, business, and physics, is another combination I'd recommend for you to do. Of course, it all comes down to personal preference. Will you be happy studying these 4 courses, or are you likely to do well in 1 course but not so well in another one? Just some questions for you to think about.

Hope I've helped. If there's anything you'd like to ask, feel free to.

ReputationRep:
    First of all thank you, that made me think a bit about actually doing french instead of art which is possible, however the bad thing is that I like art quite a lot.
    Many people say that Business is everything, meaning that it is an important part of daily life, as well as maths. I also have the advantage of knowing a decent english and an almost perfect spanish, I can only understand some chinese and I have a basic knowledge of french from the GCSEs. However, my doubt is, how could a wide knowledge of languages relate with business or maths and physics? In very simple terms, what goods joobs or carreers are there that adapt to my abilities? (I personally think that I'm excellent at maths and physics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sellord)
    First of all thank you, that made me think a bit about actually doing french instead of art which is possible, however the bad thing is that I like art quite a lot.
    Many people say that Business is everything, meaning that it is an important part of daily life, as well as maths. I also have the advantage of knowing a decent english and an almost perfect spanish, I can only understand some chinese and I have a basic knowledge of french from the GCSEs. However, my doubt is, how could a wide knowledge of languages relate with business or maths and physics? In very simple terms, what goods joobs or carreers are there that adapt to my abilities? (I personally think that I'm excellent at maths and physics)
    Firstly, you're welcome. Also, there are a lot of options for you. I know it may sound strange doing maths, physics, french and business. But they're a good combination of AS subjects. First off, look at the universities you hope to go to, and look at their current if not, 2012, entry requirements - you can find out so much more. But I'd say, it's perfectly fine doing french, maths, physics or maths, physics, and business, at A2. Of course, it does depend on your future career choice. Make sure you choose the courses wisely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.