Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people spend so much on prom?! :/ watch

ReputationRep:
    I chose not to go, and I didn't regret it at all.
    Before it, everyone wouldn't stop talking about how great it'd be; afterwards they complained how boring and rubbish it was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    My prom dress was £30 :smug:

Ticket was about £25, and for the limo it worked out as about £13 each as there was a big group of us. My cousin did my hair as she's a hairdresser. So mine worked out relatively cheap Some people are prepared to pay hundreds or whatever because theres so much focus on how amazing the prom is supposed to be ...
    Where did you get it from? :ninja:

OP, I don't intend spending much on prom at all. Overall ticket was £30, including the meal and a private room at a club after. I'm going to do my own hair and my own makeup, all I need is a dress, money for alcohol and I'm away.

ReputationRep:
    That is a bit much! I was looking forward to it but I didn't go overboard!

My dress was £17 in the sale, meant to be £30

Bag £5, shoes £15, I wore jewellry I already had. (both were black, I still use them time and time again)

Tube of fake tan (didn't wanna look washed out in a pink dress) was £3, false nails £2, false eyelashes £3 (hey it's a special occaision ) and I did my hair/makeup/tan/nails myself. A group of 40 of us clubbed together an hired a decorated double decker bus for £5 each. Had a great time, but the after party was more fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Where did you get it from? :ninja:

OP, I don't intend spending much on prom at all. Overall ticket was £30, including the meal and a private room at a club after. I'm going to do my own hair and my own makeup, all I need is a dress, money for alcohol and I'm away.
    TK Maxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of these people who spent average on the year 11 prom, but probably had the most expensive dress at 6th form ball. I didn't do limos or anything, that is over-rated. I arrived at y11 prom in my auntie's porsche (and left in a corsa talk about cinderella!) and in year 13 they put a bus service on for everyone going.

I dont regret what I spent in the slightest, I still think to this day £200 on my 6th form dress was justifiable as i've worn it to compete in beauty pageants since. Accessorising it was hard as it took gold when everything on the market was geared to silver-taking outfits. I didn't pay for hair, makeup or tan because I just did it all myself.

If I had to go back and do it again...i'd actually probably spent more as i've discovered better quality brands like Jovani for dresses.

ReputationRep:
    A few interesting facts about my prom:
    1. There were at least two girls who arrived in wedding dresses.
    2. Most of the girls looked like they were wearing the same dress, except different colours.
    3. One of my friends, who spent over £300 on her dress, ripped it. I spent the majority of the evening handing her tissues whilst she cried in the girls' bathroom.
    4. One of the table-cloths set on fire.
    5. I ended up paying £75 for the limo, because people kept dropping out from my group of friends and pushing the price up. The group of friends split into two fractions - those who'd dropped out and were encouraging me to do the same since £75 is an extortionate amount to pay, and those who felt they needed to be loyal to the end because one of the parents had already forked out on the £200 deposit.

I don't think I'll ever attend a prom again. I'd have a funner time gouging my eyeballs out with a spork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shouldberevising)
    my friends spent £260 on her dress. we wear it for 4 hours!!! i brought mine the other week and spent £150:/ x
    Add a zero onto the end of those prices and you're talking some of the prices i've seen custom pageant dresses at.

£260 is actually pretty cheap, average at my y11 prom was about £400. Mine wasnt that expensive (pre-shipping anyways) but it was awful so I always spend a bit more on a recognised brand now to get the good quality.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous, from what I can remember my year 11 prom was very dull, certainly not an amazing night that everyone seems to think it's going to be - I never understood the limo thing either, it's so tacky! People can't get enough of them though, even when I was in primary school some mother's hired one for their kids to leave in on the last day of year 6. Madness!

As for dresses, A lot of people tended to hire theirs - especially if you're looking for the typical 'prom' style. There are sometimes ball gowns in TK MAXX for around 30 quid that's where I got mine (But this was about 6 years ago!)
    Coast and Monsoon have some lovely dresses in loads of styles, maybe slightly overpriced but there could be a sale or discounts going on

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to my year 11 prom, I don't regret it as people told me I would, I saved hundreds of pounds and I heard that it wasn't that good anyway. There was a pretty hilarious photo of the 'popular' girls dressed in american style prom dresses with near enough the same bead designs on them but in different colours. They looked like skittles lined up with the exact same hairstyle and a fake diamond tiara on top.

I'm not sure if I'll even go to the year 13 prom as I could be camping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catiexx)
    Hey, well my year 11 prom is coming up in a few months and my friends are taking it all so seriously and I don't understand why?

They have booked a limo and it's costing me £35 for an hour drive, it's stupid but I can't really say so now and I need to tell my mum soon.

And the dress, one girl at my school has spent £200+ and other bought their dress before christmas; it makes me laugh until I remember I haven't even started looking and I have no idea where to look and I don't really want to spend £150 on a dress I've not seen or tried on.

It is absurd to me why it is so popular and I just think it's too American; I'd rather save my money and spend it on something more useful.

What do you think of it all? And also could you give me any ideas on where to look for reasonably priced dresses?

Thanks
    I thought the exact same thing when I had my Year 11 prom last year. Some girls spent £400+ on everything for prom, and tbh they looked so tacky!

I spent about the same as you on the limo, except ours was for 2 hours. It's good fun in the limo, probably one of the best bits of my prom night tbh. My dress cost £65 - it was from Monsoon and it was beautiful! Everyone assumed I'd got it from a really expensive boutique, so I'd definitely recommend Monsoon. Debenhams also do some fairly cheap (for an event like prom anyway), nice dresses - a lot of my friends got theirs from there. Prom wasn't a massive event for me, probably because me and my friends stayed on at the sixth form and didn't leave.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. The important thing is the people, it doesn't matter how much you spend. I would spend over 100 on a dress if I really liked it and thought I could wear it again, but actually I'm wearing the dress my sister wore to her prom 12 years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    I didn't go to my year 11 prom, I don't regret it as people told me I would, I saved hundreds of pounds and I heard that it wasn't that good anyway. There was a pretty hilarious photo of the 'popular' girls dressed in american style prom dresses with near enough the same bead designs on them but in different colours. They looked like skittles lined up with the exact same hairstyle and a fake diamond tiara on top.

I'm not sure if I'll even go to the year 13 prom as I could be camping.
    Made me :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go, but of my friends that did, no one really had jobs so they didn't have much money. I don't think anyone spent over £50 on a dress.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't spend THAT much on mine. Just a £35 dress and a £10 hair style. But I will tell you something which might sound very corny:
    My mum once told me "A girl will look like a princess at least on two occasions in her life: on her prom and on her wedding". She told me this when I was about 6

Woah! Apparently everyone hated their proms :s
    Mine was pretty fantastic. The whole year put ALL the differences aside and we had the most amazing evening. People who don't normally talk were hanging out and overall the whole evening went smooth and was definitely a blast! I'd do it again, no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I are taking a tandem to the leavers' dance and I'm wearing an ordinary suit and top hat (for comic effect); it shouldn't be too expensive for us!

ReputationRep:
    My prom was amazing.
    Me and my mum made my prom dress - granted we did pay around £80 on the material for it..
    Had my hair, nails and makeup done (none were overly expensive - hair and nails I have done regularly anyway) and I bought a necklace and tiara for £60 in total, then the woman told me that there was a 28 day returns policy, so i took it back after my prom and got my money back for that. Tickets were a tenner i think, parents paid for that, and it was £30 ish for the limo.

Overall, it cost my parents £125ish for my prom. i think they would have been willing to pay a lot more if it was necessary - My dad never got to go to his own prom because my grandad had a heart attack, and they think its important for me to relax and have positive memories like it, they put a lot of effort into making sure that the day was as special as possible. It was the best day of my life so far.

ReputationRep:
    Its a complete flop. Fortunately for me I knew it would be a bit of a pathetic night. So I did the bare minimum and had the same time as everyone who spent hundreds on it.

I remember questioning one girl about why she'd spent £250 on a dress. Needless to say I got my head bitten off with the response "you only get ONE prom". But seriously people (well mostly girls if I'm honest) were acting as if they were getting married.

ReputationRep:
    I never went to prom I couldn't afford it. And tbh me and my friends had a better night camping and getting high.

Why was I given neg rep for what I did on MY prom night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    It was the best day of my life so far.

Really?
    What made it so good?

My prom was pretty mediocre, bit of a laugh I suppose but I wouldn't say it was the best day of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I never went to prom I couldn't afford it. And tbh me and my friends had a better night camping and getting high.

Why was I given neg rep for what I did on MY prom night?
    Because getting high is hardly anything to brag about and it makes you sound like a loser for thinking it's so cool? (Before you blast me, trust me i've seen enough people get high...)

I personally enjoyed my proms at the time. Looking back I think we were all a bit caught in the moment but still.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.