Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My Grandad is leaning more towards catered halls, and as he's the one paying, it's hard to disagree!

What do people think are best?
    Are there set meal times for catered halls? Do you have to be quieter in them or are they the same as student housing?

Thaaaaaaaanks !

ReputationRep:
    at my uni, the houses are mostly filled with malaysian students, due to it being "a closer knit community" and so they can feel more at home. but there are english students over in the village.
    i however am in catered halls, but have found my particular halls has about 35 people in, and we are like one big family... we mostly get on together, yes there are arguments, but when arnt there in a family. in one block of halls there are 6 self contained flats, each with kitchens. so we can cook if we want to.

ou food runs from about 8.30 in the morning till 11 for brekfast, then 12-i dont know maybe 4 for dinner, then 4till 7 for tea... but you can get food inbetween 11 and 12... and then throughout the day from about 11 maybe there is food you can order from the bar such as burgers and chips and stuff... so if you dont like whats on the servary that particular day, you can go to the bar...
    but now iv run out of cash on my DIS card, like most have, im cooking my own food, which iv missed doing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    My Grandad is leaning more towards catered halls, and as he's the one paying, it's hard to disagree!

What do people think are best?
    Are there set meal times for catered halls? Do you have to be quieter in them or are they the same as student housing?

Thaaaaaaaanks !
    In catered halls, you usually have to have meals at set times, and will only get a limited choice. Some halls also don't provide lunch or weekend meals, so they expect students to buy stuff in the canteen or eat out at weekends, which can obviously get expensive.

Self-catered halls are probably better if you want more choice and a more relaxed schedule, and if you're worried about learning to cook it is really easy to pick up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    In catered halls, you usually have to have meals at set times, and will only get a limited choice. Some halls also don't provide lunch or weekend meals, so they expect students to buy stuff in the canteen or eat out at weekends, which can obviously get expensive.

Self-catered halls are probably better if you want more choice and a more relaxed schedule, and if you're worried about learning to cook it is really easy to pick up!
    Thankyou! Yeah, I think I am liking the idea a bit more now, just knowing that I can go back after a long day and have a nice meal waiting for me! haha, thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    at my uni, the houses are mostly filled with malaysian students, due to it being "a closer knit community" and so they can feel more at home. but there are english students over in the village.
    i however am in catered halls, but have found my particular halls has about 35 people in, and we are like one big family... we mostly get on together, yes there are arguments, but when arnt there in a family. in one block of halls there are 6 self contained flats, each with kitchens. so we can cook if we want to.

ou food runs from about 8.30 in the morning till 11 for brekfast, then 12-i dont know maybe 4 for dinner, then 4till 7 for tea... but you can get food inbetween 11 and 12... and then throughout the day from about 11 maybe there is food you can order from the bar such as burgers and chips and stuff... so if you dont like whats on the servary that particular day, you can go to the bar...
    but now iv run out of cash on my DIS card, like most have, im cooking my own food, which iv missed doing...
    oh are most of the people there foreign then?! that's interesting! so do you just pay for your meals on a card then? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    oh are most of the people there foreign then?! that's interesting! so do you just pay for your meals on a card then? x
    not at my uni we have the village, and halls. i think there are 7 halls, 4 with about 40 people in, then 3 that are bigger, not sure how many in them.
    then i dont know how many house there are, but some houses have british students, and the rest are international. so i wouldnt say its mostly international.

yeah, at the start of the year i had £750 on my card, which i paid via rent, so it was cheap, and if i bought food from the canteen, or shop then id buy it with the card. i not have well not much left... haha

ReputationRep:
    not at my uni we have the village, and halls. i think there are 7 halls, 4 with about 40 people in, then 3 that are bigger, not sure how many in them.
    then i dont know how many house there are, but some houses have british students, and the rest are international. so i wouldnt say its mostly international.

yeah, at the start of the year i had £750 on my card, which i paid via rent, so it was cheap, and if i bought food from the canteen, or shop then id buy it with the card. i not have well not much left... haha
    You must be from Marjon!

You don't see many of us on here! What do you study?

ReputationRep:
    You must be from Marjon!

You don't see many of us on here! What do you study?
    Haha ayyye im a marjonian
    Were few and far between but were supirior
    (lets see how many neg reps i get for that one )

Im doing youth and community work in first year

You on speach and language???

ReputationRep:
    Haha ayyye im a marjonian
    Were few and far between but were supirior
    (lets see how many neg reps i get for that one )

Im doing youth and community work in first year

You on speach and language???
    Yep, first year too.

I asked ages ago why there wasn't a Marjon forum on here, but they said we need at least 10 active members to qualify.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going for selfcatered accomodation, but i just like to cook (although i dont get much chance to at home because my parents do it all) and i look forward to being able to eat all the stuff i cant at home becuase my younger siblings dont like it

does anyone else collect the sainsburys recipe cards? i have about two folders of them...

ReputationRep:
    It depends how many societies/clubs you think you will join/how proactive you are. If you are catered, you will be eating with 100s of other people so you and your corridor can go down to dinner, meet new people and all sit together on a few tables, it's really, really sociable.

In self catered you won't have that stimulus so it will be up to you to make sure you get out and meet a lot of new people, rather than just those in your flat and neighbouring flats. You can obviously have people round for dinner in your flat but it means you need to organise it quite precisely - buying extra food, timing everything, etc. whereas in catered you can all get back from lectures, knock on each other's doors and go to dinner as a big group.

Catered also saves time, which is really helpful in first year as you'll be so busy - cooking and washing up take quite a while if you are going to cook properly and not live off ready meals!

I definitely know more people in my halls than my friends who are in self-catered halls do - I know about 200 people in my halls well enough to say hi to and have a quick chat with. My uni is collegiate which obviously helps massively, but I have friends at another self-catered collegiate uni who only know their flat and friends of their flatmates (and obviously friends who they make through societies, etc but I have met other people in that way too).

ReputationRep:
    Yep, first year too.

I asked ages ago why there wasn't a Marjon forum on here, but they said we need at least 10 active members to qualify.
    well that is stupid. it shouldnt matter how many people you have, as long as their all happy [=

you having fun at marjonn??

ReputationRep:
    well that is stupid. it shouldnt matter how many people you have, as long as their all happy [=

you having fun at marjonn??
    Not at the mo, I've got two assignments in for tomorrow!

I don't live on campus so I can at least not get too distracted! Off home for Easter on Thursday s looking forward to that.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Not at the mo, I've got two assignments in for tomorrow!

I don't live on campus so I can at least not get too distracted! Off home for Easter on Thursday s looking forward to that.

What about you?
    im filled with placments at the moment. and a few assignments!

yeah there are lots of distractions on campus, especially lads banging on the flat door at half 2 in the mroning when you have a 9 oclock lecture to get up for, just because they can and their drunk.

ahhh i wish i could go home at easter! but nooo got placement. gonna be a fun easter. but i have 2 months left till i get home! cant wait!

ReputationRep:
    im filled with placments at the moment. and a few assignments!

yeah there are lots of distractions on campus, especially lads banging on the flat door at half 2 in the mroning when you have a 9 oclock lecture to get up for, just because they can and their drunk.

ahhh i wish i could go home at easter! but nooo got placement. gonna be a fun easter. but i have 2 months left till i get home! cant wait!
    I start my clinical placement on 16th May, but I've just finished my elderly and nursery placements.

How long is your placement? I didn't realise they could schedule them for in holidays!

ReputationRep:
    I start my clinical placement on 16th May, but I've just finished my elderly and nursery placements.

How long is your placement? I didn't realise they could schedule them for in holidays!
    its a concurrent. runs from sort of october while may. and we have to get 266 hours in. and to be able to complete it by end of may i have to stay over easter, otherwise i finish end of june........

ReputationRep:
    its a concurrent. runs from sort of october while may. and we have to get 266 hours in. and to be able to complete it by end of may i have to stay over easter, otherwise i finish end of june........
    Ah right. I feel like I have it easy now!

What setting is your placement in?

ReputationRep:
    Id reccomend self catered.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on you. I'm going to Scarborough and I have the choice between catered halls on campus or non-catered houses off site. I'm going for the non-catered because personally I want an oven and I want to be able to cook my own meals and decide what I want to eat myself. Some people though I suppose are better suited to catered.

I'd have a word with your Grandad and explain your reasons...maybe he'll come around to your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. I feel like I have it easy now!

What setting is your placement in?
    its in a youth centre this year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.