Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    People are revising for this when there are two English exams looming ahead of them before Biology? :eyeball: I'm leaving revision for this 'til Wednesday!
    This exam is tomorrow.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tericon)
    Would like to know answer to that too, as you seem to know about that can i pick your brains?

So with non-reducing, if its a positive result, it could be reducing still....why is this? Why does reducing test have to be done to rule out it being a reducing?
    This is because some mono/disaccharides will reduce Benedict's reagent and some won't. So by doing the reducing sugars test (mainly to do with monosaccharides) you can be sure that there are no reducing sugars present because it doesn't reduce Benedict's reagent. By doing the non - reducing sugars test (mainly to do with disaccharides) you hydrolyze the non - reducing sugar into monosaccharides. These monosaccharides may well be reducing sugars so if it does reduce Benedict's reagent this time round you know that a non - reducing sugar was present in the original sample.

I hope that makes sense... sort of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasira372)
    Heres a quick question

How do ventillation and circulation maintain a difference in concentration
    Ventilation brings in air with a high conc. of oxygen and removes air with a low conc. of oxygen. Circulation removes blood with low conc. of oxygen and pumps around blood with high con. of oxygen... something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Explain how the products of carbohydrate digestion are absorbed Into the blood (5)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    What exam are you on about this is AS Level Unit 1 biology. The exam is first thing tomorrow morning.
    (Original post by jones_wise)
    This exam is tomorrow.....
    Oops, sorry!

I'm talking about the Unit 2 and 3 exams on Thursday. I thought they were all on the same day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Oops, sorry!

I'm talking about the Unit 2 and 3 exams on Thursday. I thought they were all on the same day...
    Unit 2 exam is the following week on thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Oops, sorry!

Unit 2 is the Thurday after.

ReputationRep:
    If we were asked to define monoclonal antibodies, do you think this would be sufficient: a type of antibody that comes from cells clones from a single B cell. ?

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2 exam is the following week on thursday.

(Original post by liviaaa)
    Unit 2 is the Thurday after.
    Thursday 19th May, isn't it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones_wise)
    If we were asked to define monoclonal antibodies, do you think this would be sufficient: a type of antibody that comes from cells clones from a single B cell. ?
    Yeah that would be correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    Explain how the products of carbohydrate digestion are absorbed Into the blood (5)
    -Starch, digested by salivary amylase to form the dissacharide maltose
    -Stopped in stomach by HCl denaturing amylase
    -Continues in s.intestine, with amylase
    -Maltose is digested by maltase by hydrolysis, maltase is found in lining of gut wall
    -Glucose is absorbed by co-transport with sodium via carrier protein in to epithelial cells
    -Glucose moves from epithelial cell into blood by facilicated diffusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    26th May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    carbohydrates are hydrolysed by enzymes to produce monosaccharides such as glucose, fructose and galactose. glucose is absorbed into the blood firstly by diffusion along a concentration gradient, as the concentration of glucose in the lumen of the small intestine is greater than that of the blood.
    however once dynamic equilibrium is established there will be no net movement of glucose into the blood as there is no concentration gradient. the remaining glucose is then absorbed by co-transport, indirectly using ATP. sodium travels agaisnt a concentration gradient into the blood by the sodium-potassium ion pump, which uses ATP to actively transport na+ions into the blood. this results in the sodium concentration of the lumen in the small intestine being higher than that of the epithelial cells. sodium couples with glucose and travels along a concentration gradient using co-transport protien carriers into the epithelial cells. glucose then moves along a concentration gradient into the blood by facilitated diffusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    26th... Are you doing AQA?

ReputationRep:
    what going on people! what do you think will come up in the exam tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    26th May.

(Original post by liviaaa)
    26th... Are you doing AQA?
    Yes, I'm doing AQA Biology Units 2 and 3, both at the same time on Thursday 19th May.

This is getting confusing...

ReputationRep:
    I always get this wrong! Would writing 'Antibodies produced from a single type of cloned B cells' be correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Yes, I'm doing AQA Biology Units 2 and 3, both at the same time on Thursday 19th May.

Which spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)

Are you sure you are talking about AS level and not GCSE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.