Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    Many different substances enter and leave a cell by crossing its cell surface membrane. Describe how substances can cross a cell surface membrane. (5 Marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    PanicPanicPanicPanic!!!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT I KNEW MOST OF THE STUFF! I DON'T!!!!!
    What dont you know? : O

ReputationRep:
    For the alveoli, it is essential to say the walls are folded to give a large surface area as the june 2010 paper only allowed that.
    aww, dont worry mate.. i feel exctly the same.. infact i am!! ur not alone, wer in the same boat!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    For secondary response i put it as:

There are already many memory cells from a previous infection by a pathogen, and these "remember" the antigen, so during the secondary response more antibodies are produced a lot quicker and these neutralise a pathogen and its toxins before symptoms of a disease begin to appear.

I use a mixture of nelson thornes and CGP. Then i do all the past papers as both of them use words that AQA don't!
    Think you need to know differences between T memory and B memory cells I think.
    I think T killers remember the shape of antigens and B memory remember how to produce the antibodies to neutralise the antigens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    What dont you know? : O
    I feel like i don't, when I do?!?! I really don't know.

I'm just quite paranoid i'll forget everything..

ReputationRep:
    Many different substances enter and leave a cell by crossing its cell surface membrane. Describe how substances can cross a cell surface membrane. (5 Marks)
    Small non-polar substance can enter through the phospholipid bi-layer through diffusion. Those that are too large, eg glucose or polar have to use carrier proteins which is facillitated diffuision and is a passive movement so requires no energy.

Any examples of polar substances? Is it ions?

ReputationRep:

Don't just read over everything, make questions for each chapter and see if you can answer. Questions just testing the content of your own notes. That's what I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    Simple diffusion - net movement of a molecule/ion from a high concentration to a low concentration down a concentration gradient.
    Facilitated diffusion and active transport requires carrier proteins.
    In the phospholipid bilayer, lipid-soluble molecules can pass through it, whereas water-soluble ones come through protein carriers.
    Active transport - against a concentration gradient, requires ATP and carrier proteins/co-transport mechanism. Sodium potassium transport?!?
    Osmosis - movement of water from a high water potential to a low water potential through a partially permeable membrane.

I really d on't know what i've wrote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones_wise)
    Correct. That would be enough to get all three marks.
    I've learnt that in this unit being simple gets you the marks :P

ReputationRep:
    Simple diffusion - net movement of a molecule/ion from a high concentration to a low concentration down a concentration gradient.
    Facilitated diffusion and active transport requires carrier proteins.
    In the phospholipid bilayer, lipid-soluble molecules can pass through it, whereas water-soluble ones come through protein carriers.
    Active transport - against a concentration gradient, requires ATP and carrier proteins/co-transport mechanism. Sodium potassium transport?!?
    Osmosis - movement of water from a high water potential to a low water potential through a partially permeable membrane.

I really d on't know what i've wrote!
    I think simple diffusion is only small, lipid soluble, non polar molecules (i.e. not ions.) Ions pass through ion channels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    No, that's not right. It goes into the blood. Look at June 09, question 7b.
    Bloody hell guys! i thought the same as tlantlan. thank god i checked this! i had to read over my notes again and realised ive written it down wrong this whole time! PHEWWWWWW
    if this comes up then i know who to thank

ReputationRep:

Just think, in 24hrs this exam will be over :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Think you need to know differences between T memory and B memory cells I think.
    I think T killers remember the shape of antigens and B memory remember how to produce the antibodies to neutralise the antigens.
    I think the main difference is B cells make anti bodies and T cells don't. Both remember the "shape" as both have to bind to kill/produce antibodies.

ReputationRep:
    I think simple diffusion is only small, lipid soluble, non polar molecules (i.e. not ions.) Ions pass through ion channels.
    In the NT book it says molecules OR ions! ?

Thanks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Just think, in 24hrs this exam will be over :/
    YAY But then maths...

ReputationRep:
    In the NT book it says molecules OR ions! ?

Thanks though.
    I don't think so.. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Small non-polar substance can enter through the phospholipid bi-layer through diffusion. Those that are too large, eg glucose or polar have to use carrier proteins which is facillitated diffuision and is a passive movement so requires no energy.

Any examples of polar substances? Is it ions?
    yeah i think its ions like K+, Na+, etc. but im not sure....

ReputationRep:
    I think the main difference is B cells make anti bodies and T cells don't. Both remember the "shape" as both have to bind to kill/produce antibodies.
    Yeah thought so. Thanks for comfirming it though

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone tell me how I would answer this question in simple terms if this came up as a 6-7 mark question in the exam. 'Describe how water moves from roots to leaves?' Or something like that.. I always end up waffling!!

I'm having trouble with transports in plants :mad: Also, if anyone can explain how sucrose is loaded into the phloem that would be great also!

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm doing this exam but i'm really stuck on something
    the bronchi and other parts of the lung have smooth muscle but what is this ?
    is this the elastic tissue which controls the blood flow ?

Please Help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.