Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiviD)
    Bloody hell guys! i thought the same as tlantlan. thank god i checked this! i had to read over my notes again and realised ive written it down wrong this whole time! PHEWWWWWW
    if this comes up then i know who to thank
    It's okay. I bet it won't come up now haha.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if water gets to the hydrophilic tails and surrounds it completely so cannot flip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twilight =D)
    Hi i'm doing this exam but i'm really stuck on something
    the bronchi and other parts of the lung have smooth muscle but what is this ?
    is this the elastic tissue which controls the blood flow ?

Please Help
    Bronchi don't have any blood flowing through...?

ReputationRep:
    Think they might ask us this time to calculate percentage increase/decrease etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    Hi, can anyone tell me how I would answer this question in simple terms if this came up as a 6-7 mark question in the exam. 'Describe how water moves from roots to leaves?' Or something like that.. I always end up waffling!!

I'm having trouble with transports in plants :mad: Also, if anyone can explain how sucrose is loaded into the phloem that would be great also!
    Thats unit 2?

Water enters the roots through osmosis. Then enters the cells and travels via the cell walls. (atoplast) If it encouters the casaerian strip is has to go through the vascule (systoplast). Once it gets to the stem, active transport takes it up the stems. Due to cohesion theory, when one water molecule is pulled up, it pulls the others with it as they are bonded with hydrogen bonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    What happens if water gets to the hydrophilic tails and surrounds it completely so cannot flip?
    Lmao it will probs implode

Disclaimer: Do not write the above in your exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Think they might ask us this time to calculate percentage increase/decrease etc?
    Maybe. There will be calculations so maybe the OP could maybe edit the post to include all the formulaes if they can

Though this one is new value-old value/old value * 100

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please verify if this is correct:

Mag = img/actual size
    Actual size = img/mag

ReputationRep:
    Thats unit 2?

Water enters the roots through osmosis. Then enters the cells and travels via the cell walls. (atoplast) If it encouters the casaerian strip is has to go through the vascule (systoplast). Once it gets to the stem, active transport takes it up the stems. Due to cohesion theory, when one water molecule is pulled up, it pulls the others with it as they are bonded with hydrogen bonds.
    I'm doing OCR, it moves up due to active transport?? Isn't it osmosis, water lost from leaf so due to cohesion tension theory another water molecule is pulled up? All water molecules stick (cohesion) to each other, and they stick to the walls of the vessels (adhesion) to form long continuous chains of water in the xylem.

And what about Sucrose?

ReputationRep:
    sorry i mean air flowing through

please explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Can someone please verify if this is correct:

Mag = img/actual size
    Actual size = img/mag
    Yeah

remember the IAM triangle

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR, it moves up due to active transport?? Isn't it osmosis, water lost from leaf so due to cohesion tension theory another water molecule is pulled up? All water molecules stick (cohesion) to each other, and they stick to the walls of the vessels (adhesion) to form long continuous chains of water in the xylem.

And what about Sucrose?
    this is for AQA unit 1. please don't confuse us all. thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkks.

ReputationRep:

And what about Sucrose?
    My teacher said active transport. Because the water needs to be in the leaf so there is a high concentration. Might differ between boards.
    Don't think sucrose transport in plants are in AQA not sure cos I hate phloem and xylems.

ReputationRep:
    Some random Q:

-Define disease

-What's the biochemical test for a lipid?

- What is the role of the nucleus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Some random Q:

-Define disease

Define disease?!? omg panic panic, i don't know how to define it? When a pathogen invades and causes harm?

Add ethanol, shake it, water? Cloudy-white?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Some random Q:

-Define disease

Disease is something causes negative change in the general well being of a person?
    Emulsion test
    Contains DNA which have genes which codes for proteins. Nuclelus has an envelope that acts as a membrane.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said active transport. Because the water needs to be in the leaf so there is a high concentration. Might differ between boards.
    Don't think sucrose transport in plants are in AQA not sure cos I hate phloem and xylems.
    Do you mean ions move in by active transport? I'm pretty sure water moves in by osmosis.
    Meh hate OCR, should have done AQA.

ReputationRep:

And what about Sucrose?
    It moves from roothair cell, to xylem by osmosis. Up the xylem by cohesion-tension, cappilarity or root pressure. NOT active transport - that requires ATP, and the xylem is made from dead cells.

--

Anyway this is AQA unit 1, not OCR unit 2.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean ions move in by active transport? I'm pretty sure water moves in by osmosis.
    Meh hate OCR, should have done AQA.
    I'm not that good at transpiration but I think there is a higher concentration of water in the leaves. That's where the water is going so why would it be low concentration since it has to end up there.

ReputationRep:
    describe how cholera is transmitted and how it causes disease. use your knowledge of water potential in your answer (5 marks)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.