Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    Oh no I meant 4.c.iii) and 5.b) too not the ones I mentioned lol. I know how to do those. :p:
    For 4Ciii, the question asks, starting with glucose + fructose, so you know that when those two combine there will be one h2o molecule released (makes sucrose).
    Then it says R, where a fatty acid is attached to a lipid, we know that when glycerol+3fatty acids attach, condensation occurs, and a h2o molecule is released. So you've just gotta know that when two of those combine, h20 comes out. There are 8 Rs + 1 h2o from glucose + fructose = 9.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I meant 4.c.iii) and 5.b) too not the ones I mentioned lol. I know how to do those. :p:
    Whilst we wait for help, can you please explain 3d ii to me? Looked at MS but still confuses me :P Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I HOPE THERE IS NOTHING ON CHOLERA/ SODIUM POTASSIUM PUMP!!! I will actually get 0 on an applied Cholera question :L oh, I hope there are not as many mathsy questions...I always mess up somewhere :/
    I hope there is lots on immunity though

ReputationRep:
    The January 2011 paper was actually awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    It's 9. Look at the diagram above, count how many R groups there are 8, and plus the X bond. 9

--

20cm3 = 1 mol

So

4cm3 = 0.2 mol (divide it by 5)

As there is 4cm3 of NaCl, there must be 16cm3 of water, to make it up ot 20 cm3.
    :eek: You're awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaah since alot of you are thinking immunity will come up tomorrow, im gonna go revise that section in detail again now. Then i think i'll do the final practice paper that i havnt done yet....

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh can someone please explain how you convert UM measurements into MM? i really dont get that atall. xD I always get it wrong. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tericon)
    Whilst we wait for help, can you please explain 3d ii to me? Looked at MS but still confuses me :P Thanks
    This one is quite simple. You know that the equation is:

Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate

They told us that the guy's heart rate became lower but the cardiac output is still the same. This means that his stroke volume must've gone up to still get the same cardiac output, so this means more blood is pumped out of the heart per heartbeat. And the reason it pumps more blood could be due to an increase in the strength of the heart muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Ooooh can someone please explain how you convert UM measurements into MM? i really dont get that atall. xD I always get it wrong. :/
    essentially, 1mm=1x10^3 um and 1mm=1x10^6 nm

So you would measure it in mm and then do either x10^3 or x10^6 of it depending if it asks for um or nm
    and divide by the magnification.
    Simples

ReputationRep:
    Why are controls used in experiments??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    essentially, 1mm=1x10^3 um and 1mm=1x10^6 nm

So you would measure it in mm and then do either x10^3 or x10^6 of it depending if it asks for um or nm
    and divide by the magnification.
    Simples
    Thank you so much! <3 You just explained it better then the textbook hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    Why are controls used in experiments??
    To prove that the effect is due to the addition of something e.g. a chemical e.g. in an enzyme experiment the control is almost always boiled enzyme to show that the change is always due to the enzyme and nothing else.

In terms of a control group you would always use a placebo and keep everything else the same

You must make sure you say both those things to get both the marks

ReputationRep:
    This one is quite simple. You know that the equation is:

Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate

They told us that the guy's heart rate became lower but the cardiac output is still the same. This means that his stroke volume must've gone up to still get the same cardiac output, so this means more blood is pumped out of the heart per heartbeat. And the reason it pumps more blood could be due to an increase in the strength of the heart muscle.
    Thank you, makes perfect sense now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    It's 9. Look at the diagram above, count how many R groups there are 8, and plus the X bond. 9

--

20cm3 = 1 mol

So

4cm3 = 0.2 mol (divide it by 5)

As there is 4cm3 of NaCl, there must be 16cm3 of water, to make it up ot 20 cm3.

Cheers, that mol stuff was really confusing me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    To prove that the effect is due to the addition of something e.g. a chemical e.g. in an enzyme experiment the control is almost always boiled enzyme to show that the change is always due to the enzyme and nothing else.

In terms of a control group you would always use a placebo and keep everything else the same

You must make sure you say both those things to get both the marks
    Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You're awesome!

(Original post by A_clizzy)
    Cheers, that mol stuff was really confusing me
    It's okay

ReputationRep:
    Is facilitated diffusion; Movement of water soluble molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration with use of proteins? No ATP required..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    Is facilitated diffusion; Movement of water soluble molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration with use of proteins? No ATP required..?
    Lol edit: I read your post wrong. Yeah it is with the use of specific shaped channel proteins.

ReputationRep:
    What if they ask us about the role in temperature and ph and substrate concentration as the 5markers? you never know...

ReputationRep:
    enzymes are always the most easy part of bio unit 1 and considering most of that was asked in the EMPA Paper i dont think it will. OFC there will be at least 1 enzyme question but it will prolly be on inhibitors.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.