Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    PREDICTIONS:

Digestive system.
    How pathogens cause disease?
    Benedicts test/protein test/lipids test
    Tertiary structure etc, example such as why sucrase cant break down lactose? or something..
    Effect of PH, temp?
    Cell fractionation
    Mitochondria and why there' s a lot of it..
    Osmosis, facil. diff and simple. and Active transport.
    How cholera causes disease
    Breathing mechanism.
    Asthma and P.Fibrosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    enzymes are always the most easy part of bio unit 1 and considering most of that was asked in the EMPA Paper i dont think it will. OFC there will be at least 1 enzyme question but it will prolly be on inhibitors.
    ooh did you do the empa too?
    I think i kinda flopped the empa badly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    Is facilitated diffusion; Movement of water soluble molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration with use of proteins? No ATP required..?
    Isnt there 2 types of facilliated diffusuion?
    1) Protein channel filled with water that allows water soluble molecules across. Only opens in presence of certain specific molecules.

2) Carrier protein that binds to the specific molecule. Causes it to change shape and release the molecule on the other side. ATP not required for either. Feel free to correct me if im wrong!

Also, do we need to know what capsules and plasmids are used for? I cant get my head round them!

Plus, if a difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells q's come's up all im gonna say is that:

Eukaryotic has 80s ribosomes, a nucleus with a nuclear envelope and ER with associated golgi and lysosomes

Prokaryotic has 70s ribosome, no true nucleus, only a diffuse area of circular DNA and no ER with associated golgi and lysosomes

Is that enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    ooh did you do the empa too?
    I think i kinda flopped the empa badly..
    I thought it was a bit easier than previous empa papers. I guess most of it is technique and getting your head round the weird way they ask questions..
    But its only 60 ums. Just ace the other 2 and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a bit easier than previous empa papers. I guess most of it is technique and getting your head round the weird way they ask questions..
    But its only 60 ums. Just ace the other 2 and you should be fine
    Task 1 and 2 were fine, just a COUPLE of task 3 questions I think i lost.. but oh well, what happens, happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)

Also, do we need to know what capsules and plasmids are used for? I cant get my head round them!

Plus, if a difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells q's come's up all im gonna say is that:

Eukaryotic has 80s ribosomes, a nucleus with a nuclear envelope and ER with associated golgi and lysosomes

Prokaryotic has 70s ribosome, no true nucleus, only a diffuse area of circular DNA and no ER with associated golgi and lysosomes

Is that enough?
    Capsules are just slime layers. I think plasmids are more unit 2
    For the prokary vs eukary its best to say

Prokary have : Cell wall made of peptido glycan, No memebrane bound organelles and no membrane bound nucleus(cirucalr dna)

and eukarys have: Memebrane bound nucleus present, 80s ribosomes, memebrane bound organelles e.g. mitchondria present77

Which is essentially exactly what you said :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy)
    I'm feeling I actually need to start doing some unit 1 revision. Need to do a lot better in this resit but I can't get unit 2 out of my head!
    This!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    PREDICTIONS:

Digestive system.
    How pathogens cause disease?
    Benedicts test/protein test/lipids test
    Tertiary structure etc, example such as why sucrase cant break down lactose? or something..
    Effect of PH, temp?
    Cell fractionation
    Mitochondria and why there' s a lot of it..
    Osmosis, facil. diff and simple. and Active transport.
    How cholera causes disease
    Breathing mechanism.
    Asthma and P.Fibrosis.
    if this comes up = over the moon

ReputationRep:
    Someone Please explain how to do question 1bii part 1 on ph 71 of NElson thornes book thanks

ReputationRep:
    ^**** page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    Someone Please explain how to do question 1bii part 1 on ph 71 of NElson thornes book thanks
    Well the graph shows the ratio of initial and final length against conc.
    When the ratio is 1.0 this means that the water potential outside the cell is exactly the same as the water potential inside the cell. Thus any point after 0.3moldm^-3 will mean the water potential inside the cell is larger than the outside and so the cell must be turgid. And the answer to 2 is 0.3 as I have explained above.

ReputationRep:
    hi, does any one have a good way of answering the question about does, for example, smoking cause CHD? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwin_94)
    hi, does any one have a good way of answering the question about does, for example, smoking cause CHD? thanks
    Generally one of those kids of questions will be with a set of data and will ask the scientists concluded that smoking more=more chd or something to that effect and you will have to evaluate this conclusion.

Generally you would say no they cannot conclude that it causes CHD and actually although there is a correlation this may not mean that smoking causes CHD and another factor may be involved.

In terms of actual biology. Smoking causes carboxyhaemoglobin to form and thus less oxygen is pumped around the body. this means that the heart will have to pump fast adn therefore your blood pressure will increase. Also less oxygen in the blood means less oxygen for heart muscles so they respire less and therefore there is mroe chance that they will die and lead to a mycardial infarction

ReputationRep:
    Generally one of those kids of questions will be with a set of data and will ask the scientists concluded that smoking more=more chd or something to that effect and you will have to evaluate this conclusion.

Generally you would say no they cannot conclude that it causes CHD and actually although there is a correlation this may not mean that smoking causes CHD and another factor may be involved.

In terms of actual biology. Smoking causes carboxyhaemoglobin to form and thus less oxygen is pumped around the body. this means that the heart will have to pump fast adn therefore your blood pressure will increase. Also less oxygen in the blood means less oxygen for heart muscles so they respire less and therefore there is mroe chance that they will die and lead to a mycardial infarction
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:

(Original post by baldwin_94)
    Mind if i add?
    Nicotine: Makes the red blood cells 'sticky'. This increases the chances of Thrombosis. Also increases the production of Adrenaline, which raises blood pressure and heart rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Mind if i add?
    Nicotine: Makes the red blood cells 'sticky'. This increases the chances of Thrombosis. Also increases the production of Adrenaline, which raises blood pressure and heart rate.
    Oh yeah forgot that.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain turberculosis, in a way we would need to answer it in the exam, if asked.

Also, with the Cardiac Cycle, would we need to mention the Conduction Cycle with it?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain cholera, how it works and a five mark answer? I will be forever grateful! I just dont get what the NT book is saying!

ReputationRep:
    Hope you all do well!!!!
    Make sure you do the jan 11 past paper and go over it!!!
    Revise the hsw questions aswell from the textbook!!!
    Sleep early tonight at about 10pm + WAKE UP early AT ABOUT 6:30 am!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhaiikim)
    Can someone explain turberculosis, in a way we would need to answer it in the exam, if asked.

Also, with the Cardiac Cycle, would we need to mention the Conduction Cycle with it?
    Points to make for TB

1) Transmitted in droplets/ aerosol
    2) engulfed/ ingested by phagocytes/ macrophages
    3) bacteria encased in wall/ nodule/ tubercle
    4) Bacteria are dormant
    5) If immunosupressed bacteria activate/ released
    6) bacteria destroy alveoli
    7) leads to fibrosis
    8) which leads to increase in diffusion distance/ less diffusion
    9) Activation leads to bacteria entering blood and spreading to other organs

You wone need all the points!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.