Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    Thank you i seem to understand that now

really worried about tomorrow it feels like i'm forgetting stuff !!!!

STRESSED !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    For a Non-reducing sugar test... Do you carry out benedicts test normally to prove that it isnt a reducing sugar and THEN add dilute HCl and Sodium hydrogen carbonate to break into monosaccharides?

Also do you boil or just heat?
    The former is correct but it is done with a NEW sample.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Daft Q but will we get penalised if we spell diarrhoea wrong?
    as long as it similar to how its meant to be spelt, no you won't be penalised.

ReputationRep:
    For a Non-reducing sugar test... Do you carry out benedicts test normally to prove that it isnt a reducing sugar and THEN add dilute HCl and Sodium hydrogen carbonate to break into monosaccharides?

Also do you boil or just heat?
    No you boil the test solution with dilute hydrochloric icid and then neautralise it with sodium hydrogencarbonate. And then just carry our the benedicts test as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    hat book do you use? I use the Nelson thornes one. AQA are supposed to endorse it!
    Wtf is endorsement? That book has a few mistakes including where it says Internal intercostal muscles are used for inhaling

I use steve potter books, chief examiner and that :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Wtf is endorsement? That book has a few mistakes including where it says Internal intercostal muscles are used for inhaling

WAIT!!! WTF??? What muscles are used for inhaling if not the internal intercostal?
    Can someone please explain what muscles are used?

Inhalation/Inspiration : External intercostal muscles contract, diaphram flattens. Increased vol = decreased pressure and air comes in. Active process requires energy.

Exhalation/ Exspiration : Intercostal muscles and diaphram relax. Diaphram returns to dome shape. Decreased vol = Increase pressure and air leaves. Passive process and Internal intercostal muscles only used during excersize.

IS THIS CORRECT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    Well the graph shows the ratio of initial and final length against conc.
    When the ratio is 1.0 this means that the water potential outside the cell is exactly the same as the water potential inside the cell. Thus any point after 0.3moldm^-3 will mean the water potential inside the cell is larger than the outside and so the cell must be turgid. And the answer to 2 is 0.3 as I have explained above.
    That is exactly what I thought but the answer is "anywhere to the left of 0.3M" ???? I thought it would be to the right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)

omfg there's more than one textbook? :l
    wish i knew that before :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundlikehouse)
    No you boil the test solution with dilute hydrochloric icid and then neautralise it with sodium hydrogencarbonate. And then just carry our the benedicts test as normal.
    Thanks, but do you boil when you carry out the benedicts test or just heat? CGP says heat, Teacher said boil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoaaK)
    omfg there's more than one textbook? :l
    wish i knew that before :l
    There are smaller collins biology books made per unit. they are nothing special, the nelson ones are pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    That is exactly what I thought but the answer is "anywhere to the left of 0.3M" ???? I thought it would be to the right?
    Hmm maybe there is an error or I am missing something..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but do you boil when you carry out the benedicts test or just heat? CGP says heat, Teacher said boil
    Gently boiling water? That's what NT says lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    boiling water bath is fine for answer

ReputationRep:
    Discuss the ethical issues regarding the formation and testing a new drug for example ORS

ReputationRep:
    Well they both seem to have boil in the answer lol

ReputationRep:
    They are trialled on children and the children don't get a choice as parents decide, but has to be trialled on children as the disease mainly affects children. Also blind trialled in clinics, patients have the right to know and may cause harm... etc..

ReputationRep:
    Well they both seem to have boil in the answer lol
    Lol you can stick heat in as well... Heat the sample gently in boiling water. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    There are smaller collins biology books made per unit. they are nothing special, the nelson ones are pro.
    I'm not talking about those ones.

And, the NT books are fine but they can miss things out sometimes. Using them shouldn't be a problem tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Lol you can stick heat in as well... Heat the sample gently in boiling water. :p:
    Well we have an answer then xD

ReputationRep:
    I have a really bad feeling that the last two 5 markers are gonna be on transmission and effect of cholera and then ORT and how it works :s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.