Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    ORT and how it works :s
    ors increase the uptake of na+ ions/glucose/sugars into the epithelial cells
    this then creates a more negatvie water potential in the epithelial cells and thus water moves in the epithelial cells via osmosis from the lumen thus reducing the effects of diarrhoea

ReputationRep:
    WAIT!!! WTF??? What muscles are used for inhaling if not the internal intercostal?
    Can someone please explain what muscles are used?

Inhalation/Inspiration : External intercostal muscles contract, diaphram flattens. Increased vol = decreased pressure and air comes in. Active process requires energy.

Exhalation/ Exspiration : Intercostal muscles and diaphram relax. Diaphram returns to dome shape. Decreased vol = Increase pressure and air leaves. Passive process and Internal intercostal muscles only used during excersize.

IS THIS CORRECT?
    That seems right.

ReputationRep:
    WAIT!!! WTF??? What muscles are used for inhaling if not the internal intercostal?
    Can someone please explain what muscles are used?

Inhalation/Inspiration : External intercostal muscles contract, diaphram flattens. Increased vol = decreased pressure and air comes in. Active process requires energy.

Exhalation/ Exspiration : Intercostal muscles and diaphram relax. Diaphram returns to dome shape. Decreased vol = Increase pressure and air leaves. Passive process and Internal intercostal muscles only used during excersize.

IS THIS CORRECT?

Yes thats correct. External is used for inhalation, internal for exhalation. ;D

ReputationRep:
    I have a really bad feeling that the last two 5 markers are gonna be on transmission and effect of cholera and then ORT and how it works :s
    The transmission and effect of cholera are actually really easy to understand.
    1) Cholera enters small intestine lumen by drinking contaminated water
    2) Produces toxin which open chloride ion protein channels in epithelial cells
    3) Chloride ions build up in lumen, Water potential decreases
    4) Water moves into the lumen, By osmosis. = Diarrhoea

And ors just basically changes water potential back and has reverse effect

ReputationRep:
    I have a really bad feeling that the last two 5 markers are gonna be on transmission and effect of cholera and then ORT and how it works :s
    I would love if cholera came up as the 5marker

ReputationRep:
    ive been revising too much bio for one day -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    I would love if cholera came up as the 5marker
    Same ^^

ReputationRep:
    So what time are you all revising till tonight? I dont know what time is 'too late'...

ReputationRep:
    Btw, Jan11 had Emphysema do you think they will have it again this year as a 5 marker?

ReputationRep:
    8 Been reading since 11, With regular breaks. Gotta get a nice sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    So what time are you all revising till tonight? I dont know what time is 'too late'...
    The earlier you sleep the better. cause it will take a lot of energy to figure out their style of questionning and so i reckon ~10 is fine any earlier if you think you are ready. Casue if you get up early you can go over it all one last time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    It's better to get a good nights sleep and wake up early about 6ish to just go over the notes and skim read the mark schemes and past papers. Go to sleep about 10ish. That's what I'm doing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    Btw, Jan11 had Emphysema do you think they will have it again this year as a 5 marker?
    Probably not. But there is still a very small chance of it being there so better to make sure than be sorry you never revised it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    doubtfulllll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsJustTooBad)
    ****ting my pants. I got a C in january but need an A for the course I want to do in the summer. Does anyone else think Jan11 was just a really hard paper?

My prediction for the last two questions (I guessed right for Jan11 question) is that they will be on either 'Transport in the cell'- so like diffusion, co-transporters etc.
    Or... I think it will be on the cardiac cycle- that awful diagram of pressure and volume in different parts of the heart.

Good Luck people!
    Yeah, I'm in the same position. Got a C in Jan11 NEED a A. Hopefully all goes well revised my ass off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsJustTooBad)
    ****ting my pants. I got a C in january but need an A for the course I want to do in the summer. Does anyone else think Jan11 was just a really hard paper?

My prediction for the last two questions (I guessed right for Jan11 question) is that they will be on either 'Transport in the cell'- so like diffusion, co-transporters etc.
    Or... I think it will be on the cardiac cycle- that awful diagram of pressure and volume in different parts of the heart.

Good Luck people!
    the cardiac cycle is hard :l but i'm sure the heart and some kind of immune system will be a 5 marker.

incase they make us label when valves open and close just remember it goes, av closes, sv opens, sv closes, av opens

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know how to do question 4a on January 2009 paper?

ReputationRep:
    Ive never seen fibrosis or asthma as a 5 marker in any of the past papers I've done.. Im guessing they might have it this time

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me out with what happens when

a) A pathogen produces toxins in the humour of the body. (5) <--- humoural response
    b) A virus takes over a host cell. (5) <--- Cell mediated response

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Im in Yr 13 resitting this, so i did the Jan 10 paper. Personally i think that was a really hard paper haaha. xD But i got a C. Ill be happy with a B, but im praying for an A. xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.