Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaperguy)
    What is a vaccine?
    Weakened form of pathgoen, Stimulates production of Memory cells. Shows no symptoms

ReputationRep:
    who is slightly worried about tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Maybe.. but it says only digestive system in limited detail on the spec. If it was I think it'd be about the membrane in the small intestine?
    yeaaah sorry i meant it's membrane

and maybe structure of the lungs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    That's the book I use, it's good for some stuff, like it mentioned the tubercles in the 5 marker in Jan 11 where people seem to be saying the other didn't. However, it misses out courtship behaviour for unit 2 completely!
    Noticed that, I got the NT one aswell (from school) so I'm all set

ReputationRep:
    How are phagocytes and lysosomes involved in non specific defence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    Pulmonary fibrosis is because of the scarring on the tissue. This scarring reduces the surface area to volume ratio of the lungs, therefore gas exchange is less effiecient. The scarring also mean there is a longer diffusion pathway for the oxygen, therefore the oxygen takes longer to diffuse around the lungs. Asthma, is caused by allergens e.g. pollen that stimulate the white blood cells to produce histamine. The histamine makes the epithelial cells to produce more mucus that normal, and the bronchioles become inflammed. This again increases the surface area : volume ratio, so the oxygen takes longer to diffuse. What else? What would i have got as a mark?
    5 im guessing lol. Its very detailed

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain ORS to me?

ReputationRep:
    What is a vaccine?
    A vaccine contains either an attenuated (dead or inactive pathogen) or the antigens on a pathogen which can be taken orally or injected. They are used to boost the immune system by producing memory cells so when an pathogen enters the body it can be dealt with quicker so no symptons show.

Can somebody find a picture of the cardiac cycle with the graph of volume and pressure and are hepactic portal veins unit 1 or 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoaaK)
    small intestine adapted for absorption?
    I hope to God it's the mechanism of breathing, it's the easiest! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoaaK)
    yeaaah sorry i meant it's membrane

and maybe structure of the lungs?
    Yupp what would you write? About like trachea -> bronchi -> bronchioles -> alevoli?

ReputationRep:
    im so worried about this exam! i feel like ive revised as hard as i can, but still going to fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo287)
    ors increase the uptake of na+ ions/glucose/sugars into the epithelial cells
    this then creates a more negatvie water potential in the epithelial cells and thus water moves in the epithelial cells via osmosis from the lumen thus reducing the effects of diarrhoea

ReputationRep:
    How are phagocytes and lysosomes involved in non specific defence?
    During phagocytosis, when a pathogen enters the body, the phagocyte engulfs the pathogen in a phagosome, and displays its antigens on its own surface. The lysosomes digest the pathogen, destroying it?

ReputationRep:
    1)(Phagocytosis) engulf
    2)stored in phagosome
    3) lysosomes fuse with these phagosomes and release digestive enzymes
    4)Antigens presented on surface of phagocytes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    5 im guessing lol. Its very detailed
    yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo287)
    ORS= oral rehydration solution. It is used when somebody has severe diarrhea. The diarrhea causes water loss because there is too much water in the lumen which produces water faeces. Other minerals are also lost. The ORS consists of Na ions, water and glucose and other ions. This is absorbed into body cells lowering the water potential of the cell so water enters the cell and leaves the lumen.

ReputationRep:
    Going to do all the past papers left and make notes on my finding and exam technique ie key words they look for in each topic. Then im going to sleep, i need to be fresh and alert for this exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_clizzy)
    who is slightly worried about tomorrow?
    A bit but mostly worried about unit 2. It's so much harder than unit 1 :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    During phagocytosis, when a pathogen enters the body, the phagocyte engulfs the pathogen in a phagosome, and displays its antigens on its own surface. The lysosomes digest the pathogen, destroying it?
    The lysosomes can recycle the material of the pathogen and egests the waste products.

ReputationRep:
    just wanna say Goodluck to everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.