Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Humoural is the B-cells. They are stimulated by cytokines from the phagocytes and by T-helper cells. The B cells divide by into B plasma and B memory cells. The B plasma cells produce antibodies to bind to antigens. This means that the pathogen will clump together do cannot enter cells and will be injested by WBC.

Cell mediated is the T cells and phagoctyes. The phagocytse engulf the pathogen by surrounding it in it's cell membrance before injestingn it into the vascule. It is broken down by lysosomes into useful products and presents it's antigen on the WBC. Waste products are egested. T cells divide into T killer, T helper, T memory and T suppressors. The T killers destroy the cells in which a pathogen resides in. The suppressors make them stop when the cells are all destroyed. T helper stimulate the B memory and the T memory cells remember the shape of the antigens of the pathogen.

Cell membrance is a fluid mosaic bi-layer. It has scattered proteins and cholersterol so is scattered. It is fluid as the phospholipids constantly move. Bi layer as two layers. Thw phospholipds consists of phosphate head, hydrophillic and the fatty acid tails, hydrophobic. If water gets to the fatty acid tails, the layer flips.
    Thanks a lot buddy that will really help with my revision. Wouldnt you have to talk about the whole fluid mosaic model for the 3rd question. The proteins and their functions (carrier, intrinsic, extrinsic, glycoproteins)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubilee~)
    thanks for the last answer, i would've started waffling on about nucleus, organelle etc.
    ALWAYS have a problem of going too fast and not reading properly :|
    Yeah I got the same problem. Waffle about the wrong topic. Like in my chemistry empa I put barium water instead of bromine water cos I cannot read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasira372)
    Thanks a lot buddy that will really help with my revision. Wouldnt you have to talk about the whole fluid mosaic model for the 3rd question. The proteins and their functions (carrier, intrinsic, extrinsic, glycoproteins)
    Only 5 marks. Not worth it. In the exam you have to time yourself.
    Carrier proteins carry ions and large molecules across. Intrinsic are in extrinsic are out?. Glycoproteins are receptors.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised answering all your questions will make the grade boundries increase making it harder for me
    Oh well I'm nice and there ain't many people here so shhh
    Lol. I don't think more than 20 people will read your comment and the amount of people taking AQA is higher than the number of total people registered on TSR so I dont think the grade boundries will change that much

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I don't think more than 20 people will read your comment and the amount of people taking AQA is higher than the number of total people registered on TSR so I dont think the grade boundries will change that much
    Hopefully somebody who does chemistry here can help me back

ReputationRep:
    Thought you guys may appreciate this little giggle diarrhoea is hereditary ... It runs in your jeans sorry had to ! good luck revising xxxx

ReputationRep:
    anybody care to tell me how to calculate percentage decrease :///

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    Thought you guys may appreciate this little giggle diarrhoea is hereditary ... It runs in your jeans sorry had to ! good luck revising xxxx
    CGP... Lol

new value-old value divided by old value times 100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    Somebodys been reading there CGP revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    Carrier proteins carry ions and large molecules across. Intrinsic are in extrinsic are out?. Glycoproteins are receptors.
    Phospolipid-Made of hydrophillic head and 2 hydrophobic tails. It stops large molecules, ions and water soluble molecules entering. They form a bilayer

Intrinsic protein-Pass through the whole membrane
    Extrinsic protein-embedded partially or on the edge of the membrane

Carrier proteins-Let large molecules, ions pass and water soluble molecules through via facillitated diffusion

Glycoproteins to act as receptors

Anything i've missed out

ReputationRep:
    Intrinsic proteins span the whole phospholipid bi-layer while extrinsic are only on one layer.

ReputationRep:
    Astma, fibrosis, TB emphysema and probably more. Oh Lung Cancer.

1.06 but if the question requires more working out after use the 1.05643 in the calulator.
    tht came in jan 2011....doubt it really. if it does :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Phospolipid-Made of hydrophillic head and 2 hydrophobic tails. It stops large molecules, ions and water soluble molecules entering. They form a bilayer

Intrinsic protein-Pass through the whole membrane
    Extrinsic protein-embedded partially or on the edge of the membrane

Carrier proteins-Let large molecules, ions pass and water soluble molecules through via facillitated diffusion

Glycoproteins to act as receptors

Anything i've missed out
    Not that I can think off.
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Intrinsic proteins span the whole phospholipid bi-layer while extrinsic are only on one layer.
    Seems so obvious now. Can picture the CGP image again with all the different colors.

ReputationRep:
    CGP... Lol

new value-old value divided by old value times 100.

thanks ^ how does it differ from percentage increase then :/
    i mean thats difference/original x1000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    tht came in jan 2011....doubt it really. if it does :eek:
    Lazy chief examiners could appear.

ReputationRep:
    Eg. 2.5cm to 1cm

difference
    divide it by original

1.5/2.5 * 100 = 60% decrease

ReputationRep:
    So does anyone want to write a summary of what is likely to come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    I am soo stressed about this exam maybe because its my first one this exam period but none of my notes are going in.. what is the general grade boundary for an A?

ReputationRep:
    thanks ^ how does it differ from percentage increase then :/
    i mean thats difference/original x1000
    Eg I have 100cm³ of water. I drink some and have 90cm³ left.

90-100/100*100 =-10

ReputationRep:
    Eg. 2.5cm to 1cm

difference
    divide it by original

1.5/2.5 * 100 = 60% decrease
    thankyou

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.