Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    eeeeeek so nervous i might faint..

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'll be off now, I'm just gonna keep reading over my notes, get my stuff ready and then go to bed. Thanks for all the help everyone! Good luck with it tomorrow, don't go to bed too late! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tericon)
    :giggle: Really wish i had some rep left

Grade boundaries are usually lower with this exam at this time? Because its usually a resit? Thats what i heard...
    Pirates reminded me off scurvy but then I thought their water is probably contaminated so yeah diarrhoea. I reckon it will be in the 40's! But anyway I hope we can do better than that!

(Original post by EffKayy)
    eeeeeek so nervous i might faint..
    Same here! Breathe...

-----

I really hope I don't forget anything! That'd be disastrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sighrawr)
    Can someone please explain the cardiac cycle to me? :\
    The sino-atrial node (SAN) is the pacemaker of the heart
    It initiates an electrical impulse across the atria causing them to contract
    The atrioventricular node (AVN) delays its impulse to allow the atria to empty before the ventricles contract
    Then the AVN sends an impulse down the Bundle of His and then into the Purkinje Fibres in the wall of the ventricles, causing the ventricles to contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    I can do C1 it's just that organic stuff! AQA?

I got 76% on the one I tried.

Oh 5 AS you must help me in chem
    41/60 is about 67% maybe 68%

Yup. The ones I saw were ranging between high 30s and mid 40s.
    Yeah AQA. Which part are you finding most difficult, the naming of molecules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    Pirates. Maybe they'll get diarrhoea.
    Pirates are done. Now for revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasira372)
    Yeah AQA. Which part are you finding most difficult, the naming of molecules?
    Naming is easy. It's the reactions! D:

ReputationRep:
    Average for 100 UMS is around 50/60 average over the last 5 exams. I hope that only the people on TSR pass and the rest fail so the grade boundries are really low. Very spiteful I know

ReputationRep:
    Naming is easy. It's the reactions! D:
    Reactions.....Unit 2?

Cause I cant remember any reactions for unit 1.

ReputationRep:
    Average for 100 UMS is around 50/60 average over the last 5 exams. I hope that only the people on TSR pass and the rest fail so the grade boundries are really low. Very spiteful I know
    Aren't you nice. Mainly cos I am on TSR so screw the rest
    Reactions.....Unit 2?

Cause I cant remember any reactions for unit 1.
    Yeah unit 2. I suck at unit 2 reactions. D:

ReputationRep:
    a)Explain what happens during your Humoral response. 5 marks

b)Explain what happens during your Cell mediated response. 5 Marks

c)Explain the structure of the cell membrane. 5 Marks

If anyone wants to answer these questions for practice, please quote me first as I am struggling. I have a strong feeling 1 of these might come
    a) The humoural response occurs within the bodily fluids and involves B-cells. Upon encountering the pathogen the B-cells present the pathogen's antigens so that the T helper cells can activate B-cells to divide into plasma cells. Plasma cells produce antibodies that have complementary shapes to the antigens so they can be attached to the antigens and destroy the pathogen. B-cells also divide into memory cells which can then divide quickly into plasma cells when the same pathogen is encountered again.

b) T lymphocytes will only react to the body's own cells with the pathogen's antigens. Receptors on T helper cells will bind to the antigen and activates the T-cell to divide into memory cells which can provide a faster immune response to the same pathogen in the future. The T-cells also kill infected cells directly, or stimulates phagocytes to engulf the pathogen. The T-helper cells will activate the B-cells to divide.

c) The cell membrane is made up mostly of phospholipid bilayer which contain a hydrophilic phosphate head and two hydrophobic fatty acid tails that makes it difficult for water soluble molecules like glucose to enter the cell. The more unsaturated fatty acids there are in the bilayer, the more fluid the membrane. Intrinsic proteins can be found throughout the bilayer and they can act as protein channels or carriers to transport water soluble molecules. Extrinsic proteins and glycoproteins bind together to act as receptors for the cell.

Not sure if they are right, or whether they will get all 5 marks :P could someone point out what else I need to add in order to get full marks? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do u think we have to know how lymphocytes recognise their own cells ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal*nature)
    Do u think we have to know how lymphocytes recognise their own cells ?
    They got their own receptors.

ReputationRep:
    :') hahaaa same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    a) The humoural response occurs within the bodily fluids and involves B-cells. Upon encountering the pathogen the B-cells present the pathogen's antigens so that the T helper cells can activate B-cells to divide into plasma cells. Plasma cells produce antibodies that have complementary shapes to the antigens so they can be attached to the antigens and destroy the pathogen. B-cells also divide into memory cells which can then divide quickly into plasma cells when the same pathogen is encountered again.

b) T lymphocytes will only react to the body's own cells with the pathogen's antigens. Receptors on T helper cells will bind to the antigen and activates the T-cell to divide into memory cells which can provide a faster immune response to the same pathogen in the future. The T-cells also kill infected cells directly, or stimulates phagocytes to engulf the pathogen. The T-helper cells will activate the B-cells to divide.

c) The cell membrane is made up mostly of phospholipid bilayer which contain a hydrophilic phosphate head and two hydrophobic fatty acid tails that makes it difficult for water soluble molecules like glucose to enter the cell. The more unsaturated fatty acids there are in the bilayer, the more fluid the membrane. Intrinsic proteins can be found throughout the bilayer and they can act as protein channels or carriers to transport water soluble molecules. Extrinsic proteins and glycoproteins bind together to act as receptors for the cell.

Not sure if they are right, or whether they will get all 5 marks :P could someone point out what else I need to add in order to get full marks? Thanks
    Looks fine.

I put this
    Spoiler:
    Show

Humoural is the B-cells. They are stimulated by cytokines from the phagocytes and by T-helper cells. The B cells divide by into B plasma and B memory cells. The B plasma cells produce antibodies to bind to antigens. This means that the pathogen will clump together do cannot enter cells and will be injested by WBC.

Cell mediated is the T cells and phagoctyes. The phagocytse engulf the pathogen by surrounding it in it's cell membrance before injestingn it into the vascule. It is broken down by lysosomes into useful products and presents it's antigen on the WBC. Waste products are egested. T cells divide into T killer, T helper, T memory and T suppressors. The T killers destroy the cells in which a pathogen resides in. The suppressors make them stop when the cells are all destroyed. T helper stimulate the B memory and the T memory cells remember the shape of the antigens of the pathogen.

Cell membrance is a fluid mosaic bi-layer. It has scattered proteins and cholersterol so is scattered. It is fluid as the phospholipids constantly move. Bi layer as two layers. Thw phospholipds consists of phosphate head, hydrophillic and the fatty acid tails, hydrophobic. If water gets to the fatty acid tails, the layer flips.

Seems about right

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you nice. Mainly cos I am on TSR so screw the rest

Yeah unit 2. I suck at unit 2 reactions. D:
    I was going to say I hope everyone does well but I knew Id have loads of negs so instead I wrote everyone on TSR

Everyone here is clever though so Im sure you all will do well

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it's slowed down. I'll probably be off. Need more than 6 hours sleep.
    Good luck all.

ReputationRep:
    yeh good luck everyone!! im online from 5Am for some more revision...
    i'll be on Tsr if anybody else will be up at that time

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all! I'm off to bed. Remember, you worked hard for this exam, so just go and smash it!

Night.

ReputationRep:
    Write an article for your school magazine in which you argue that schools should spend more money on...

A room for leisure.

It is a known fact that an area, such as our school would be more appealing to our students, if there was a personal attraction. As most of you may be aware, our school has below national average attendance rates by a jaw dropping 37%. When a survey was carried out questioning your fellow peers why they chose not to attend many sited that there was simply “nothing to do” and that they found coming to school “boring”. So surely something must be done, so that the betrayed students have something “to do”?

Not only should schools create an optimum educational environment; they should also create a fabulous, fun and friendly social environment. So by creating a room for leisure they will successfully achieve this.

However some believe that by creating a room for leisure, schools would be seen as nothing but a social hub. However this is not the case, as a study carried out at Chester university showed that by providing students a chance to fully “recharge their batteries” in between lessons, increases their concentration by a staggering 27%! Hence increasing the marks obtained in their exams by an earth shattering 64%.Which would in turn favour the school as our students results would outshine that of others around the country.

Furthermore, Professor Full marks asserts that giving students motivation will make them work harder as they will want to do well. Creating a room for leisure will fulfil this as providing a room with top of the range gadgets and gizmos will motivate the students, because it’ll show the students what money can buy. Thus making them want to work harder at school, so they’ll have the money in the future to buy whatever the wish to.

In stark contrast however people believe that spending money on a room for leisure is like “throwing money down the drain”. But surely a schools purpose is to educate its pupils and help them perform to the best of their ability. So if a room for leisure can significantly benefit the students then it’s worth every penny.

On the whole, the benefits of providing our students with a room for leisure, dramatically outweighs the minor negatives. As our student’s attendance, performance and even motivation will take a turn for the better.

please can someone mark this out of 27 its for my english gcse tomorrow

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.