Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    I wrote:

-Correlation doesn't mean causation
    -other factor maybe involved such as amount of exercise
    -there was a large amount of scatter around the line so eating a lot of fat, doesn't necessarily mean you will die of breast cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    Correlation doesn't equate to causation, other factors could have cause breast cancer..
    Yeah I put:

-Positive corrleation (there was a mark for this in Jan 11 but for negative)
    -Can't say cause/effect
    -Other factors such as smoking and excercise
    -Different countries - diff medicines/cures to treat breast cancer, so may not die depending on treatments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    What about the "Can they say the fatty diet causes breast cancer deaths?" Or something like that...
    -positive correlation but not causal link as could be other factors (ethnicity ...)

for the cancer question.. why are people including age? I didn't think that was relevant.

my fault for not reading the BPM question properly. I saw that the pressures at 0 and 0.7 were the same and so thought it was 60/0.6 = 100; bit annoyed as i put 85.7 first but its 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Why am I worrying about it now? What's done it done. :excited: I'm gonna go to sleep and forget about it. Hope you guise did well tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    how many do you reckon u got wrong....max?
    Hmm.. I don't know, it's so hard to tell. I think I got the right ideas.. now just for AQA wording :/ You?

ReputationRep:
    How science works questions lost me marks .. Those stupid 1 markers ... I am pissed... Everything more than 1 mark was easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Hmm.. I don't know, it's so hard to tell. I think I got the right ideas.. now just for AQA wording :/ You?
    i reckon probz 4-9

ReputationRep:
    I screwed up the calculation questions. :sad:

Overall it was okay, as long as it's an A i don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    i reckon probz 4-9
    4-9 marks? That's nothing! Why the worried face haha?

ReputationRep:
    i reckon probz 4-9
    :lolwut: Don't tell me you're worried over that.

the most I think I lost was like 20 or somthing. Least about 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsJustTooBad)
    What did people put for the question one which was on about competitive inhibitors? I had no idea about that.

Also were the answers to the first questions: Hydrolysis and glucose?

In the final questions (cant remeber the exact wording) but did they only want to know about what phagocytes did and not the other responses they cause like t and b cells? and the very last one, was that about like large surface area by microvillie and lots of mitochondria for active transport?
    Yeah the first questions rught ^

The galactose is the same shape as substrate, so binds to active site of the enzyme as it's also complimentary. So less E-S complexes, so reaction slowed.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAH. im so glad its over. I think it went really well. Some of the 1 markers were really stupid though. :/ The marks i know ive dropped are from the 1 mark questions. All the bigger questions were quite easy.

I think ive only got about 3 marks for the last question on absorbtion. Absorbtion is my weakness. :/ I wrote about
    Microvilli and how they increase surface area... for faster absorbtion (so hopefully 2 marks there?)
    and then i wrote briefly about carrier proteins / ion channels... then a bunch of rubbish thats probably not worth much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsJustTooBad)
    What did people put for the question one which was on about competitive inhibitors? I had no idea about that.

Also were the answers to the first questions: Hydrolysis and glucose?

In the final questions (cant remeber the exact wording) but did they only want to know about what phagocytes did and not the other responses they cause like t and b cells? and the very last one, was that about like large surface area by microvillie and lots of mitochondria for active transport?
    Yeah, those were the first two answers the competitive inhibitors was asking about galactose and lactose competing for the enzymes active sites, they both have similar shapes...

ReputationRep:
    Must forget about this and revise for something else now. Hopefully it went okay, will have to wait until August now.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: Don't tell me you're worried over that.

the most I think I lost was like 20 or somthing. Least about 19.
    nt worried....just that every mark possibly lost could have been avoided. only had 3 minutes to check my answers -_- anyways its over....going to start revision biol2 -_-

19-20? that is very close to the A boundary....its around 40/60 for an A

ReputationRep:
    Thought the exam went really well, but messed up on the final question, was wondering if anyone had any idea how many marks i'd get for this :

i put there are lots of mitochondria which produce atp used for actively transporting sodium out of the epithelial cells -> blood. This allows the co-transport of sodium and glucose into the blood down a concentration gradient.

I said there are carrier proteins in the plasma membrane allowing f diffusion of glucose into the blood and also for the active transport of sodium into the blood.

I said that there are villi (for surface area)

Microvilli for the same reason

i said that the epithelial cells have a blood supply (capillaries) close to them for quick, efficient diffusion.

BUT i forgot to include the RER, ribosomes for protein synthesis (i wrote it in my plan which i crossed out!)

will i get 5 or 6 for this, i'm not sure if ill gain a mark for the description used elsewhere in the question, or did i need to mention the ribosomes/RER for the full 6 marks?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    nt worried....just that every mark possibly lost could have been avoided. only had 3 minutes to check my answers -_- anyways its over....going to start revision biol2 -_-

19-20? that is very close to the A boundary....its around 40/60 for an A
    Ok, maybe not 20... but like 11-13 or something. I finished the paper in about 40 mins. :facepalm2: I needed the loo SO badly. Damn Redbull.

I hope I get an A. What did you get in your ISA out of 50? I got 39 :nooo: but I've been told that's an A :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Waaaait is it only 40/60 for an A normally?

If so, thats awesome! I think ive got mid-high 40's when i went back and checked through answers i was 99% sure about being right. I thought that would be a B.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, maybe not 20... but like 11-13 or something. I finished the paper in about 40 mins. :facepalm2: I needed the loo SO badly. Damn Redbull.

I hope I get an A. What did you get in your ISA out of 50? I got 39 :nooo: but I've been told that's an A :lolwut:
    about half the students that do biology in my year got 39....yh thts an A based on last year boundary, 54/60 ums

i got 45/50...last year that would be 60/60 ums =) the boundaries for our isa will be release 1 day before results day -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Waaaait is it only 40/60 for an A normally?

If so, thats awesome! I think ive got mid-high 40's when i went back and checked through answers i was 99% sure about being right. I thought that would be a B.
    Usually a bit higher than 40 I think. And seeing as this paper could have been a lot harder I reckon it will be a fair bit higher. :afraid:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.