Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    about half the students that do biology in my year got 39....yh thts an A based on last year boundary, 54/60 ums

i got 45/50...last year that would be 60/60 ums =) the boundaries for our isa will be release 1 day before results day -_-
    REALLY? :zomg: thank god. I did better in my Chem ISA tho. I now prefer chem to bio :nothing:

I'm sure 45/50 will be 100% ums again tbh. I heard the ISA ones don't change that often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Usually a bit higher than 40 I think. And seeing as this paper could have been a lot harder I reckon it will be a fair bit higher. :afraid:
    Ohwell, its done now. Whether i got an A or a B.... i'll have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    REALLY? :zomg: thank god. I did better in my Chem ISA tho. I now prefer chem to bio :nothing:

I'm sure 45/50 will be 100% ums again tbh. I heard the ISA ones don't change that often.
    o yh i did better in my chem aqa isa...got 48/50...3-4 kids in my year got 50/50 as well. what other exams you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    o yh i did better in my chem aqa isa...got 48/50...3-4 kids in my year got 50/50 as well. what other exams you got?
    I've got 1 bio, 2 chem, 2 history, 3 maths and 2 critical thinking exams left so far. you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjmcerlean)
    Thought the exam went really well, but messed up on the final question, was wondering if anyone had any idea how many marks i'd get for this :

i put there are lots of mitochondria which produce atp used for actively transporting sodium out of the epithelial cells -> blood. This allows the co-transport of sodium and glucose into the blood down a concentration gradient.

I said there are carrier proteins in the plasma membrane allowing f diffusion of glucose into the blood and also for the active transport of sodium into the blood.

I said that there are villi (for surface area)

Microvilli for the same reason

i said that the epithelial cells have a blood supply (capillaries) close to them for quick, efficient diffusion.

BUT i forgot to include the RER, ribosomes for protein synthesis (i wrote it in my plan which i crossed out!)

will i get 5 or 6 for this, i'm not sure if ill gain a mark for the description used elsewhere in the question, or did i need to mention the ribosomes/RER for the full 6 marks?

Thanks

Same, messed the last question. Forgot all about mitochondria and such. Basically, just explained the process by which glucose is absorbed.

All in all, not a bad paper. Hopefully got an A.
    Unit 2 in a week though......crap.

Dom

ReputationRep:
    Arghh I really hope I didn't lose too many marks. I need to stop thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    I did bad on the heart questions, evil AQA as usual.

I did bad on the calculation questions.

I think I have got a B.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, why was the pressure higher in the left ventricle?

ReputationRep:
    I hope I didn't lose silly marks, I know I did in some questions where I forgot to write about certain things despite having learnt it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that could of been so much worse! Although I messed up the last questions. I started chatting about Lytic acid instead of enzymes :facepalm: and I didn't even mention the sodium-potassium pump!

Also, what was the answer to the blood one about what times the valves were closed? And the lung calculation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjmcerlean)
    Thought the exam went really well, but messed up on the final question, was wondering if anyone had any idea how many marks i'd get for this :

i put there are lots of mitochondria which produce atp used for actively transporting sodium out of the epithelial cells -> blood. This allows the co-transport of sodium and glucose into the blood down a concentration gradient.

I said there are carrier proteins in the plasma membrane allowing f diffusion of glucose into the blood and also for the active transport of sodium into the blood.

I said that there are villi (for surface area)

Microvilli for the same reason

i said that the epithelial cells have a blood supply (capillaries) close to them for quick, efficient diffusion.

BUT i forgot to include the RER, ribosomes for protein synthesis (i wrote it in my plan which i crossed out!)

will i get 5 or 6 for this, i'm not sure if ill gain a mark for the description used elsewhere in the question, or did i need to mention the ribosomes/RER for the full 6 marks?

Thanks
    i said

microvilli- large sa
    thin epithelium/endothelial walls- shorter diff pathway
    respiration glucose used up- conc gradient
    constantly moving villi- conc gradient
    instrinsic protein- moves glucose
    co-transport- the process

4rgot mitochondria when i mentioned energy and i said the glucose conc in lumen is than blood....which is hard to refute or accept

ReputationRep:
    I feel stupid, but I swear the heart rate one was 100? The 0 and 0.7 values were the same, so surely 0.7 was when the new heartbeat started. So 60/0.6 = 100? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matfenmagic)
    I feel stupid, but I swear the heart rate one was 100? The 0 and 0.7 values were the same, so surely 0.7 was when the new heartbeat started. So 60/0.6 = 100? :confused:
    I got that aswell. Because 0.7s was the start of the new cycle.

So 0.6 is the length of each cycle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))

DAMN!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it confused a lot of people. I reckon you're right. At least it was just one mark.

ReputationRep:
    that paper was soooooo easy, could have done it when i waas like, in the womb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))

It is but the time starts at 0.0 seconds. 0.0 - 0.1, 0.1 - 0.2, 0.2 - 0.3, 0.3 - 0.4, 0.4 - 0.5, 0.5 - 0.6, 0.6 - 0.7. So it's seven intervals so 0.7 seconds. (then 0.7 - 0.8 is the new cycle, same as 0.0 - 0.1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    It is but the time starts at 0.0 seconds. 0.0 - 0.1, 0.1 - 0.2, 0.2 - 0.3, 0.3 - 0.4, 0.4 - 0.5, 0.5 - 0.6, 0.6 - 0.7. So it's seven intervals so 0.7 seconds.
    Same. I thought this too. A lot of people I know got 85.7 or rounded it up to 86. It's only one mark though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I thought this paper was quite simple but reading most of these posts, I think I've made loads of stupid mistakes! I bloody hope I get an A now.

ReputationRep:
    Really happy about that paper, seemed fairly straightforward. Just had a little difficulty with the 6 mark question and how they calculated the death rate per country?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.