Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, the grade boundaries will either be low or high for this paper. Could go either way, because there were many questions that would catch students out. Other than that, most questions were fairly straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote use LITMUS PAPER for the PH thing..ugh I didn't even think of the buffer thing... :/
    ugh. would that be wrong?
    And the sodium potassium pump didn't even come to mind on the last question! I just wrote about-
    *the villi contracting/relaxing which agitates the lumen--maintains concentration gradient/ you get more glucose rich food
    * villi/micro villi = large surface area = lots of glucose molecules being taken up
    *thin epithelial walls= short diffusion distance
    And I spent ages on the potassium pump last night and understood it perfectly!! just didn't come into mind

Overall, it was an exceptionally nice paper!! but I just didn't think in some cases!!! so many stupid errors...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy)
    Wow, I thought this paper was quite simple but reading most of these posts, I think I've made loads of stupid mistakes! I bloody hope I get an A now.
    EXACTLY how I feel!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    Same. I thought this too. A lot of people I know got 85.7 or rounded it up to 86. It's only one mark though.
    I just left it at 85. Lets see if I get penalised.

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer for the heart valves been closed? I can't remember the values but i done between the third from bottom and the bottom? Also the last question I didn't do that much but not sure if I'd lose marks as I made a few points with explaining (and mark schemes usually for long questions are make a point and explain)
    Said got more and small villi so S.A increases.
    Carrier proteins carry glucose into the epithiliel cell using co-transport with sodium so uses no ATP.
    Sodium pottasium pump pumps sodium out to create a concentration gradient for sodium
    Blood flows away maintaining the concentration gradient.

So was it no 85.7 but 100 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    So was it no 85.7 but 100 then?
    It was 86.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matfenmagic)
    I feel stupid, but I swear the heart rate one was 100? The 0 and 0.7 values were the same, so surely 0.7 was when the new heartbeat started. So 60/0.6 = 100? :confused:
    That's what I thought second time round but then the third time I changed it back to my original answer 60/0.7. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    It was 86.
    You can't round it up. If it is meant to be rounded it would be 85. Ie you can't have 10.7 people. And you can add 0.3 to it you have 10 people. Same thing works so it would be 85 if you had to round it. Not sure if you had to round it. Anyway question was whether the cycle was 0.6 not 0.7 like some people have been saying.

ReputationRep:
    You can't round it up. If it is meant to be rounded it would be 85. Ie you can't have 10.7 people. And you can add 0.3 to it you have 10 people. Same thing works so it would be 85 if you had to round it. Not sure if you had to round it. Anyway question was whether the cycle was 0.6 not 0.7 like some people have been saying.
    You use 0.7 and I put down 85. So we will see come August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    It is but the time starts at 0.0 seconds. 0.0 - 0.1, 0.1 - 0.2, 0.2 - 0.3, 0.3 - 0.4, 0.4 - 0.5, 0.5 - 0.6, 0.6 - 0.7. So it's seven intervals so 0.7 seconds. (then 0.7 - 0.8 is the new cycle, same as 0.0 - 0.1)

That still assumes that 0.6-0.7 was part of the first cycle. Because it had the same values as the first interval, I assumed it was the start of the second heartbeat. I still think it was 60/0.6, so 100 (if only to stop myself from slitting my wrists in punishment for my stupidity...).

EDIT: You're probably right.

ReputationRep:
    You use 0.7 and I put down 85. So we will see come August.
    Meh I put 85.7 but wasn't sure to round down or not. Wish I did. Also wish I bothered to put mitochrondria in for the last question but thought I put enough. Now I'm not sure. Though I quickly put in that the aveoli are destroyed in emphesema question so less SA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matfenmagic)
    That still assumes that 0.6-0.7 was part of the first cycle. Because it had the same values as the first interval, I assumed it was the start of the second heartbeat. I still think it was 60/0.6, so 100 (if only to stop myself from slitting my wrists in punishment for my stupidity...).
    The question clearly states the table represents one complete cardiac cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Meh I put 85.7 but wasn't sure to round down or not. Wish I did. Also wish I bothered to put mitochrondria in for the last question but thought I put enough. Now I'm not sure. Though I quickly put in that the aveoli are destroyed in emphesema question so less SA.
    I completely forgot about the mitochondria, lets hope I get the other 4-5 marks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they will have a range that includes 85 and 86, they are usually pretty soft on exact values.

ReputationRep:
    I completely forgot about the mitochondria, lets hope I get the other 4-5 marks.
    Would this be enough for the 6 marks do you think?

Got more and small villi so S.A increases.
    Carrier proteins carry glucose into the epithiliel cell using co-transport with sodium so uses no ATP.
    Sodium pottasium pump pumps sodium out to create a concentration gradient for sodium

When were the valves closed? (Was it 0.5-0.7?)

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure it was 85.7 because at the top it said something along the lines of "This shows the pressure changes during one cardiac cycle" therefore 0-0.7 is one cardiac cycle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    I'm sure they will have a range that includes 85 and 86, they are usually pretty soft on exact values.
    See, that's what I thought as well. Well, we will see in August if the marking was harsh.

ReputationRep:
    For the last questions I immediately for some reason shut out what was outside the epithelial cell and thickness etc... and just talked about sodium potassium, carrier proteins, facilitated diffusion, co transport proteins.. i didnt talk about thin, mitochondria, microvilli etc...

how many marks do you think I'll get?

ReputationRep:
    Would this be enough for the 6 marks do you think?

Got more and small villi so S.A increases.

When were the valves closed? (Was it 0.5-0.7?)
    Hmm, depends on the mark scheme but I'm gonna guess and say 4 marks.

I put 0.6 and 0.7 for when the valves were closed.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, depends on the mark scheme but I'm gonna guess and say 4 marks.

I put 0.6 and 0.7 for when the valves were closed.
    I changed mine frmo 0.6 to 0.5 because the blood was leaving the ventricles (1.0 to 0.3) so valves are closed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.