Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karimshaheda)
    I didn't understand the simple questions, when you have to read off graphs..
    How did everyone work out the one where it was death rates amongst breast cancer people per 100000 or something?

The question was like: 'How did scientists calculate the rate of deaths or something...'.
    i said that for every 100,000 deaths in the population, find out how many was caused by breast cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinz93)
    For the last questions I immediately for some reason shut out what was outside the epithelial cell and thickness etc... and just talked about sodium potassium, carrier proteins, facilitated diffusion, co transport proteins.. i didnt talk about thin, mitochondria, microvilli etc...

how many marks do you think I'll get?
    Maybe 3 at a rough guess? Possibly 4 if you are lucky ..

Oh yeah what did everyone put for the question about when the AV valves were shut? I think I put down 0.2 - 0.4 because the ventricles had such high pressure at that point.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't asking about atrioventricular valves? So it would be closed between 0.1 - 0.5 (or something... basically, when ventricles were of higher pressure). Or is this another question...

ReputationRep:
    Was the table for the valve question showing pressure or volume?

ReputationRep:
    I was like :lolwut: when i saw it was 6-4 instead of 5-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Pressure

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was that?

ReputationRep:
    pressure, i got 0.2 - 0.6 as this was the time pressure of ventricles were higher than atrium

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh crap. Horrible feeling I didn't read that properly now.
    I think I read it as pressure.

2 marks for that I think (?)

ReputationRep:
    I'm still confused if it was 85.7 or 100. I put 85.7, but considered both. Isn't 100 beats per min a bit fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    Wasn't asking about atrioventricular valves? So it would be closed between 0.1 - 0.5 (or something... basically, when ventricles were of higher pressure). Or is this another question...
    That's what I put. The whole period where the ventricle had a higher pressure than the atrium would have a closed AV valve, surely.

ReputationRep:
    For the pressure i puy 0.2 and 0.6 i think, when the pressure is higher in the ventricles than the atria...

Im not even sure on how well i did, hopefully more than 68 ums this time!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marijuana)
    pressure, i got 0.2 - 0.6 as this was the time pressure of ventricles were higher than atrium

(Original post by Wonderwoman93)
    For the pressure i puy 0.2 and 0.6 i think, when the pressure is higher in the ventricles than the atria...

Im not even sure on how well i did, hopefully more than 68 ums this time!!!
    I think it was 0.1 - 0.5?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the questions ? (Last time someone had the questions because they took a spare after the exam)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    I've got 1 bio, 2 chem, 2 history, 3 maths and 2 critical thinking exams left so far. you?
    got m1, d1, chem1 (83 from before), chem2, bio2, c3, c4, physics 2 and fp1 -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I think it was 0.1 - 0.5?
    I got that too. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    yup i got 30 too!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how many marks the 1st question for the heart section was???

ReputationRep:
    I know that this has been covered already, but the question about the atrioventricular valve shutting was so poorly worded.

From memory, I read it as "between which two times is the valve between the atrium and the ventricle shut"

I interpretted this to mean that I had to find the two successive times between which the physical action of the valve shutting occured.. "between which two times". So I put 0.0 and 0.1 as at 0.0, pressure in atrium > pressure in ventricle, and at 0.1, pressure in atrium < pressure in ventricle. (this pattern didn't occur anywhere else through data).

Surely this is correct?

ReputationRep:
    How did you answer the 'evaluate the vacine' question? Alot of people said they should use antibiotics ect. but i wrote;

1. Sample size was unknown
    2. Experiment was not carried out on humans
    3. long term side effect was unknown
    4. no control group was used.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, did i miss interprit the question?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.