Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentofskhs)
    How did you answer the 'evaluate the vacine' question? Alot of people said they should use antibiotics ect. but i wrote;

1. Sample size was unknown
    2. Experiment was not carried out on humans
    3. long term side effect was unknown
    4. no control group was used.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, did i miss interprit the question?
    How many marks was that question worth again?

ReputationRep:
    Wasnt the chylamidia question (vaccine part) about the fact that it could be dangerous because the vaccine could trigger an immune response attacking heart protein?

ReputationRep:
    How did you answer the 'evaluate the vacine' question? Alot of people said they should use antibiotics ect. but i wrote;

1. Sample size was unknown
    2. Experiment was not carried out on humans
    3. long term side effect was unknown
    4. no control group was used.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, did i miss interprit the question?
    Well i wrote something completely different...

I wrote
    - Yes it a good idea, because ingested drugs would not work because proteins will be digested
    - Vacinnes will stimuate the production of memory cells against Chlamidia etc

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought i done really well guys but i did lose marks on the maths equations and abit on the heart but other than that i think i got aorund 44, any ideas wat grade tht could be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    How many marks was that question worth again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Well i wrote something completely different...

I wrote
    - Yes it a good idea, because ingested drugs would not work because proteins will be digested
    - Vacinnes will stimuate the production of memory cells against Chlamidia etc
    I must had misread the question then. What was the acutal question?

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to the very last question guys, u dont talk about active trnasport much do u

i thought u do like thin diffusion pathway etc. coz it asks how is it adapted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Oh, then I think I might have at least got 2 marks, maybe 1 if they mark harshly.

ReputationRep:
    this paper was straightforward but still easy to lose marks, i predict an A grade to be around 41 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    what was the answer to the very last question guys, u dont talk about active trnasport much do u

i thought u do like thin diffusion pathway etc. coz it asks how is it adapted!
    You talk about Co-Transport and Sodium Potassium pump. Also what the mitochondria are there for, and the concentration gradient.

ReputationRep:
    I must had misread the question then. What was the acutal question?
    Erm it was something along the lines of (obviously worded more 'proper')

'Scientists are thinking of vaccinating people against chlyamida, evaluate this idea' or something.

It didnt say anything about the previous study, just the idea of vaccinating people against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    this paper was straightforward but still easy to lose marks, i predict an A grade to be around 41 marks
    You've hit the nail with that one.

When I think back at the paper, it was straightforward just you could really easily lose marks here and there. Like the stupid 1 mark HSW questions. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Erm it was something along the lines of (obviously worded more 'proper')

'Scientists are thinking of vaccinating people against chlyamida, evaluate this idea' or something.

It didnt say anything about the previous study, just the idea of vaccinating people against it.
    Couldn't the actual answer swing both ways, so the body attacks its own heart muscle cells. Or by vaccinating you prevent the spread of chlamydia?

ReputationRep:
    Someone make a thread on AQA Bio 2 , I'm hyped up about that now...

ReputationRep:
    You talk about Co-Transport and Sodium Potassium pump. Also what the mitochondria are there for, and the concentration gradient.
    ah ****, i spoke about many blood vessels, many microvilli increase sa and diffusion pathway?

coz it said the adaptiations for epitleial cells, can any1 clarify this?

ReputationRep:
    For the question about how did they calculate rate of deaths by breast cancer I put find the number of cases reported to be caused by breast cancer divide that by the population of the country adn multiply by 100000. was that right?

and for the vaccine question I put It was tested on mice humans could have a different respone. In the passage it sasy protein found ofn the heart muscle cells of MICE were similar to the antigen I said the protein on human heart muscle cells could be different. now i think about it it said evaluate so maybe I should have said a positive like reduce the spread of disesae. this wsa out of 3 marks wast it.

on the laast question about glucose absorbtion i wrote about:
    Lots of mitochondria - energy for active transport
    microvilli - providdde large surface area and contract and help maintain diffusion gradient.
    special protein molecules found in membrane used for co-transport and actice transport - I explaained the processes in detail

how manny marks do you think that would get out of 6
    overall I thought the paper was alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    Make it yourself, you lazy bum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    bio 2 is my weakness, although i think i have got A in bio 1 and 3 but we will see, dont wanna get hopes too high

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't the actual answer swing both ways, so the body attacks its own heart muscle cells. Or by vaccinating you prevent the spread of chlamydia?
    Yes im guessing it could have gone both ways, you could say yes or no depending on what evidence/info you used to back it up!

ReputationRep:
    Yes im guessing it could have gone both ways, you could say yes or no depending on what evidence/info you used to back it up!
    See that's what I thought, seeing as the question wasn't necessarily asking you to talk about the WBC attacking the heart muscle cells.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.