Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentofskhs)
    How did you answer the 'evaluate the vacine' question? Alot of people said they should use antibiotics ect. but i wrote;

1. Sample size was unknown
    2. Experiment was not carried out on humans
    3. long term side effect was unknown
    4. no control group was used.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, did i miss interprit the question?
    I think it was meant to ask whether or not a vaccine should be made.
    I said they could use condoms intead. :flute:

Forgot what else I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    Hopefully someone will upload one by tomorrow.
    Cool, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    I think it was meant to ask whether or not a vaccine should be made.
    I said they could use condoms intead. :flute:

Forgot what else I said.

yeah but wouldnt a vaccine mean that more of the heart tissue would get attacked ? because it contains the same protein antigens found on chlaymidia ( or however it's spelt ) thats what i put down, i took a massive gamble on that one, huh, im hoping it paid off.

ReputationRep:
    I am so stressed people! I got all the calculations wrong! And forgot to talk about sodium-potassium transport for the last one :'(

ReputationRep:
    I have an inkling of a feeling that this paper has mark high boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    yeah but wouldnt a vaccine mean that more of the heart tissue would get attacked ? because it contains the same protein antigens found on chlaymidia ( or however it's spelt ) thats what i put down, i took a massive gamble on that one, huh, im hoping it paid off.
    Ah remember some of it now.
    Yeah I put down that the heart muscle might get damaged and herd immunity. Should have said depends if the risk is greater than the side effect =.=
    Forgot the rest but if I see somebody else mention it I'll remember I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Ah remember some of it now.
    Yeah I put down that the heart muscle might get damaged and herd immunity. Should have said depends if the risk is greater than the side effect =.=
    Forgot the rest but if I see somebody else mention it I'll remember I think.

hopefully someone posts an unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    I am so stressed people! I got all the calculations wrong! And forgot to talk about sodium-potassium transport for the last one :'(
    You didn't need to talk about sodium-potassium pumps. Although it would gain credit, it would be only 1 mark. There were like 10 points you could have made, each getting a mark. So don't worry

What did you put for the heart beat question? 86? 86.7? or 87?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benevolence)
    You didn't need to talk about sodium-potassium pumps. Although it would gain credit, it would be only 1 mark. There were like 10 points you could have made, each getting a mark. So don't worry

To be honest, the sodium-potassium pump is only indirectly linked to glucose transport (although it is related). The co-transporter is probably more important tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benevolence)

What other points would you have made for that?

Also, none of that, got 100, wrong. fml feel like dying.

ReputationRep:
    What other points would you have made for that?

Also, none of that, got 100, wrong. fml feel like dying.
    I put down lots of small villi increaseing surface area. Sodium-potassium pump pumps Na out so makes Na concentration gradient. Glucose-sodium co-transport and glucose channel proteins. Also blood flows away so concentration gradient maintained.

Could have put mitochrondria (thought of it but didn't)
    yeah you got 0.6 because they tricked you with the 0.0 and 0.7 being the same value. Question said one cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Opened the paper, saw the first question, and thought, "YES!" Turned to the last page, and thought, "FML."

ReputationRep:
    Arghh. Im screwed
    Messed up the hear questions so bad! Plus for the vaccine questions, i didnt realise that the memory cell would recognise the protein in the heart muscle as its antibodies complemantary antigen. Imstead I worte on re-infection of clamidiyia the antibodies would attack. Basically was against the vaccine cos reinfection of clamidiyia would lead to antibodies attacking heart. Didnt realise that the memory cells would do that anyway!!!!

Also, For an A*, I know you need 80% in AS modules and 90 % in A2 modules. Is that 80/90 % of raw marks or UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    The question doesn't specify about the previous experiment findings, they just gave us a statement and told us to evaluate it. At least that's what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    :'( :'( might as well commit suicide. FDGHUDHGDFUGH so frustrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Arghh. Im screwed
    Messed up the hear questions so bad! Plus for the vaccine questions, i didnt realise that the memory cell would recognise the protein in the heart muscle as its antibodies complemantary antigen. Imstead I worte on re-infection of clamidiyia the antibodies would attack. Basically was against the vaccine cos reinfection of clamidiyia would lead to antibodies attacking heart. Didnt realise that the memory cells would do that anyway!!!!

Also, For an A*, I know you need 80% in AS modules and 90 % in A2 modules. Is that 80/90 % of raw marks or UMS?
    80AS and 90% for overall.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt realise that the memory cells would bind to the muscle cell! I just wrote about how it protects it aaaaaah !!!!!!!! so upsett

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaimishaParekh)
    Opened the paper, saw the first question, and thought, "YES!" Turned to the last page, and thought, "FML."
    This, I turned to the last page asap after seeing the first few questions.

ReputationRep:
    :'( :'( might as well commit suicide. FDGHUDHGDFUGH so frustrated
    i feel your pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    This, I turned to the last page asap after seeing the first few questions.
    hey........

failed........... urgh...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.