Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Arghh. Im screwed
    Messed up the hear questions so bad! Plus for the vaccine questions, i didnt realise that the memory cell would recognise the protein in the heart muscle as its antibodies complemantary antigen. Imstead I worte on re-infection of clamidiyia the antibodies would attack. Basically was against the vaccine cos reinfection of clamidiyia would lead to antibodies attacking heart. Didnt realise that the memory cells would do that anyway!!!!

Also, For an A*, I know you need 80% in AS modules and 90 % in A2 modules. Is that 80/90 % of raw marks or UMS?
    UMS

ReputationRep:
    Arghh. Im screwed
    Messed up the hear questions so bad! Plus for the vaccine questions, i didnt realise that the memory cell would recognise the protein in the heart muscle as its antibodies complemantary antigen. Imstead I worte on re-infection of clamidiyia the antibodies would attack. Basically was against the vaccine cos reinfection of clamidiyia would lead to antibodies attacking heart. Didnt realise that the memory cells would do that anyway!!!!

Also, For an A*, I know you need 80% in AS modules and 90 % in A2 modules. Is that 80/90 % of raw marks or UMS?
    UMS not raw marks. Usually around 70ish% in raw marks converts to 80 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    This, I turned to the last page asap after seeing the first few questions.
    same! liked the last 4 marker, i wrote about glucose and sodium in the blood for the last one. fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    hey........

failed........... urgh...
    Dont worry too much, application questions are a killer. The most suprising this was the fact that the last question was 6 marks wtf?!?!?!

I'm hoping the grade boundaries are low because of the change in layout and the tricky questions, but then again this is a June series exam where all the geniuses come out to play :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Ironic thing is i did the last two questions first and was happy with them! Phagocytosis, absorption in the small intestine and adaptations of the intestine is something I did in revision yesterday! its only after coming on here I'v realised how much iv missed out. TOTAL buzz kill!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Ironic thing is i did the last two questions first and was happy with them! Phagocytosis, absorption in the small intestine and adaptations of the intestine is something I did in revision yesterday! its only after coming on here I'v realised how much iv missed out. TOTAL buzz kill!
    SAMEEE!!!!!!!!!
    Did them first and was like , oh wow, i've totally got 10/10. FMLLLLLLLLLL :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Dont worry too much, application questions are a killer. The most suprising this was the fact that the last question was 6 marks wtf?!?!?!

I'm hoping the grade boundaries are low because of the change in layout and the tricky questions, but then again this is a June series exam where all the geniuses come out to play :/
    Alot of students retake, but don't forget there are still loads of school who don't take January exams, so the grade boundaries could come down if everyone was caught off guard, like seriously the last question 4/6 marks? I was like :eek: its always been 5/5!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone PLEASE explain how you got the thingi for Person A, i added the pressure up and divided it by the time or something? !: Wrong answer though.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone PLEASE explain how you got the thingi for Person A, i added the pressure up and divided it by the time or something? !: Wrong answer though.
    It was 1.4 I think.

Just rearrange the equation: Pulmonary Ventilation = Tidal Volume X Breathing Rate

ReputationRep:
    SAMEEE!!!!!!!!!
    Did them first and was like , oh wow, i've totally got 10/10. FMLLLLLLLLLL :'(
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs any reassuring just remember, there are lots of bad colleges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    If anyone needs any reassuring just remember, there are lots of bad colleges
    Suprisingly that actually made me feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    It was 1.4 I think.
    Everyone I talked to got like 1.17.
    I think. Can't remember. Anyone can comfirm? It was the air exhaled/time?

ReputationRep:
    I did difference in pressure between at 1 second and 3 seconds. Divide that by 3 and i got 1.4 . Dunno if thats right or wrong

ReputationRep:
    I did that and got 2? Didnt you add it all up and divide by the time added up?! :'(

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I think it depends on if you divided it by three or four. I tried both and decided 1.4 seemed better. I think. I remeber getting 1.17 somehow and thinking it was too low.

ReputationRep:
    What other points would you have made for that?

Also, none of that, got 100, wrong. fml feel like dying.
    I talked about:
    Villi having a large SA and so increasing the rate of absorption

Micro Villi further increasing this SA

Carrier proteins, protein channels and active transport and facilitated diffusion also aid the flow

Movement of blood maintains the diffusion gradient

The movement of the villi so that glucose-rich food is available - maintaining the diffusion gradient

Not sure what else

ReputationRep:
    I did that and got 2? Didnt you add it all up and divide by the time added up?! :'(
    Bet I didn't read the question again then. D:
    I did from 0-3. Didn't it ask for that? Did 3.5/3.

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad paper ... For heart rate I got 86bpm. Everything was alright, apart from the vaccination question which baffed me for a bit.

However, for absorption question, I mentioned microvilli for SA, thin for diffusion pathway, moving and all. But seeing as it was 6 marks I started mentioning mitochondria for ATP and active transport. Then I got a little carried away and wrote about the endoplasmic, golgi, and all that. Reckon they'll mark me down?

Also, guys, don't stress now. What's done is done - Focus on your other exams!

ReputationRep:
    I think it was 1.4

It was 4.2 for 3 secs
    so, for 1 sec 4.2/3 = 1.4

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.