Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    do you think the grade boundaries will go up or down

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they will allow 1 mark for the principle of dividing the pressure/time as that was really confusing?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    What is a UMS calculator could you give me a link. Could you just explain to me how this UMS works, it's so friggin confusing. I bet AQA to this stupid UMS and awkward marking thing so people don't realize when they make mistakes.

I'm on to you AQA. I'm watching you...
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_as.php?id=04

Haha all the exam boards use UMS. In all honesty, I don't completely understand it, but it's like the raw mark grade boundary for an A would equate to 80% UMS. I think it makes it easier for when you've got different units, or something :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i believe the heart rate one was 85.7 but scince its to .7 you cant round up as its not a full heart beat.

60 divided by 0.7 = 85.7

answer = 85 beats per minute

:P

ReputationRep:
    GUYS ! what did you put for the first question, the part where it asks you about the high concentrations of reducing sugars or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoopyj)
    Damn that was a hard paper. I didnt even get time to finish half of it!! did anyone else have this problem!!

I was so annoyed about the last question. Genetic Engineering is a unit 2 topic, why was it in a unit 1 paper!! My Biology teacher said that our school is going to complain to the exam board about that question. Probably got like a D in this paper. Also was the answer to the very first question hydrolysis??
    There was not genetic engineering question. Last question was on epithelial cells. The one before that was on phagocytes.

ReputationRep:
    Down definitely, that was one tricky paper to say the least. January 2011 and june 10 were much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Where does genetic engineering come into it ?

ReputationRep:
    Damn that was a hard paper. I didnt even get time to finish half of it!! did anyone else have this problem!!

I was so annoyed about the last question. Genetic Engineering is a unit 2 topic, why was it in a unit 1 paper!! My Biology teacher said that our school is going to complain to the exam board about that question. Probably got like a D in this paper. Also was the answer to the very first question hydrolysis??
    yeah the answer to the 1st question was hydrolysis...but i know! i was thinking that! genetic engineering, i hadn't revised for properly yet i didnt even get time to answer everything, so i missed it out...there's 9 marks straight down the drain for me

ReputationRep:
    was the table for the cardiac cycle question about volume or pressure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i3kel)
    There was no genetic engineering on the paper?

And yeah that was the answer
    aqa bio unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leesh18)
    i wrote -1.4 would i still get a mark
    i have no idea but you can hope for it lol :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I'm pretty sure it was 85.7 rather than 100.
    I put down 85.

Edit: WTF with the neg rep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    GUYS ! what did you put for the first question, the part where it asks you about the high concentrations of reducing sugars or something
    all monosacharrides are reducing sugars
    so glucose.. galactose.

ReputationRep:
    guys so for the very last Q, what wuld i get out of 6 for saying microvilli large sa, diffusion pathway short and blood capillaries maintna conc grad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Do you think they will allow 1 mark for the principle of dividing the pressure/time as that was really confusing?!
    Yeah one mark is probably for working as I think it said show working, the other mark was for the answer I presume.

ReputationRep:
    i wish someone would just post up the mark scheme today am so anxious to know what i got

ReputationRep:
    aqa bio unit 1?
    yeah...there was no genetic engineering.

(Original post by dontflinch)
    i believe the heart rate one was 85.7 but scince its to .7 you cant round up as its not a full heart beat.

60 divided by 0.7 = 85.7

answer = 85 beats per minute

:P
    75. divide by .8 you have to count 0 as the starting point

ReputationRep:

Did you do AQA?

I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    When it's hydrolsed, one molcules is split into two. This means a larger surface area for the Benedicts to react with, hence higher concentration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.