Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when you guys ruin my day
    ran out of time, now realsied i got the heart rate one wrong :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orihime-lover)
    Im also confused on this. No genetic engineering on this paper.. unless we got the wrong paper :eek:

PARANOID NOW.
    Lol I checked through, and I know I didn't miss any out. Noones mentioned it on here and genetic engineering isn't even part of it, so I think we're okay :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone agree with the fact that the 6marker was not very specific; the others have been very specific and this wasn't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Lol I checked through, and I know I didn't miss any out. Noones mentioned it on here and genetic engineering isn't even part of it, so I think we're okay :tongue:
    he must be talking about the human biology paper lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Doss exam, all that worry for nothing!
    ...1.4dms ....86bpm....easy question here, easy question there...blah blah 6 MARKS FOR EPITHELIAL CELLS? Yes please!

BRING THE HATE.

NB: Grade boundries are going to be sky high.

wasnt 1.4 haha it asked for average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoopyj)
    ok so i wasnt imagining it.. lol what did u put for this question?
    i wrote some stuff about the founder effect, but wasn't too sure if it was right or not...not even sure if it's relevant to genetic engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Please can someone agree with the fact that the 6marker was not very specific; the others have been very specific and this wasn't!
    It wasn't very specific at all. I put about mitochondria, microvilli, carrier proteins, lots of ribosomes and rough endoplasmic reticulum for manufacture of proteins etc, as well as on the sodium-potassium pump etc.

ReputationRep:
    umm sorry, but i think u did miss it. not trying to make u feel bad or anything. r u saying i was imagining the question? lol

ReputationRep:
    I agree the last question on the epithelial cells was a bit ambigous.

i just write as much as i could e.g short diffusion pathway for glucose to be absorbed... etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaron1989)
    i got 1.4 and i did 60/0.7 for beats per min which gave 85.7, one cardiac cycle (one heartbeat) took 0.7 seconds then you work how many of those 0.7 second beats occur in one minute( 60 seconds)...... i think
    I put 86 instead of 85.7, will I get the mark? I rounded it up cos you can't really get .7 of a heartbeat can you? Lol :P

ReputationRep:
    we're calculations 1 or 2 marks?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mention Sodium-potassium transport or carrier proteins!
    To your other question yeah the principle gets you a mark as it said show working.

I think the points on the epithelial cell must be that it is one cell thick therefore short diffusion pathway so diffusion is quicker, it has a lot of mitochondria to create ATP and release energy for active transport. And the microvilli and villi increase the surface area.

People are talking about blood but that will probably be wrong as it was just asking how the epithelial cell is adapted. You probably get one mark for stating the adaption and another on how it increases rate of diffusion.

ReputationRep:
    It was so vague. As soon as I came out, everyone was like :shock: SO VAGUE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    To your other question yeah the principle gets you a mark as it said show working.

I think the points on the epithelial cell must be that it is one cell thick therefore short diffusion pathway so diffusion is quicker, it has a lot of mitochondria to create ATP and release energy for active transport. And the microvilli and villi increase the surface area.

People are talking about blood but that will probably be wrong as it was just asking how the epithelial cell is adapted. You probably get one mark for stating the adaption and another on how it increases rate of diffusion.
    I wrote maltase enzyme is present in the brush borders, which converts maltose to glucose, will that get me a mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i3kel)
    we're calculations 1 or 2 marks?
    The question about 0-3 seconds and expelling air was two marks. One for working and one for answer I think.

The beats per minute was one mark, just for the answer.

ReputationRep:
    It was so vague. As soon as I came out, everyone was like :shock: SO VAGUE!
    was not vague at all... how are epithelial cells adapted for absorption of glucose? I dont get the vagueness..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz2coolz)
    i wrote some stuff about the founder effect, but wasn't too sure if it was right or not...not even sure if it's relevant to genetic engineering
    Founder effect?? i didnt even think of that!!! this is making me feel horrible. I was talking so much about Genetic Bottlenecks. Well that probably means im getting a U for this paper i hate my life right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoopyj)
    umm sorry, but i think u did miss it. not trying to make u feel bad or anything. r u saying i was imagining the question? lol
    Lol no, maybe you're paper was different. The last question for my paper was a 4marker on pagocytosis and 6 marker on the epithelial cells. And I know that was the last question because it said END and I was having to write around it.

ReputationRep:
    You had genetic engineering? Not sure if serious... You guys aren't wrong paper/pretending?
    It said end of questions after the epithelial cells.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who is feeling slightly suicidal about this paper or..? :afraid:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.