The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

I think ive lost quite a lot of marks on the hsw qs but everything else seems ok.
What did everyone get for the question about why person B has emphysema?
Original post by TlanTlan
The phagocytosis one i think i got full marks in, alas the same cannot be said of the 6marker.

That's definitely the hardest bio1 paper aqa have made so far.

phagocyte engulfs, distroys, lysosome hydrolyses etc?!?
Original post by Insanity514
For the concentration of reducing sugar one I put something like water is incorporated into the sugars and so there since less water is present the concentration of reducing sugars increases as there is more reducing sugar present in a given volume of solvent.

marks?

sameeee, i mentioned water reducing the concentration, but judging by what these guys are saying, its wrong !! im so angry !!!
Reply 1223
For the valves question i wrote 0.2-0.3 because the pressure in the ventricles was the highest! And when the AV valves the shut the pressure in the ventricles increases! :frown: think i got in the early 40s :frown:
Original post by Smoopyj
that was the penultimate question on mine. Im pretty sure u just missed that question out. Y would AQA release two versions of a paper? Haz2coolz had the paper aswell

No, I didn't miss it out.
Original post by superstressed
I think ive lost quite a lot of marks on the hsw qs but everything else seems ok.
What did everyone get for the question about why person B has emphysema?

less reduction in pressure of lungs, so less air breathed out? due to loss of elasticity?!?
Err why did the ventricle have more max pressure then atria? Was it due to having more muscle and pumping to the rest of the body (systemic circulation)

How was the ctrl grp treated?

...And what was the answer for the breast cancer conclusion question?
Reply 1227
Original post by Haz2coolz
Biology GCE unit 1, sat on the 16th May 2011, at 9:00am GMT...there was defo a question about genetic engineering on my paper :s it's kinda bugging me now, because no one knows the answer

ahhhh damn!! yeah genetic bottlenecks might be right :s i didnt even think about that! you won't get a U, it was only 9 marks missed out dw

Was it "Biology and Disease" ?
Original post by James A

hey guys, what grade do you think 46 out of 60 would translate to?
Reply 1229
Original post by swiftylol
Err why did the ventricle have more max pressure then atria? Was it due to having more muscle and pumping to the rest of the body (systemic circulation)

Yeah I put thicker, more muscular wall, so a stronger contraction, as atria only have to pump blood to ventricles, but ventricle all the way around the body.
Original post by Limitless

Original post by Limitless
No because that is not speed up diffusion. I don't remember reading anything saying that there is maltase enzyme present on the brush boarder so I don't think.

There are membran bound enzymes on the brush border which could speed up absorption as they make sure all substances are small. It could count :dontknow:

Ventricles pump blood to all extremes of body, e.g. tissues, whereas atrium only pump it to ventricles

placebo drug, everything else the same

and !??!?!?!
Original post by liviaaa

you guys are getting confused with human biology which is a different specification to the normal 'Biology' that this thread was started for.
Original post by EffKayy
Wel i didnt talk about mitochondria as I totally forgot about it, or carrier proteins.
I just wrote about villi, large surface area = more diffusion/ more absorption. thin walls = quicker diff.??! Also the NT says it is well supplied with blood vessels so can carry away absorbed molecules, will i get atleast 3? \:

What's NT? And I think you will get 3/4.
1 mark for stating microvilli/villi
1 mark for linking microvilli/villi to large S.A and increasing diffusion/absorbtion
1 mark for one cell thick but if you wrote thin walls you MIGHT not get it as you were to vague and one cell thick will probably be a key word
1 mark for linking the one cell thick to quicker diffusion
Reply 1234
Original post by liviaaa

Unit 1: Biology and Disease.

Biology GCE unit 1, sat on the 16th May 2011, at 9:00am GMT...there was defo a question about genetic engineering on my paper :s it's kinda bugging me now, because no one knows the answer

ahhhh damn!! yeah genetic bottlenecks might be right :s i didnt even think about that! you won't get a U, it was only 9 marks missed out dw

Did your paper say BIOL1 on the front?
Original post by dontflinch
hey guys, what grade do you think 46 out of 60 would translate to?

Probably an A considering this paper was an arse ache.
Original post by James A
sameeee, i mentioned water reducing the concentration, but judging by what these guys are saying, its wrong !! im so angry !!!

They could make it a right answer because. They have standardisation meetings for each paper and they argue about answers and stuff so hopefully we'll get the mark!
Reply 1238

Control group - a tablet not containing drug or anything that would affect stomach acidity (1 mark) and everything else is treated exactly the same (1 mark). I'm guessing those will be the marks, they have been in previous years. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I put thicker, more muscular wall, so a stronger contraction, as atria only have to pump blood to ventricles, but ventricle all the way around the body.

supersweet, thats pretty much exactly what i put :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending