Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    The phagocytosis one i think i got full marks in, alas the same cannot be said of the 6marker.

That's definitely the hardest bio1 paper aqa have made so far.

ReputationRep:
    at the start of this discussion i nicely thought i got 100 percent, but now i feel i might just about scrape an A, i am not happy !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWave93)
    I wrote maltase enzyme is present in the brush borders, which converts maltose to glucose, will that get me a mark?
    No because that is not speed up diffusion. I don't remember reading anything saying that there is maltase enzyme present on the brush boarder so I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    To your other question yeah the principle gets you a mark as it said show working.

I think the points on the epithelial cell must be that it is one cell thick therefore short diffusion pathway so diffusion is quicker, it has a lot of mitochondria to create ATP and release energy for active transport. And the microvilli and villi increase the surface area.

People are talking about blood but that will probably be wrong as it was just asking how the epithelial cell is adapted. You probably get one mark for stating the adaption and another on how it increases rate of diffusion.
    Wel i didnt talk about mitochondria as I totally forgot about it, or carrier proteins.
    I just wrote about villi, large surface area = more diffusion/ more absorption. thin walls = quicker diff.??! Also the NT says it is well supplied with blood vessels so can carry away absorbed molecules, will i get atleast 3? \:

ReputationRep:
    Genetic engineering's not on the Unit 1 AQA Biology and Disease unit specification...

ReputationRep:
    For the concentration of reducing sugar one I put something like water is incorporated into the sugars and so there since less water is present the concentration of reducing sugars increases as there is more reducing sugar present in a given volume of solvent.

marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Lol no, maybe you're paper was different. The last question for my paper was a 4marker on pagocytosis and 6 marker on the epithelial cells. And I know that was the last question because it said END and I was having to write around it.
    that was the penultimate question on mine. Im pretty sure u just missed that question out. Y would AQA release two versions of a paper? Haz2coolz had the paper aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    You had genetic engineering? Not sure if serious... You guys aren't wrong paper/pretending?
    It said end of questions after the epithelial cells.
    Lol, I don't think it would be possible for the majority of this people to miss out the same question. Plus, genetic engineering isn't in BIOL1 or 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoopyj)
    Founder effect?? i didnt even think of that!!! this is making me feel horrible. I was talking so much about Genetic Bottlenecks. Well that probably means im getting a U for this paper i hate my life right now
    Thats UNIT 2 for AQA. Do you do human biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpecialApple)
    Is it just me who is feeling slightly suicidal about this paper or..? :afraid:
    I'm actually really upset. LOL at my previous posts, i'm literally going mad.

ReputationRep:
    It was so vague. As soon as I came out, everyone was like :shock: SO VAGUE!
    Being vague is a good thing it means there is a much more potential answers that can get you marks.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no, maybe you're paper was different. The last question for my paper was a 4marker on pagocytosis and 6 marker on the epithelial cells. And I know that was the last question because it said END and I was having to write around it.
    Biology GCE unit 1, sat on the 16th May 2011, at 9:00am GMT...there was defo a question about genetic engineering on my paper :s it's kinda bugging me now, because no one knows the answer

Founder effect?? i didnt even think of that!!! this is making me feel horrible. I was talking so much about Genetic Bottlenecks. Well that probably means im getting a U for this paper i hate my life right now
    ahhhh damn!! yeah genetic bottlenecks might be right :s i didnt even think about that! you won't get a U, it was only 9 marks missed out dw

ReputationRep:
    I think ive lost quite a lot of marks on the hsw qs but everything else seems ok.
    What did everyone get for the question about why person B has emphysema?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    The phagocytosis one i think i got full marks in, alas the same cannot be said of the 6marker.

That's definitely the hardest bio1 paper aqa have made so far.
    phagocyte engulfs, distroys, lysosome hydrolyses etc?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    For the concentration of reducing sugar one I put something like water is incorporated into the sugars and so there since less water is present the concentration of reducing sugars increases as there is more reducing sugar present in a given volume of solvent.

marks?
    sameeee, i mentioned water reducing the concentration, but judging by what these guys are saying, its wrong !! im so angry !!!

ReputationRep:
    For the valves question i wrote 0.2-0.3 because the pressure in the ventricles was the highest! And when the AV valves the shut the pressure in the ventricles increases! think i got in the early 40s

ReputationRep:
    that was the penultimate question on mine. Im pretty sure u just missed that question out. Y would AQA release two versions of a paper? Haz2coolz had the paper aswell
    No, I didn't miss it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superstressed)
    I think ive lost quite a lot of marks on the hsw qs but everything else seems ok.
    What did everyone get for the question about why person B has emphysema?
    less reduction in pressure of lungs, so less air breathed out? due to loss of elasticity?!?

ReputationRep:
    Err why did the ventricle have more max pressure then atria? Was it due to having more muscle and pumping to the rest of the body (systemic circulation)

How was the ctrl grp treated?

...And what was the answer for the breast cancer conclusion question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz2coolz)
    Biology GCE unit 1, sat on the 16th May 2011, at 9:00am GMT...there was defo a question about genetic engineering on my paper :s it's kinda bugging me now, because no one knows the answer

ahhhh damn!! yeah genetic bottlenecks might be right :s i didnt even think about that! you won't get a U, it was only 9 marks missed out dw
    Was it "Biology and Disease" ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.