The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scaudwell
Sorry to harp on, but what is this pH question everyone is talking about? Something about people saying they put litmus paper and how that could be wrong....

I can't gauge the question from the context.

The answer was buffer solution, it that helps you remember. :smile:
I put "elastic fibres" for the emphysema question, will i lose the mark? :frown:
Reply 1422
Original post by Scaudwell
Sorry to harp on, but what is this pH question everyone is talking about? Something about people saying they put litmus paper and how that could be wrong....

I can't gauge the question from the context.

How could you maintain the PH of the wells in the agar jelly?

The answer was a buffer solution I think.. :smile:
Original post by Wick3d
That 40-45 ranges in the 80+ UMS. Also, you can easily retake your ISA. :smile:

I hope 40/60 gets me 80UMS. Then I only need 130/140 in Unit 2. Theres no point retaking the ISA, we apply to uni with the AS grades we have :frown:

looks like I will have to settle for AAAE. Thanks for making me feel a little better though :smile:
Reply 1424
I took my ISA practical in march...should I already have my results??
Original post by nasira372
I hope 40/60 gets me 80UMS. Then I only need 130/140 in Unit 2. Theres no point retaking the ISA, we apply to uni with the AS grades we have :frown:

looks like I will have to settle for AAAE. Thanks for making me feel a little better though :smile:

I'm sure you can apply to Uni with your AS grade pending. :smile:
Original post by Emily90

Depends on your teacher. I nagged mine to give it after she marked it.
Original post by Emily90

The deadline for sending them was friday 13th May so your teacher must know your grades
Original post by liviaaa
This all sounds good :biggrin: The last bit about Emphysema, I thought it was elastin destroyed though, not fibrin?

Wooh, my mistake :colondollar: Yeah, it was elastin I put in the exam. Head still a bit foggy after the intense mental workout :s-smilie:
Reply 1429
Well im doing my biology with ICS the distant learning programme so I dont suppose there is a website for the results?? lol
Original post by liviaaa
How could you maintain the PH of the wells in the agar jelly?

The answer was a buffer solution I think.. :smile:

Ha, oh right, I remember now. I said make sure the wells don't overlap. But I suppose the obvious answers sometimes pass you by. Thanks!
What's ISA?
Oh and what did you all put for the pH link to the agar wells?
Just remembered.

Which PH was the most efficient and why?
Original post by swiftylol
Just remembered.

pH 6. :smile:
Original post by ??????????????????
What's ISA?

Its what you do if you're not doing them EMPA.
Just remembered.

I thought 9 because it had the least agar which protease removed? But wasn't the question describe how pH affected it?
Original post by ??????????????????
What's ISA?

Internal Skills Assessment. It's the practical basically with the exam.
the lung question was that talking about volume or pressure on the table?
the heart question was pressure. but if i didnt read the lung one and it was pressure and not volume then im so screwed!

also what was the actualy wording of the last question? cos i just wrote the process of actiev transport carrier proteins, co transport, atp, diffusion gradients, facilitated diffusion all that bit. cos it was about glucose being absorbed and i didnt read adapted or anything so didnt say anything out microvilli?

also the one about calculating death rate. i said take all the people in the country who had breast cancer and find the proportiong of deaths of breast cancer out of them but dont think thats right? how many marks?

i thought it went really well after but thinking back now i fee like ive made so many mistakes! this was a resit as well so i was hoping for 100 UMS . I NEED A MARK SCHEME!?
Original post by Wick3d

Original post by Wick3d
pH 6. :smile:

And why? :awesome:
Its what you do if you're not doing them EMPA.

Differences? When are EMPA results given?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending