Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    trying not to go off topic, but how did everyone do in the isa? and which one did you do? i did the leaf isa and got 36 marks, have the grade boundaries been decided on this yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    Grr, the agar plate. I skipped it because the answers weren't coming to me quickly enough, and came back at the end; only I had about 2 minutes to spare. Managed to get down that 20degrees C or less would be suitable for storage because the enzyme is not active at this point, but I missed two 1-mark questions. Oh well, what different is 2 marks gonna make huh?
    Didn it say what temp should be used for the enzyme to work best at and you had to read the optimum temp off the graph which was 30-31? cos it was all about getting clear regions to show the prein and been broken down or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Crap, it was asking for storage? i put 30degrees, thought it was asking for optimum temp
    Same. I don't recall storage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Same. I don't recall storage.
    I don't remember storage either :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superstressed)
    I put work out the number of deaths due to cervical cancer using a representative sample of 100 000 people in each country.
    Wrong?
    Hell if i know. This is AQA we're talking about, horribly vague questions and mark schemes that don't match the questions is just how they roll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoopyj)
    lol these questions are getting annoying. Yeah it said BIOL1. but maybe our school just gave us a different paper. i really dont know. all i know is im going to be retaking
    AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    I don't remember storage either :indiff:
    same here :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember storage either ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    Grr, the agar plate. I skipped it because the answers weren't coming to me quickly enough, and came back at the end; only I had about 2 minutes to spare. Managed to get down that 20degrees C or less would be suitable for storage because the enzyme is not active at this point, but I missed two 1-mark questions. Oh well, what different is 2 marks gonna make huh?
    I'm pretty sure that its 30 or so because you need the maximum rate temperature wise for large enough clear areas (distinct) for more reliable results and to draw a more reliable conclusion. Storage was for the whole point of allowing time for the protease to perform its function rather than reducing its activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Crap, it was asking for storage? i put 30degrees, thought it was asking for optimum temp
    i put 30, i dont think it was asking aobut storage cos it said work best at which is optimum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    Hell if i know. This is AQA we're talking about, horribly vague questions and mark schemes that don't match the questions is just how they roll.
    AQA roll with vague questions and specific mark schemes. Sly *******s...

ReputationRep:
    Well, how'd it go?? :P

ReputationRep:
    I just realised everyone had different answers for the seconds in which the atrioventricular valves are closed? I cant remember which but i used the ones when the ventricle pressure is higher, explaining that it prevents the back flow of blood to the atrium.

Do they give a mark for the principle of dividing pressure/time? please hope so, as it was confusing.

ReputationRep:
    The question with the agar plate... what was it asking for again???

All i remember is chosing the one with the biggest diameter.

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone write for the question for explaining why the rate of reaction decreased from 30-50 degreees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    I'm pretty sure that its 30 or so because you need the maximum rate temperature wise for large enough clear areas (distinct) for more reliable results and to draw a more reliable conclusion. Storage was for the whole point of allowing time for the protease to perform its function rather than reducing its activity.
    Yeah because if it was lower than 30 it would be too slow. If it was higher it would just denature.

ReputationRep:
    & does anyone know when the mark scheme will be released?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    AQA?
    -Sigh- you quoted the troll. He might return to once again feed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkate1019x)
    what did everyone write for the question for explaining why the rate of reaction decreased from 30-50 degreees?
    Denature.
    Hydrogen bonds break.
    Tertiary structure changes
    Active site changes
    Enzyme substrate complex cant form.
    So rate of reaction decreases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkate1019x)
    Simple denaturing of enzyme, obviously with more detail.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.