Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.92%
    NO!
    45.08%

ReputationRep:
    Description, positive correlation; (1)
    ?????????; (1)
    Correlation not causation(1), other factors involved/named example given(1), 24 countries only, so you cant generalise findings(1) BUT positive correlation(1); (MAX 3)

/5

ReputationRep:
    3. Enzyme?!?
    Description of graph; (1)
    Active site now denatured/enzyme denatured (1), hydrogen bonds break(and ionic etc)(1), teritary structure changes(1), substrate cant bind, E-S cant form(1) (MAX 3)
    b)
    Add buffer SOLUTION (1) ;
    30/31 degrees as rate of reaction is fastest/optimum (1)
    Description, increase in PH, decreases the size of the circle, or increase? Can't remember (1)

/7

ReputationRep:
    4. Lungs?;
    Why breathing out? Decrease in tidal volume of lungs (1);
    Calculation (2); 1.4? (got that wrong), 1 mark for principle (dividing vol/time);
    Emphsema: not as much air breathed out as person A as the decrease in volume of lungs is less, (due to loss of elasticity) (MAX 1);
    Alveoli walls break down/walls THICKEN(1), reduces surface area (1)
    Loss of Elastin/ Loss of elasticity (so can't recoil/deflate fully) (1); reduces concentration/diffusion gradient (1) (MAX 4)

/7

ReputationRep:
    5. Heart?
    When valves are closed?;
    0.1-0.5 (1) - ACCEPT: two values where ventricle pressure is higher
    Atrioventricular valves are closed when the ventricles have a higher pressure than the atrium, (1), so it prevents the backflow of blood into the atrium (1) (MAX 3 for the whole question)
    Why do ventricles have a higher pressure;
    Ventricles pump blood to the rest of the body, e.g. tissues, and have a thick muscular wall, whereas atrium pump it to ventricles only, so have a thin muscular wall (1??)
    Heart Rate;
    60/0.7 = 85? (1)

/5

ReputationRep:
    How active transport differs from facilitated diffusion?
    (Active transport) requires ATP (1)
    works against the concentration gradient(1)

/2

ReputationRep:
    Chlamydia?
    Atheroma is caused by LDLs(or cholerstoral) (1) in artery wall (1);
    Atheroma linked to thombosis (1)
    Coronary artery blocked (1)
    means no oxygen can reach heart muscle(1)
    heart muscle cannot respire/dies(1) (MAX 3??)
    Antigen
    protein (1) which causes a stimulation in antibodies/causes an immune response(1)
    Why it attacks muscles
    Similar antigens(1)
    are COMPLEMENTARY (to muscles). REJECT: same

Evaluate:
    Yes - memory cells produced (1), so when pathogen invades again, much faster stimulation in antibodies (1) long term immunity?
    No - done on mice? - cant generalise (1) - memory cells (1)will attack the muscle(1), sample size unknown (?!??!) (1), side effects (1), antigenic variability (1) - pathogen may mutate, and form new strains(1)
    max 3.
    /10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMode0914)
    LOL!! That was very much in the heat of the moment but they did have lots of one markers though and some were tricky - You have to agree. Like the ones about calculating heartbeat, it was difficult to differentiate whether the cycle was 0.7 or 0.6. And the one about how they got the number of deaths from each ocuntry blah blah blah. And theyy had poorly worded question too!
    Hehe I know I hated both of them, especially the one about how they got the number of deaths? I left it hehe x

ReputationRep:
    Phagocytosis:
    Phagocytes engulf the pathogen (1)
    enclosed in a phagosome (1)
    lysosomes fuse with it/ it has enzymes(1)
    which hydrolyse the insoluble molecules/microorganism to much more soluble ones (1)
    it is absorbed into the cytoplasm (1) MAX 4.

6marker

Microvilli; (1)
    Increases surface area for ABSORPTION (1)
    Supplies with blood vessels (1);
    Can maintain diffusion gradient (1)
    Sodium-potassium transport/ CO-TRANSPORT (1);
    helps maintain diffusion gradient(1) ACCEPT: description of sodium-potassium transport
    Mitochondria is site of aerobic respiration (1)
    Produces ATP required for active transport (1)
    Carrier proteins ? (1) maintain diffusion gradient? (1)
    Maltase on epithelial LININING (1)
    breaks down maltose to two alpha glucose molecules (1)
    (MAX 6)

/10

END OF QUESTION PAPER. TOTAL: 60
    Do not rely on these answers, these are solely based on the million-paged discussion.

ReputationRep:
    WAIT? Is that the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Aah, forgot one question

Control group required to allow comparison with experimental group (1)
    Placebo/dummy drug (1), but everything else the same (1)
    Describe? (1)

/4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Aah, forgot one question

Control group required to allow comparison with experimental group (1)
    Placebo/dummy drug (1), but everything else the same (1)
    Describe? (1)

/4
    Thanks! Judging by this I lost about 10 marks. Looks like i may still get that A!

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine antigenic variability of the species itself and strains (other species) would be part of the no section of the evaluating the vaccine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    I would imagine antigenic variability of the species itself and strains (other species) would be part of the no section of the evaluating the vaccine...
    Forgot about that in the exam but that is obviously a valid point
    I think the markscheme is full of what everyone else wrote.... so hoping it's reliable

ReputationRep:
    Phagocytosis:
    Phagocytes engulf the pathogen (1)
    enclosed in a phagosome (1)
    lysosomes fuse with it/ it has enzymes(1)
    which hydrolyse the insoluble molecules/microorganism to much more soluble ones (1)
    it is absorbed into the cytoplasm (1) MAX 4.

6marker

Microvilli; (1)
    Increases surface area for ABSORPTION (1)
    Supplies with blood vessels (1);
    Can maintain diffusion gradient (1)
    Sodium-potassium transport (1);
    helps maintain diffusion gradient(1) ACCEPT: description of sodium-potassium transport
    Mitochondria is site of aerobic respiration (1)
    Produces ATP required for active transport (1)
    Carrier proteins ? (1) maintain diffusion gradient? (1)
    (MAX 6)

/10

END OF QUESTION PAPER. TOTAL: 60
    Do not rely on these answers, these are solely based on the million-paged discussion.
    Mentioning the co-transporter itself might be slightly more important than the Na-K pump when talking about the transport of glucose specifically. Sorry about these posts lol, otherwise, this a pretty reliable mark scheme. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Mentioning the co-transporter itself might be slightly more important than the Na-K pump when talking about the transport of glucose specifically. Sorry about these posts lol, otherwise, this a pretty reliable mark scheme. :thumbsup:
    Corrected .

What do you think you've got then?

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the above answers, I seem to have lost around 8-9 marks. So hopefully I can still get an A and high UMS... Need to focus on unit 2 now :no:

ReputationRep:
    Corrected .

What do you think you've got then?
    I'm only absolutely sure about one mark that I have lost which is the buffer one (so frustrated that I overlooked it... I guess I was a bit slack on that area of revision, been doing heart, lungs and immunity mostly) otherwise I can't pinpoint anything else. Although I've probably lost a handful more around... Just a critical guess... 6 - 7 marks in total lost?

ReputationRep:
    I'm only absolutely sure about one mark that I have lost which is the buffer one (so frustrated that I overlooked it... I guess I was a bit slack on that area of revision, been doing heart, lungs and immunity mostly) otherwise I can't pinpoint anything else. Although I've probably lost a handful more around... Just a critical guess... 6 - 7 marks in total lost?
    think i've lost around 9-10 marks, which is still okay
    good luck on your results.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think you will get a mark for mentioning caarier protiens or proteins channels

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1643032

markscheme!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.