Turn on thread page Beta

Maintenance loans don't even cover accommodation costs?! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glf2110)
    I think that as you will still be registered as a student (even though it's the summer hols) you can't claim job seekers.
    if you read it properly, it says about being a full time student over the summer holidays you can claim...if your available and actively seeking work.

so please read it properly [=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    The people who get grants don't get the full loan.
    What ? For me this is wrong.

I just did student finance. My loan was based on my income.

I also got a university e-mail telling me if I had less than 30,000 household income then I should apply for my bursary.

If my household income was 29,000 for example I would of got 5 750 (full loan I don't remember exactly) as well as my tuition fee paid. I would also of got around 4k in bursaries.

If my family were on 29k I would of got around 6k extra (4k of that not payable back). My family are nowhere near that though. Luckily for me they are very generous so money wont be a problem. I know some people in my area who have bad relationships with their parents and uni has been/will be a real struggle for them.

Imagine only getting 3750 to live on for the year ? No extra loans or bursaries. I know two people that will be in this situation next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    What ? For me this is wrong.

I just did student finance. My loan was based on my income.

I also got a university e-mail telling me if I had less than 30,000 household income then I should apply for my bursary.

If my household income was 29,000 for example I would of got 5 750 (full loan I don't remember exactly) as well as my tuition fee paid. I would also of got around 4k in bursaries.

If my family were on 29k I would of got around 6k extra (4k of that not payable back). My family are nowhere near that though. Luckily for me they are very generous so money wont be a problem. I know some people in my area who have bad relationships with their parents and uni has been/will be a real struggle for them.

Imagine only getting 3750 to live on for the year ? No extra loans or bursaries. I know two people that will be in this situation next year.
    Do you mean Maintenance grant of £2906 + £1000 bursary? But you only get the top whack of MG and bursary if your HHI is under £25k.
    You must also be studying in London to get such a large amount of ML?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    if you read it properly, it says about being a full time student over the summer holidays you can claim...if your available and actively seeking work.

so please read it properly [=
    But I'm not a lone parent and I don't have a partner who is also a full-time student of which one of us is responsible for a child or young person.

Confused.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean Maintenance grant of £2906 + £1000 bursary? But you only get the top whack of MG and bursary if your HHI is under £25k.
    You must also be studying in London to get such a large amount of ML?
    Yes I live in London.

Still for someone not living in London:

"The maximum Maintenance Loan available for students starting their course in 2010/11 and 2011/12 is:

£3,838 if you’re living at home
    £4,950 if you’re living away from home outside London

and the maximum Maintenance Grant available is:

£2,906 for 2010/11"

On top of tuition being paid you get around 8k if you have the right household income outside London (and I have not even taken into account university bursaries this is just student finance). This compared to the 3750 I am getting because my household income is so high. I don't have a problem with it because my parents are so helpful. My best friend isn't in the same situation though. He'll be living on 3750 and a job for the whole year. He's had to take a gap year and work just to be able to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm not a lone parent and I don't have a partner who is also a full-time student of which one of us is responsible for a child or young person.

Confused.:confused:
    still might aswell apply, the worst they can say is no, and watch students end up sleeping in the guters [=

ReputationRep:
    As far as the benefits system is concerned students are funded by their loan for the summer. Calaiming JSA in the summer months is benefit fraud. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I live in London.

Still for someone not living in London:

"The maximum Maintenance Loan available for students starting their course in 2010/11 and 2011/12 is:

£3,838 if you’re living at home
    £4,950 if you’re living away from home outside London

and the maximum Maintenance Grant available is:

£2,906 for 2010/11"

On top of tuition being paid you get around 8k if you have the right household income outside London (and I have not even taken into account university bursaries this is just student finance). This compared to the 3750 I am getting because my household income is so high. I don't have a problem with it because my parents are so helpful. My best friend isn't in the same situation though. He'll be living on 3750 and a job for the whole year. He's had to take a gap year and work just to be able to go to university.
    But you don't get the full loan if you get any grant. I know someone who studies outside London and lives away from home and he gets just over £6k when he adds the 2 together.

ReputationRep:
    But you don't get the full loan if you get any grant. I know someone who studies outside London and lives away from home and he gets just over £6k when he adds the 2 together.
    Ahh sorry that's my mistake, didn't realise. I did read student finance all the way through but I still never really understood it. Still can't find anywhere that says the two are related.

The way it made it seem when I was doing my application was that the two aren't related.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are in that situation. SFE assume (wrongly in a lot of cases) that parents can afford to give their children A LOT more than they can in reality. I got a job to make up the difference, and was lucky enough to have saved up since I was younger anyway, even though I didn't really know what I was saving up for at the time lol.

ReputationRep:
    I mean come on it's a loan, we're going to pay it back ? So why not let everyone get the full loan then bursaries can be awarded based on household income.
    I know. I don't understand why if income is taken into account in the giving out of grants and bursaries, it is also taken into account with the maintenance loan. Everyone should be able to get the same amount of loan, with grants and bursaries taking household income into account.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, except my parents have said they won't be giving me money. It's a shame that there's not some way this can be taken into account - I live at home, but I'm financially self-sufficient (I have two jobs and buy everything for myself, including food and now rent). So really, it's my income that the SLC should be assessing and not my parents' as they don't spend anything on me whatsoever, but since I'm only 18 it's their income which is taken into account.

I don't even mind getting a job while at uni, but if I end up at Cambridge I think you actually agree not to get a job in termtime as part of your contract. So I'm not sure what I'll do either really, OP. I'm going to try and get a third job this summer, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh sorry that's my mistake, didn't realise. I did read student finance all the way through but I still never really understood it. Still can't find anywhere that says the two are related.

The way it made it seem when I was doing my application was that the two aren't related.
    You didn't try very hard then.
    5 seconds on Google found this. Very clearly shows the link half way down.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_174046

ReputationRep:
    My SLC loan is £2324 and I just hope that I get a reasonable amount of income assessed NHS bursary. Accommodation at my insurance choice is going to cost about £5800 as my course is nearly the full year. A 39 week contract isn't long enough. We can't get part time work as our work placements don't allow it. The joys of being a nurse.
    least you don't pay tuition fees..

ReputationRep:
    I am entitled to the minimum loan and like you it wont even cover my rent.

Luckily for me my parents are helping out but I do think it's unfair that people should be put in that situation just because of their parents wages.

I mean come on it's a loan, we're going to pay it back ? So why not let everyone get the full loan then bursaries can be awarded based on household income.
    Although I think it's unfair that it is based on parents income. Where do you think the money for giving everybody the full loan will come from.

ReputationRep:
    I could moan about the system all day

Loads of my friends get £6000 + and only pay back £3000 of that. I got £5000 and have to pay back £4850 because of what my Mum earns. Well guess who dropped out of uni quite largely because she couldn't afford it. Not my friends, meeeeeeeee

Sad as it is it is very common for a lot of middle class students and you have to try and fund the rest yourself. Don't forget most banks give a £1000 free overdraft in year one which you could aim to pay back by working in summers etc, that's a nice help for a little cashflow problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplePi)
    For first year my timetable is basically full, so this would be difficult. My parents have agreed to help out so hopefully it should be ok...
    I know, it's so difficult to fit a job around a full time study, glad to hear your parents can help you out.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is either too rich parents or too expensive accomodation. Solution = get cheaper accomodation or get the money off your parents.

ReputationRep:

rated positive for humility. More people like you please!

ReputationRep:
    It was Labours way of screwing the middle class

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.