The Student Room Group

Maintenance loans don't even cover accommodation costs?!

Scroll to see replies

My parents cant put that much towards accommodation and ive been struggling to get a job here for 5 months so what am i supposed to do when i first move into uni?? starve, my dad may make more money but he has four kids and its not as simple as just paying my accommodation. If i cant get a job in the first month whilst there i will have to drop out of university :frown:
i only had £1 a week left after :frown:
but... i could apply to uni for a bit extra because my loan all went on living costs cant remember exactly what they called it but it was something that noone knew about so they didnt have to pay it :O!
see the uni about it... maybe they will have something similar in place
x
Reply 42
I only get the minimal loan which is £3293. My rent for the year in the smallest cheapest room I could find is £3840. Luckily for me I had a part time job during my A levels that lets me go back over the holidays and I get more money from working over Christmas Easter and summer than I do from my loans. My parents will help but only if I still need it after spending the holidays doing paid work.

While I've never had to go into my overdraught or ask my parents for money, I haven't had the holidays free to do unpaid relevant work experience so it will be much harder for me to get a job when I graduate.
You can only claim Jobseekers Allowance in the summer as a student if you are a single parent or you are both students and have a child to look after.
Take a gap year and work all year to save up lots of money to help pay for university if you are really worried about the finances.
Reply 45
Original post by happydinosaur
Take a gap year and work all year to save up lots of money to help pay for university if you are really worried about the finances.

If you take a gap year you'll get done for the £9000 tuition fees (unless youre NHS funded)
Original post by glf2110
If you take a gap year you'll get done for the £9000 tuition fees (unless youre NHS funded)

Indeed. The advice still applies though as people thinking about university might be reading this and I wouldn't want them to be put off by the thought of not being able to afford it.

But if you won't have any money to live off in the first place £9000 in tutition fees that you may never even pay back could be a preferable option. If I was faced with the choice between not even having enough money to pay for somewhere to live and taking out a bigger loan for fees then I'd consider taking time to earn money to live off.

Since I graduated nearly 2 years ago I've only paid back about £30 of my student debt. I worked out if I stayed on my current salary for life it would take me hundreds of years to pay it all back (and I don't even have thatmuch as I was under the pre-top up fees system) so I highly doubt many people under the lastest fees will ever pay it back. Doesn't seem worth worrying about when you think of it like that.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending