Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure what to do... watch

Announcements

Anon for obvious reasons, personal stuff.

I'll try and explain the situation in as few words as possible, without going into too much detail, as I know she wouldn't want this stuff up on here, but I genuinely have no idea how to handle this situation.
    I don't really want to talk to family about it, as shes told me things she hasn't told anyone else, so she wouldn't appreciate my parents/sister knowing.

Ok, to start with, we've been going out for a while now, and as time goes on have become more attached etc, have thought about the future etc, so it can feel fine at times, but she has had an eventful past, a number of life changing things have happened and had a strong affect on her, mentally.
    These things would without a doubt affect anyone in a very dramatic way, so it's not like these things can be forgotten.

She always told me she was a bit crazy, but me being me, I clearly didn't understand how she really felt, it's only recently she has really let me know how she truly feels.

Basically due to this, she doesn't believe she can ever be happy, and she genuinely can't see the point in living. I know she has attempted things before.

I just really have no idea what to do, I feel helpless, it's affecting me way more than she thinks as well, I really want to make her happy again, but it just seems as if she's already given up.

What would you do in this situation?

There are also ongoing personal problems for her, which are adding to, and causing this feeling.

ReputationRep:
    You can't make her happy, this will have to come from herself. You need to make sure she knows that you're there for her, no matter what and I would probably advise seeing a counsellor/trying to get a referral to see a psychiatrist. Do you mean that she's having suicidal thoughts? If you don't feel like you can handle this alone, maybe talk to one of your parents/someone you trust to keep it confidential, you could ask your girlfriend first to see what she says. It is a lot to handle alone and you don't sound very old.

I'm in a similar position (me being the one with the problems) and I know it's really hard for my boyfriend. If it were me (And I am in this position) I'd want you to talk to me about it. She doesn't want you to be confused or not know what to do.

Support her as much as you can, and although it's hard, try not to get frustrated when things are difficult. The things she says/does when she's feeling low aren't necessarily how she would normally act.

If you want to talk about this further, tell me and I'll take off the anonymous part

Thanks, she's tried the whole councilling thing and seeing a psychiatrist, and yes, suicidal thoughts, I know it's a genuine feeling.
    I'm in my 3rd year of Uni, so not that young, I've just never had to deal with a situation like this before, so it's quite confusing as to know how to respond and deal with the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a girl for a while who was like this but permanently. Throw that in with being so self conscious she would always cover he face when in contact with people it was never going to work.

Over 2 month I tried to help her and learnt that with someone in that situation I don't think anyone but themselves can help.

At this point I had to end it. Was very messy and very hard.

ReputationRep:
    In the situation man. You just gotta be there for her and stand strong when she needs it. PM me if you need to talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, she's tried the whole councilling thing and seeing a psychiatrist, and yes, suicidal thoughts, I know it's a genuine feeling.
    I'm in my 3rd year of Uni, so not that young, I've just never had to deal with a situation like this before, so it's quite confusing as to know how to respond and deal with the situation.
    I don't know what else to say really, I think the most important thing is that she knows you're there for her. Could you maybe talk to someone at uni confidentially (perhaps don't specify it's your girlfriend, just a friend) and get some advice? If the she feels the counselling didn't work, has she been back to her doctor? If her family problems are permenant it is really something that needs to be sorted out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.