Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    vertical gene transmission too :P .

Also i didn't mention "Natural Selection" , i put "selection advantage", would i still get the mark?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    But the athletes may have different levels of EPO to other people.
    If synthetic EPO increases RBC production, couldn't you just measure the concentration of RBCs in a healthy person's blood (of a large sample size), work out a reliable average and then compare it to the concentration of RBCs in the athelete? To draw up a conclusion as to whether the athelete was using synthetic EPO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    Not flagellum, sperm cells have them...

I put cell wall.

And also, how did you guys interpret the light sensitive thing for the question after on adaption for maximum photosynthesis?
    Something a long the lines of: absorb maximum amount of light for photosynthesis, so a higher level can be maintained.
    I made a point about chloroplasts, may have been a bit too obvious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thorpea!)
    If synthetic EPO increases RBC production, couldn't you just measure the concentration of RBCs in a healthy person's blood (of a large sample size), work out a reliable average and then compare it to the concentration of RBCs in the athelete? To draw up a conclusion as to whether the athelete was using synthetic EPO.
    I said;

Synthesise an antibody that is complimentary to Heamoglobin/Red blood cells (which ever the Q asked for)

Take a urine or blood sample from the patient

The response will be in a form of a precipiatate. The more precipitate, the more antigen-antibody complexes formed and the greater the conc of Red blood cells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benevolence)
    I said;

Synthesise an antibody that is complimentary to Heamoglobin/Red blood cells (which ever the Q asked for)

Take a urine or blood sample from the patient

The response will be in a form of a precipiatate. The more precipitate, the more antigen-antibody complexes formed and the greater the conc of Red blood cells.
    That's a pretty cool and out of the box solution to it, but knowing aqa the mark scheme will say something ludicrous no one would of thought of.

ReputationRep:
    Something a long the lines of: absorb maximum amount of light for photosynthesis, so a higher level can be maintained.
    i wrote about chloroplasts and thylakoids, aswell as the light sensitive spot

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say chloroplasts, but I realised that it was just 1 chloroplast with lots of chlorphyll inside, but then I realised that they didn't label the chlorophyll so i don't think I mentioned that. But I may be wrong. Scrap that, I probably am wrong :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzola)
    Gotta disagree, starch has nothing to do with photosynthesis (apart from glucose produced). They don't deliberately try to trick you. I put It can use flagella and light sensitive spot to move to areas of high light intensity, hence capturing the maximum amount of light for photosynthesis. They would have put those on there for a reason.
    Wait, what? I don't know about you but we were talking about the question which asked us to name 2 things that were not present in eukaryotes.. and yes I also spoke about the light sensitive eye helping it move to areas of high light density for more efficient photosynthesis, but on a different question..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpecialApple)
    I wouldn't class HSW as 'crap'. It obviously differentiates between candidates who simply learn the book off by heart and those who can adapt the knowledge they have learned into given situations.
    If someone's got a good enough memory to be able to learn the book off by heart they're probably clever enough to be able to answer the HSW questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    If someone's got a good enough memory to be able to learn the book off by heart they're probably clever enough to be able to answer the HSW questions.
    Don't just make assumptions, but whatever, your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike frogs now!
    For the frog Q was it about the frog eggs having a large surface area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpecialApple)
    Don't just make assumptions, but whatever, your opinion.
    I'm not making assumptions. Cleverer people have better memories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piripiriprincess)
    I really dislike frogs now!
    For the frog Q was it about the frog eggs having a large surface area?
    :yep:

...or large surface area to volume ratio.

ReputationRep:
    She said "pens down" and just before that moment i realised it was "large surface area to volume ratio" for that eggs question, i was writing so fast you could see smoke rising from my paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    I'm not making assumptions. Cleverer people have better memories.
    Not necessarily, you'd be amazed at how hard clever people work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mina!SS)
    I put, the bacteria that survive develop resistence and pass on the resistant DNA to other bacteri by conjugation through horizontal transmission. Then the resistant Dna is passed to the next generation by vertical transmission.
    I dont think i'm gona get full marks for that though,, i dont know what the 5th and 6th mark were..
    I also put down something about selection and that the non-resistant bacteria would be killed by anti-biotics and then the resistant would be allowed to grow and divide without competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairen886)
    Yeah the highes A boundary I have found has been 55, so 52 sounds reasonable
    I found a document on the AQA website somewhere with the marks required to obtain the different marks for each exam session. For Unit 2 in June last year 69% gave an A.

ReputationRep:
    for the first question's answer i put chloraplasts and the light sensitive eye thing :s is that wrong?? :| ..cant believe i didnt write cell wall down-_-! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onelessdayofschool)
    During the exam, the walls started leaking. It was like a flipping WATERFALL onto people's HEADS. Try that for relaxing.
    Aha a same, genuinely thought that the world was ending outside of the hall or something with the hail, rain and thunder! Everyone was just laughig though even the invigilators haha

ReputationRep:
    Can someone do an unofficial mark scheme thing
    to condense all this down

Thanks!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.