Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barzy_j)
    Which question?
    the dna hybrid 3 marker

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I was talking about another question.. I can't remember this 3 marker but if that is what you put then yes you have all 3 mark points:

Higher temps means species are more closely related;
    More complementary base pairing within hybrid strands;
    Hence more hydrogen bons;
    As a result, more heat is required to seperate strands, the higher the temp, the more closely related
    kk i think you was talkin about that two mark table question lol , and i agree with you taht frog question how is that related to surface area . volume

ReputationRep:
    No there was another 2 marker after the table that said something else, but never mind, and no neither do I
    i thought the paper was harder than the june 2010 and jan 11 what do you think

ReputationRep:
    It was, A will be around 60/61
    an A for june 2010 was 59.
    It won't exceed 60.

ReputationRep:
    I swear it was similar in difficulty to Jan 11 and that has A at 54...

ReputationRep:
    na i think it will be 55 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowpurpleyellow)
    Sorry i don't understand the answer... Could you please explain it a little more? Like what did you write? I definately got it wrong i think
    Sorry, what question was this?

I've forgotten the context of my reply and can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to search it out.

If it was something about frogs' eggs and pesticides, which I think it was, then a large surface area to volume ratio means that the pesticide diffuses more rapidly into the organism and so, this effect is more pronounced as frogs' eggs are small.

Not entirely sure what the question was, but the answer was probably something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    I swear it was similar in difficulty to Jan 11 and that has A at 54...
    jan 11 was easier i think lol less how science work questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introverted moron)

I've forgotten the context of my reply and can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to search it out.

If it was something about frogs' eggs and pesticides, which I think it was, then a large surface area to volume ratio means that the pesticide diffuses more rapidly into the organism and so, this effect is more pronounced as frogs' eggs are small.

Not entirely sure what the question was, but the answer was probably something along those lines.
    I didnt actually include the words SA:V ratio but i think that was worth the first mark was the second mark about more pesticide effecting it, etc? |:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingam)
    jan 11 was easier i think lol less how science work questions
    Meh... can't tell/or remember now...

I would hazard a guess that A is 56/57 and full UMS is probably 66/67+...

Edit: saw your edit

ReputationRep:
    I just said they were small and not mature - hence more volatile to pesticide or something like that.. and for the evaporation I said the frogs were perhaps more exposed - ahh dear
    Do you do A Level Chem by any chance? :p:

I wrote exactly the same as you... had nay clue what to write so brought in collision theory. Evaporation = less water, so same number of things in less space meaning increased chance of collision.

ReputationRep:
    I am in AS yes, and that is actually correct but surely that's over the top from AQA, it was 2 marks
    I'm AS too, I just call it A Level. :awesome: Either way, we're starting A2 work soon.

What's over the top from AQA? The whole conc gradient thing? I actually thought it was a reasonable question... I just can't do HSW.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is still going?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, we are too, 3 weeks of college work on A2 before summer holidays..

And yeah, I didn't like the question..

And HSW is hard because it relies on common sense, and it's not a matter of having it or not, it's just realising stuff quickly and making it make sense - if this made any sense to you, I will be proud of myself
    We're back to school next Wednesday.... I'm guessing you lot get a tad longer off? :o: I'm kind of excited though, we'll be able to go to lessons and learn without stressing about getting content done in time for exams!

Same... I didn't like any question tbh... every question I've discussed I've dropped at least one mark from haha.

I know what you mean (so be proud of yourself ), you have to be able to articulate it... especially the control group questions and that question about finding out whether athlete's OBG level was above av... I was just like WTF, AQA. My 10 year old sister could answer this, what do you want me to say exactly? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember the question in full, did it ask what higher temps suggest? I am sure it says how is temperature used to calculate %.. anyway, the table question, you didn't get tricked did you? The highest % wasn't the two species most closely related because they already were the same species
    Lolz, I wonder how many people fell for it :holmes:

Anyways, for the question asking on conditions to keep constant, would it be conditions that affect transpiration such as temprature, humidity, wind movement, light intensity etc?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, we are too, 3 weeks of college work on A2 before summer holidays..

And yeah, I didn't like the question..

And HSW is hard because it relies on common sense, and it's not a matter of having it or not, it's just realising stuff quickly and making it make sense - if this made any sense to you, I will be proud of myself
    you know for that question your saying i got tricked on lol how did you asnwer it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Lolz, I wonder how many people fell for it :holmes:

Anyways, for the question asking on conditions to keep constant, would it be conditions that affect transpiration such as temprature, humidity, wind movement, light intensity etc?
    yes i mentioned them factors

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you was tricked, it was a question.. and I think I got the two species top of the table or something, wasn't the highest percentage of them all but the highest between 2 different species, it came up on another past paper
    lol thats what i got lmao but im talking about a different question never mind what did you right for the explanation bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introverted moron)

Lol oops sorry for being unclear... But wow that was the question, thanks!! And i got it wrong I'd never seen a question like it But it's ok... hopefully apart from that it went ok *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    yeah thats exactly it !! some people tend to go overboard for the extra marks, when actually they score full marks for saying starch is insoluble and has no osmotic effects.
    I don't think I write the 'no osmotic effect' thing.
    I wrote its insoluble then couldn't think of a way to say that theres no effect aha. Fail.
    Ah well
    Thanks for the reassurance though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.