Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I was revising today, and realised basically I understand why there is the first cell division in meiosis. But why have a 2nd?

The first stage created 2 haploid cells as far as I can make out, and then by dividing again, doesn't the 4 cells just get one chromatid from each chromosome? How does this work, and surely when they fuse in fertilisation there would just be two lots of 23 chromatids fusing, whereas what is wanted is two lots of 23 chromosomes fusing in fertilisation to get 23 homologous pairs?

What am I missing?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleema1992)
    Going good for bio not other subjects wa bou u?
    u prepared for this thursdaii
    not fully prepared on these topics :- variation, antibiotic resistance and biodiversity.i have read and understand but i feel am not confident to answer HSW que. do you have any exam questions related to this topics to help me out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george424)
    Hello everyone!

I was revising today, and realised basically I understand why there is the first cell division in meiosis. But why have a 2nd?

The first stage created 2 haploid cells as far as I can make out, and then by dividing again, doesn't the 4 cells just get one chromatid from each chromosome? How does this work, and surely when they fuse in fertilisation there would just be two lots of 23 chromatids fusing, whereas what is wanted is two lots of 23 chromosomes fusing in fertilisation to get 23 homologous pairs?

What am I missing?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
    The first division will form two intermediate haploid cells in which both of them will contain 23 chromosomes, with each chromosome having 2 chromatids and so a total of 46 chromatids in each of these 2 cells.

Now the second division occurs, in this the 23 chromosomes with 2 chromatids split to form 2 separate chromatids. These chromatids are now referred to as chromosomes hence forming 4 cells each containing 23 chromosomes.

Main Point: When Chromatids split from the chromosome they become 2 separate chromosomes.

I hope you understand now.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the Nelson Thornes textbook,go to page 192

Is this topic even in the spec? I've never seen a question on this ever, not even on the old specification papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therapist_1)
    The first division will form two intermediate haploid cells in which both of them will contain 23 chromosomes, with each chromosome having 2 chromatids and so a total of 46 chromatids in each of these 2 cells.

Now the second division occurs, in this the 23 chromosomes with 2 chromatids split to form 2 separate chromatids. These chromatids are now referred to as chromosomes hence forming 4 cells each containing 23 chromosomes.

Main Point: When Chromatids split from the chromosome they become 2 separate chromosomes.

very well done ive always been wondering this because the officl book was so confusing but it doesnt usually come up, maybe concept is gd tohugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    Anyone got the Nelson Thornes textbook,go to page 192

Is this topic even in the spec? I've never seen a question on this ever, not even on the old specification papers
    yes it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    yes it is
    Could anyone direct me to some questions on it? Can't find any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    Could anyone direct me to some questions on it? Can't find any
    how does water enter xylem and how does actice transport of salt help ????

Explain and describe lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap, wrong page, Nelson Thornes textbook,go to page 134

Never seen a question on it

ReputationRep:

Explain and describe lol

Once water has entered the protoplast of the endodermal cells, they will actively pump ions and salts into the xylem by active transport. This will create a water potential gradient, because the water potential of the xylem will decrease and there will be a higher water potential in the endodermal cells. Water will then move down a water potentail gradient by osmosis into the xylem.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    Once water has entered the protoplast of the endodermal cells, they will actively pump ions and salts into the xylem by active transport. This will create a water potential gradient, because the water potential of the xylem will decrease and there will be a higher water potential in the endodermal cells. Water will then move down a water potentail gradient by osmosis into the xylem.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
    nice answer but Nuss was meant to answer that LOL

ReputationRep:
    nice answer but Nuss was meant to answer that LOL
    LOL, oh well sorry, it helped me revise because I had to explain it from memory

ReputationRep:

Thanks so much, that really helps! I understand it now.

And to everyone who says it won't come up, it probably won't, I was just interested in the subject I'm studying and want to understand it fully!

ReputationRep:

Explain and describe lol
    salts reduces wp in root creating wp gradient so water enters by osmosis
    apoplast/symplast used to transport water through cortex to xylem

but my real point was, is the stuff on page 134 of the nelson even in the spec?

ReputationRep:
    So has everyone revised cerebral functions???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    lower affinity for oxygen means that when it unloads it, it unloads it easier. am i correct ??
    I believe lower affinity for oxygen means when it is shifted to the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    I believe lower affinity for oxygen means when it is shifted to the right.
    correct because a high affinity means it binds to it more easily ( moves left ), so yes, your right

ReputationRep:
    :ff2:
    In metaphase chromosomes do not line up at the centromere of the cell they line up at the equator of the cell. Then the centromere of the chromosome is attached to a spindle fibre.

In anaphase the spindle fibres contract and not shorten, you could have lost marks for incorrect terminology.

Its just that, that made me think alot, you were quite right after all.:rolleyes:
    no, it is correct in aqa mark schemes to refer to the spindles as shortening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affleming)
    no, it is correct in aqa mark schemes to refer to the spindles as shortening.
    Oh I'm sorry, I answered that just refering to my notes and the text book. Just to stay on the safe side its better to say contracts :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Or both :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.